When this is over...

by joey jojo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

What will the world be like once this pandemic is over?

The world has been through this before, in the form of the bubonic plague and it left changes to life still felt today, especially in regards to the economic system.

So many people dying meant a smaller working class that meant their skills and labour was suddenly more valuable which in turn raised wages.

I know this pandemic is different but I wonder how, if at all, the world will change?

There will probably be unexpected changes that we don't see yet. I'm wondering what they might be.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Wait even during the 1918 Spanish flu there was only about 3 billion people. We are starting form almost 8 billion. So not to diminish anyone's death but if a billion people died we would be fine going forward. The biggest issue will be getting the economic systems up and running. I don't see it taking long. Unless this evolves into something highly deadly my guess is inside a year this will be history

• rebel8
    rebel8

I wonder the same thing here. We're about to have a major economic crash that's only beginning. Small businesses and individuals in economically vulnerable roles will be hit hard. It may be years before the economy recovers. Or not...time will tell.

• ReinventedTwice
    ReinventedTwice

Many small businesses will not recover despite the aid packages. These small businessmen and women will go back into the regular job market to compete for jobs.

People on fixed incomes and those with stable employment like healthcare, government and education will not be hurt unless inflation wipes out their purchasing power.

There will likely be bargains in housing and vehicles for those who can still afford them.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This pandemic will not kill as many as in the past due to advanced medical treatments and enforced public social restrictions in place in most countries.

It will be eventually be contained and identified as such and governments will release those restrictions as confirmed cased eventually reside.

Countries economies will recover but slowly and there will be debt procured onto governments which is going to have to be repaid.

Dont expect total containment to happen soon, lets see where we are in a month from now .

Its not the end of the world folks , go for a walk every day and smile at people to let them know everything is going to be OK.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There will likely be bargains in housing and vehicles for those who can still afford them.

Good point RT

Once everything gets going again that would be good advantageous time to buy high priced items like cars or homes, there will be incentives by retailers galore. $$$

• hoser
    hoser

I think we will be doing more business locally. Globalization as we know it might be over. We might end up with different global trading partners. I think life will be simpler than it was as the good times might not come back.

• Simon
    Simon

We actually don't have any underlying economic issues, we've just all taken a break all at the same time. Yes, there is a hit to unemployment figures but those should mostly revert once the virus is controlled.

There will be some changes, but expect things to bounce back quickly because fundamentally things were going OK and there will be a lot of companies bringing manufacturing back so there will be economic expansion.

China? I think they'll be seeing some lost business. Hopefully a shit ton of lost business.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think in the long run the travel industry will take a huge hit and will take years if ever to recover.

Products such as Zoom have already make inroads into business travel, where many airlines and hotels make their profits. Companies will see that these products are not just conference call things but actually allow you to see all of the people in the room a mile away or on the other side of the earth, even transfer files.

Products like Go To Meeting have been around for many years but IMO not close to Zoom. You're looking at people and they are looking at you.

Once companies get used to this, it will reduce travel, especially international travel by who knows what percent. Why pay 5,000, 10,000 or more for one person on a long trip (airfare, hotel, local transportation, food, etc.) when they get used to setting up the meeting on-line and see everyone?

Just my thoughts.

Rub a Dub

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

the rich will get richer and the poor poorer! ................ Just my guess of course!

just saying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit