When this is over...

by joey jojo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I think some companies will realize that they don't need quite the same number of offices and making everyone go to one place everyday to work makes little sense. They'll also realize they can probably do without some people (who only existed to supposedly make the people in the office "work").

Most people are capable of working without constant supervision and micro-management and will in fact do it better when it's gone. Obviously, not all, but some, maybe more than people realize.

It's only when you stop doing something that you can see it for the waste of time it was. Commuting to work? You can do so much more with your time when you don't do that.

People might discover that looking after and teaching their own kids is actually rewarding, and it makes no sense to kill yourself working just to be able to afford to pay someone else to do it.

State schools and universities have to take a hit - their Ponzi scheme of faux-education / indoctrination doesn't make sense.

Some people will gain, others will lose, I don't expect everything to return to exactly as it was.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

I do think that a lot of industry will move back to the states. Trump should push a law that anything that is used in hospitals, pharma, and first responders is to be made in the USA only.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SIMON:

What I think will also change is the attitude towards guns at the next election. This crisis sent many people buying guns. They were afraid with a breakdown of society they would need them...After this, there’s no way some people would ever give up their guns. In fact, they would probably worry about the next crisis.

JIMMY YOUNG:

There is already talk of bringing back production of medical supplies, etc. to the USA.

• Simon
    Simon

The days of companies outsourcing production to China is over.

Apple et al need to have their products made in the USA or at least in an ally country with decent human and animal rights and environmental standards.

Anything critical, such as medicines and supplies, needs to be made in the US or only a very very close ally with similar standards.

Every country will need to have adequate supplies for the next outbreak. This will happen again until we cut China off from the civilized world OR they change. Their choice.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Closer to home, be prepared for at least some of the 'emergency' laws to permanently remain in one form or another and don't be surprised to see further draconian and restrictive laws being introduced during the rest of 2020.

Question: Why are Transport for London's buses & tube trains continuing to act as distribution centres for Covid 19? The media pictures are unbelievable. :(

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

I was thinking that the way people do business might change a little, some might get used to using conference chats and never go back to the old way of doing business.

Virtual gyms are now a thing. No need to get in your car and travel, just log in to zoom/ GoToMeeting etc and start your work out. The instructor can see you and give you feedback. Personally I think gyms provide good, positive energy over and above the actual work-out that Im not sure virtual gyms will replace the traditional gyms, although there still might be a place for online training once things go back to normal.

Economically, I think the worst is yet to come. The share market seems to be just hanging on but as things start to bite I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped again. (Just my two cents)

Will be an interesting few months ahead.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Reading everyone's comments this idea of more use of face time, zoom and virtual reality will isolate people even more. I can see the advantages of all this. Time spent in travelling which would cause less pollution. I agree with jojo that economically things will get worse before getting better. I feel the bouncing back of our economy will only be big and middle size business. The mom and pop/small businesses will be a thing of the past.

What I feel what will happen is the underground economy will become more prevalent. Farm stands, services, flea markets and trading item. This will be one of the main incomes for those with small incomes. Gardening will make a big come back as will as putting up food. My thoughts. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Still Totally ADD

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

I don’t think most persons really comprehend the magnitude of what is going on and the depth of this rabbit hole. No insult intended, but most here are economically illiterate.

I’ve been following the economy for decades, I listen to the smartest people I can find, and I will say that the Coronavirus, as sad and difficult as it is, is ‘the least of our worries’.

In the simplest of terms, the world has piled up a mountain of TNT, on a pile of nuclear waste, sitting on a geological fault, upwind.

And Coronavirus just lit the fuse.

What happens next might invoke a “God help us” from even the most staunch nonbeliever.

Over a month ago, (I work for a LARGE auto manufacturing plant), I announced that “they will close this plant!!!”. I got stares from 25 people at the morning meeting. I know they thought I was a nutter.

It was not the first time I made such an announcement. The last time I made such an announcement was at another plant for the same automaker just prior to 2008 and I told the plant manager to his face with 100% of senior management present and the union plant chairman by my side. They closed that plant... permanently.

Note, the plant chairman had no idea what I was going to say. Even he was aghast.

Well, they closed this plant, just as I said they would. I’ve been in contact with senior management in my dept. and I have reminded them that I was trying desperately to make them see, although they made light of it. The last contact I had, they say they are taking it seriously.

(No kidding, really. Good on you guys.)

Italy has made it to the eye of the storm. Now the wind will shift and they will have to endure the Economic consequences. People are running out of food and money. There is no fix for this. Don’t kid yourselves.

People will do what people will do to try to live, and as they do, it gets ugly.

The US will suffer immeasurably. The buck will tank.

Food prices will jump all at once. A store will take delivery of goods and the clerk will look at the paperwork and do a double take.

I know some of you here want to criticize my view, and feel free.

But at my workplace, they stopped.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

How bad will it be, economically? If you truly comprehend it, you might feel like throwing yourself under a train.

German state finance minister Thomas Schäfer found dead

https://amp.dw.com/en/german-state-finance-minister-thomas-sch%C3%A4fer-found-dead/a-52948976?__twitter_impression=true

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I see a modest death toll from the virus itself. More will die in panic and in fights due to shortages of supplies.

However, far worse is the communism that will ensue. How many people obeyed when they told everyone to not prepare for this, and then they obeyed again when they told everyone to start panicking. We had runs on hand sanitizer, toilet paper, Lysol, and basic food. Such as bread, vegetables, cereal, meat, grains, legumes--all obediently picked off on cue. I was "disobedient" because I started picking things off in late January through February, before there was even a shortage on anything.

Also, there are so many new buzzwords. "Social distancing"--that is totally meaningless. Staying 6 feet away from someone that is sick does no good if that person coughs of sneezes, touches something, and then you touch that same surface 10 minutes later. We even have curfews--what good does that do? The song "Afternoon Delight" describes how effective curfews are--why wait for the cold dark night when everything is clearer in daylight? Since when does coronavirus only spread between 10 PM and 7 AM? It can spread at 2 PM just as nicely.

And no, I don't believe that rubbish about "extra time to clean and restock". I work at a supermarket, and I know it does no good to have extra time to stock if the stuff doesn't come in. Sanitize, my eye. They do a lousy job sanitizing--about 80% of the surface could shelter a coronavirus or two the way they "clean(??)". Not to mention, if they reopen at 7 AM, all it takes is the first customer to come in, deposit coronavirus on a shopping cart handle (seems they never clean those during those "extra hours"), and the whole store can be infected in 15 minutes. And one doesn't have to be 60 or older to be at risk--someone that takes excellent care of their health and is in good condition can be at lower risk at 80 than someone that is 30, smokes 3 packs of cancer sticks a day, and doesn't even know what a vitamin pill is.

I think this is more brainwashing the public, and they are buying it. That, to me, is how they know they are ready for Noahide Law to be imposed in full. They simply state the sever Noahide Laws in the same way they are now stating the "rules" to "flatten the curve" (whatever that means--I would rather take my vitamins, get a little tiny coronavirus, and be done with it than keep 2 meters away from everyone, have everything sanitized (until the one time it isn't, and the slob I have to work with comes in contact with me or touches something I later have to touch), and then get a whopper.) And, in the case of the Noahide Laws, they state that "everyone is in imminent danger of going to hell unless we obey".

I am actually more afraid of Noahide Laws than of this virus. With enough of the vitamins I need, I should be able to fight off this virus (along with whatever others may come along on their own, and any bacterial infections). By disobeying and prepping through February instead of waiting until they give the cue, I avoided most of the product limits, shortages, and the fighting and panicking. But, will I be able to avoid Noahide Law? I don't think so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit