by StinkyPantz 117 Replies latest social current

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    Crime
    Total Crime per 100,000 3,563 13,296 6,659 1,466 30,406 5,660
    Murder rate per 100,000 1 2 4 1 13 4
    Overall Crime Ratings 2 4 5 1 6 3

Crime and Justice in the United States and in England and Wales, 1981-96

Compares crime in the United States and England with respect to crime rates (as measured both by victimization surveys and police statistics), conviction rates, incarceration rates, and length of sentences. Crime rates as measured in victim surveys are all higher in England than the United States. Crime rates as measured in police statistics are higher in England for half of the measured crime types. A person committing serious crime in the United States is generally more likely than one in England to be caught, convicted, and incarcerated. Incarceration sentences are also generally longer in the United States than England.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/cjusew96.htm

-----------

Why did I post this? Because in a recent thread someone was complaining about the crime rates in the U.S. being so high and that England's justice system is so much more advanced. Well, the numbers show that England's crime rate it higher.

• Hamas
    Hamas
    someone was complaining about the crime rates in the U.S. being so high and that England's justice system is so much more advanced

Ha ! What a fool ! One thing about America, the justice system works far better than this sh*thole.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Hamas-

I suppose that you are being sarcastic. If you disagree with me, show proof. I never said that the American justice system was great, I'm merely pointing out that England's isn't much better.

• bigboi
    bigboi

This is surprising. Especially given the fact that you can't own guns in Britain. THe most shocking thing I think about the murder rate in the US is the fact that so man of them are gun related. However at first glance this seems to lend credence to the saying guns dont kill ppl, ppl kill ppl.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Bigboi-

I believe that if someone wants to kill you, they'll do it. A gun is the easiest way to do this, and yes, more homicides in the U.S. are committed with guns. I guess in England they're a bit more inventive.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Interesting post Stinky. Here's another quote regarding misstating violence in the U.S. with regards to suicide:

"Gun death" statistics are frequently cited, in the manner above, to strongly suggest that guns are the cause behind the high violent death rate in the U.S. As in the case of the Los Angeles Times article, no mention is made that over half of those violent deaths are suicides. The CNN article mentions gun homicides and gun suicides, but fails to show us the total violent death rate of other countries, not just gun deaths. For example, in Japan, where gun ownership is rare, its total suicide rate is higher than our total suicide rate.

Combining gun suicide and homicide deaths creates a sensational comparison with other countries, but only clouds and distorts the many factors actually behind violent death rates. Looking at only gun deaths, it is easy to get the false impression that, because of guns, the United States is the most violent country on earth."

Statistics bear out the fact that the U.S. is farther down the violence list of 'civilized' countries... more than one would suspect.

• Hamas
    Hamas

No Stinky, I wasn't being at all sarcastic.

I hate the legal system in England, I think the American version is far superior. Sorry If I gave you that impression.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Another misleading statistic about gun violence in America is about the number of children who die from guns. Most of the numbers factor in near adult aged gangbangers who get killed for totally different reasons than little Johnny who accidentally shoots himself with his dad's pistol. Most of the deaths include the first group. (see:http://www.co-freedom.com/2001/03/tiemann.html . Other sources also calibrate this, I'm just too lazy to look it up now ).

Guns don't kill, people do. The reasons for high murder rates are more complex than the ability to get a firearm easily.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Well maybe if we Americans all gave up our guns our crime rate would drop to next-to-nothing.

Mike.

p.s. BTW thought I'd add this little warning I came across. Don't mix Pop-Rocks candy with Coke or Pepsi! It can KILL you! Remember that little boy in the Life Cereal commercials, Mikey? He did that and it killed him!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Homicide rate selected cities (99-00; per 100,000 population):

London: 2.38

Paris: 2.85

Berlin 2.52

Oslo 1.51

Dallas 20.42

NYC 8.77

Washington DC 45.79

For countries (Avg homicide rate per 100K, 98-00):

England & Wales: 1.50