Is There Something You Want To Get Off of Your Chest or Vent About???

by minimus 106 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    I would hate for anyone to become upset or fed up with her because her English is not the best.

I agree, nilfun! My grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Greece and never did learn English, so as a child I learned Greek so I could communicate with my grandmother. My only point -- and I really don't want to sound like I'm bashing anyone -- is that if someone is going to work in the service industry of a country where they come in contact with the public every day, then it is necessary for them to speak the language of that country well enough to understand and be understood. When I went to Paris, I learned how to ask "do you speak English?" because I speak very little French. Some shopkeepers said "non" and turned their backs on me immediately. I did not take offense. I just went on and shopped where I could be understood. If I lived in Paris I would make learning French a high priority and until I was comfortable with the language I would not try to get a job where I would have to speak it all day, in a high-intensity environment.

Nina

• shamus
    shamus

True, Rodbar....

Rule # 1 when trying to impress someone... try to get their name right....

Yes, I would be worried about me, too!

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Hi Nina,

One thing I know for sure. The woman you were referring to may not speak English well now, but I can bet you if she is allowed to keep her job, in two months she will be speaking English very well. Especially if everyone she works with speak English around her. The reason I know this is. When I was nineteen, I have worked with a woman from Puerto Rico who came here speaking no English. She worked in the laundry room, I was housekeeping supervisor at the Merriott Hotel, in Raleigh. Two months later she spoke almost as much English as someone born here.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

But in the meantime how do I get my cheeseburger plain and my hamburger with mustard and ketchup only?

Nina

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Pray?

• minimus
    minimus

I want to say that it can be quite difficult living in a "divided household". At times, my wife knows the crock that the "truth" is yet still conducts a B.S. with someone who has started reading the internet about JW's and is asking questions that my wife knows is unanswerable from a pro-JW perspective. This weekend she's with her Witness friends visiting someone. She doesn't want to lose her friends. Yet, deep down inside I believe she knows it isn't the real truth.......Frustrating....

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Niflun: LOL loved the rant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit