Is There Something You Want To Get Off of Your Chest or Vent About???

by minimus 106 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Nah...... thanks anyway..... I'm not into bitchfests.

Love, Scully

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

ikhandi

I love rock. I know that not everybody loves rock. Therefore, when I am in my car, I listen to my rock music only loud enough so that I can hear it. I do not put a 1000 watt slammin' system in my car to treat everybody else to my tastes in music.

I wish the ding-dongs who listen to rap would show the same courtesy.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Okay, I have to vent, at the risk of being considered politically incorrect. Today I went to our local McDonald's. The lady who stepped up to take my order obviously had English as a second, or maybe third, language. My heart sank. I've been through this before. I said: "I want two Happy Meals, one with a hamburger, . . ." She interrupted me. "You want Happy Meal?" "Yes. I want two: one with a hamburger, mustard and ketchup only, the other with a cheeseburger, nothing on it." She looked at me blankly. I repeated it again, VERY slowly. She repeated it back to me in broken English. I took it home and found a hamburger with ketchup only, and a cheeseburger with ketchup and pickles. *sigh*

This happens a lot. I think I'm going to have to resurrect my high school Spanish in order to get a Whopper or Big Mac the way I want it, which doesn't seem fair. If I go to Mexico, I expect to order in Spanish. When I went to Paris, I was not offended at people who would not or could not speak English, even though I don't speak French (wish I did -- it's on my to-do list). When I am in Texas, I expect people to speak English. Is that wrong????

Nina

• Soledad
    Soledad
    When I am in Texas, I expect people to speak English. Is that wrong????

I didn't know English was spoken in Texas!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Actually it t'aint son! We here speak Texican if yew must know!

Damn straight.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I agree with you cruzanheart.

When people immigrate to the United States, it should be THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to learn the native language of English!

As an example, if someone moved to Mexico, they would need to learn Spanish to function properly. People could not expect to speak English and broken-Spanish and be able to work with no communication problems there. In fact, you would be insulted and called "gringo" and other worse names for not speaking Spanish. Yet so many immigrate (legally AND illegally just shows how bad they want in the country) here and do not learn the language? What is even funnier is the same people would get mad with an American for the same behavior.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

To take it one step further the responsibility their children have is so immense can you imagine a child having to be the mediator between their parents and bill collectors, police etc. How unfair and some NEVER EVER even try to learn the language geesh Thunder can rant about this forever. I know at Citibank it got old having children call in to talk to us about THEIR parents credit. I had to verify of course with this non english speaking (pick any nationality) WHICH took forever for example:

Me; 'Citibank"

child "My Mother needs to know why she is charged for ....

Me: To be able to speak with you about your Mothers card I need her to vervy some information and give permission etc.

Child: "Ok ...<language spoken to Mother"

Mother: <Speaking broken english> Yes you need wah

Me: I need to verify with you your first and last name

Mother: Name name what is name

Me: < Putting call on mute so she can't hear and screaming "YOUR FRIGGIN NAME YOUR NAME" getting back on phone> I need you to tell me what your name is and can I speak with your son

(45 minutes later) I am able to finish my call

• Beans
    Beans

Venters!

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    When people immigrate to the United States, it should be THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to learn the native language of English!

I have a woman who works with me, who speaks very little English. I am trying to teach her. At least she is willing to learn.

• nilfun
    nilfun

WH, that's so nice of you...reminds me of a very sweet lady that I try and talk with.

The broken English that she speaks is loads better than my bumbling attempts at Spanish. LoL.

But she is very patient with me as I struggle to communicate with her. And when she tries out her English (which she takes classes for and is working hard on learning) I feel the same as you: at least she is willing to learn.

I would hate for anyone to become upset or fed up with her because her English is not the best. I hope that if anyone does become upset at her broken English, they might consider the possibility that she is still in the process of learning another language.

She could just keep her mouth shut and not speak English at all if the sound of her attempts at it are annoying to some folks, but then, she wouldn't get as much practice, would she?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit