John 1:1 - A "Sacred Secret" Revealed

by AGuest 145 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Noko,

If Jehovah God only appears in Gen. 2, then we can dismiss AGuest's position that in Gen. 1:3,4 Jehovah created (Light) Jesus. So, then, we can attribute the creation of the heavens and the earth in that chapter to none other than Jesus.

"Is there really only one God?" you ask.

Yes, if you are a monotheist. On the other hand, if you are a henotheist, you worship one God but don't deny the existence of other gods. Perhaps, you are the latter.

Now what does St. Paul say? In 1 Cor. 8:4 : "...there is no God but one. For even though there are those who are called "gods," whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many "gods" and many "lords," there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him."

So, actually there are those on earth and in heaven who are called "gods," but we don't acknowledge them as God. The pagans worship idols, which they call "gods." And, yes, Moses, angels, and the judges are also called "gods." Jesus, too, is called God, but certainly not in the inferior sense of those "gods." Hebrews 1 shows that Jesus is higher than the angels, and chapter 2 that he is superior to Moses. Jesus is not depicted as the God the Father, but certainly as God the Son. He and the Father occupy the same throne in heaven. See Rev. 7:11 and 17 and Rev. 5:13

• noko
    noko

EXCELLENT!

When you belong to Christ there is only one God overall and that is indeed Jehovah just as Christ worships Jah so does his slaves. Now the "us" is the annointed with Christ. Now who does the angels worship?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Noko,

Correction. It is Heb. chapter 3 that shows Jesus is superior to Moses, not chapter 2.

Heb. 1:6 says the angels worship Jesus. That's what they are doing in heaven right now according to Rev. 5:6, 11-14. They are worshipping both the Father and the Son. See especially verse 13. See also John 17:5 But if Jesus is not God, why are they worshipping him? Doesn't worship belong only to God? See also 1 Peter 3:22 And if Jesus were the archangel Michael as JWs insist, then why does Col. 2:18 condemn angel worship? See also Rev. 22:8, 16.

For the relationship that the Father and the Son have see Rev. 21:22. In 1 Cor. 1:24 Jesus is called the wisdom and power of God. Was there ever a time that the Father was without wisdom and power (JESUS)? See also John 5:17, 18, 23; John 8:16, 19;

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Kenneson,

You have been doing a very good job of posting true Scriptural points and Scriptural reasonings. I enjoy your posts, and I thank you for posting them.

Noko, I will reply to your comments here:

Noko said:

Now which God is referred to in chapter 1 of Genesis?

LORD GOD or Jehovah God isn't mentioned until chapter 2, interesting isn't it?

I don't know exactly what you're saying.

Let's take a look at Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 2:4:

Genesis 1:1: In the beginning God created the Heavens and the earth.

Genesis 2:4: These are the generations of the Heavens and of the earth when they were created in the day that Jehovah God made the earth and the Heavens.

It is extremely clear that it is the same God in Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 2:4.

Think about this, if Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 2:4 are talking two different Gods, then are they also talking about two different Heavens and two different earths?

Also, here are some Verses which show that Jesus was the Creator in the beginning:

John 1:1-3: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came to be through Him, and without Him nothing came to be which has come to be.

Hebrews 1:8-10: But to the Son He [The Father] says: "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your Kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your companions." And: "You [The Son], LORD [Jehovah], in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, and the Heavens are the work of Your hands.

Noko said:

Is there really only one God? Is not God a name for a title or description about a personality or person? As in President? Which in this world there are many different presidents and the only way you really know which one I am talking about is when I specify one as in President Bush. Mosses was God to Pharaoh, hey don't argue with me, the Bible states it. Jesus as stated will become a Mighty God as well (future tense). "God is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; In the middle of the gods he judeges." Ps 82:1. Did not Jesus say "Is it not written in your Law, 'I said: "YOU are gods"?

Is Jesus God, yep. Is jehavoh God, yep. Are they the same person, nope. Jehovah is the God of Jesus, Jehovah has no God above him.

Kenneson answered those questions very well already.

Noko said:

When you belong to Christ there is only one God overall and that is indeed Jehovah just as Christ worships Jah so does his slaves. Now the "us" is the annointed with Christ. Now who does the angels worship?

Indeed, there is Only One God for Christians, and that is Jehovah (Yahweh), and Jehovah is Three Persons: The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. Not One Person, Not Three Gods, but THREE Persons as ONE God.

Here is a very simple test to find out if your religion or your religious teachers are teaching Biblical Truth:

Does your religion honor The Son [Jesus Christ] the same as they honor The Father?

John 5:21-23: For as the Father raises up the dead and gives life, thus also the Son gives life to whom He wills. For the Father judges no one, but He has given all judgment to the Son, so that all may honor the Son even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

Does your religion teach that you are saved ONLY by the undeserved kindness [grace] of Jesus Christ through faith in Him and His Sacrifice and Resurrection, and NOT by any amount of good works?

Ephesians 2:8-9: For by grace [undeserved kindness] you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Acts 16:30-31: and he brought them forth outside and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, you and your household."

Romans 10:9: that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and you believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

Does your religion teach that the two greatest Commandments are "Love God with your whole soul, mind, and heart"; and "love your neighbor as yourself"?

Matthew 22:36-40: "Teacher, which is the great Commandment in the Law?" Jesus said to him, " 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great Commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

Does your religion teach that you should love your enemies, and love those who hate you?

Matthew 5:44-48: But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, so that you may prove to be sons of your Father in Heaven; because He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and He sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your friends only, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? You therefore be perfect, just as your Father in Heaven is perfect.

Does your religion teach that you should do to others what you want them to do to you?

Matthew 7:12: Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, thus also you do to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Does your religion teach that you should obey the Government of your country (unless it directly commands you to break a Commandment of God)?

Romans 13:1-8: Let every soul submit to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God, and the authorities that exist are instituted by God. Consequently the one resisting the authority has opposed the ordinance of God, and those opposing shall receive judgment to themselves. For rulers are not a fear to good works, but to evil. And do you wish not to fear the authority? Do what is good, and you shall have praise from the same. For he is God's servant to you for good. But if you do evil, fear; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's servant, an avenger for wrath to the one practicing evil. Therefore it is necessary to be subject, not only on account of wrath, but also for conscience' sake. For on account of this you also pay taxes, for they are ministers of God, always giving attention to this very thing. Render therefore to all their dues: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor. Owe nothing to no one, except to love one another, for he who loves one another has fulfilled the Law.

Does your religion pass the Bible's test?

• SatanSpawn
    SatanSpawn

Yakkity yakkity me me me blah blah lookame, blabbity blabbity I'm soooooo ultrakool God thinks I'm better than you, yakkity blabba blabba no, wait, he doesn't after all, I just make it up, but doesn't it look kewl!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Noko wrote: "Oh, who created the computer you are using to type this stuff up or to read it anyways?"

Well, since I have a computer and you have one and thousands of others have them as well, I don't rightly know which particular men have made them. However, if you are comparing Jesus to a computer that is a poor analogy. Christ displayed His might in the very act of creation, and He did so in a way that distinguished Him from mere men. Man has the ability to make things (like computers), but he requires some basic raw materials. Christ, however, showed His might in the ability to create--to make something out of nothing! No man or creature can do that. It takes Divine might to create. See John 1:3 and Col. 1:16 Jesus is more than just a mere man.

Now, if you can accept the eternality of God the Father, why can't you accept it of God the Son? Scripture surely teaches it. John the Baptist recognized the eternality of Jesus although he was born before Jesus. See Luke 1:36, 57 and John 1:39. Jesus Himself claims to have existed before Abraham. John 8:58 His character is described as eternally consistent and unchanging. See Heb. 1:38. His New Testament title Alpha and Omega (compare Rev. 1:8 with Rev. 22: 12-13, 16) uses the first (alpha) and last (omega) letter of the Greek alphabet to symbolize that Christ is before everything and will transcend everything. Jesus existed eternally, even before the foundation of the world. See John 17:24; 1 Peter 1:20.

Not only does Scripture show that Jesus was God (Creator) before His birth, it also shows He was God during His earthly life. He possessed power over nature(Lk. 5:1-11), power over disease (Mt. 9:18-26), power over demons (Lk. 8:26-39), power over sin (Mark 2:3-12), and power over death (1 Cor. 15:1-19). Throughout the course of His public life, Christ revealed His Divine might in ways that backed up His claim of Deity (Jn. 20:30-31)

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Noko,

Typo. John acknowledges the pre-existence of Jesus in John 1:30, not 1:39. Sorry.

• noko
    noko

To answer my question directly "Now which God is referred to in chapter 1 of Genesis?"

The answer is both, God the Father and God the Son.

Now what does this mean "God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." ?

Two separate individuals but joined together in one flesh, separate personalities but yet united. There is only two by the way in this relationship.

Who created a computer? Man did is my answer on his own free will. Who created the materials, principles and rules so that this could happen? I think you know the answer to that.

• gumby
    gumby

Does your religion honor The Son [Jesus Christ] the same as they honor The Father?

John 5:21-23: For as the Father raises up the dead and gives life, thus also the Son gives life to whom He wills. For the Father judges no one, but He has given all judgment to the Son, so that all may honor the Son even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

UD

You are equating the honor of god and Jesus with the same weight by stretching the scripture. You mentioned the word SAME when the scripture used the word AS.The point is they are both to be honored just as both of our fleshly parents are to be honored.

As for Hebrews chap 1. Does not the word for worship also mean obeisance? Can others besides god recieve obeisance without recieving worship as others in the bible recieved such as kings?

I am NOT here to argue the trinity..........just had some questions in this area when I was a believer that have really never been answered.

Gumby

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Hello Gumby,

Thanks for your comments. I enjoy discussing the Bible with everyone, and I don't ever try to argue with anyone, although sometimes there is discussion that gets close to arguing.

You said:

You are equating the honor of god and Jesus with the same weight by stretching the scripture. You mentioned the word SAME when the scripture used the word AS.The point is they are both to be honored just as both of our fleshly parents are to be honored.

Well, Gumby, let's take a look at the Greek word for "even as":

The Greek word for "even as" that was used in John 5:23 is "kathos".

Thayer's Greek Bible Dictionary Definition of "kathos" (By the way, as a side-note, Thayer did not believe in the Trinity):

1) according as
    1a) just as, even as
    1b) in proportion as, in the degree that
    2) since, seeing that, agreeably to the fact that
    3) when, after that

Strong's Bible Dictionary Definition of "kathos":

just (or inasmuch) as, that: - according to, (according, even) as, how, when.

That is why the following Translations read like this:

Analytical-Literal Translation: so that all shall be honoring the Son just as they honor the Father. The one not honoring the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

Contemporary English Version: The Father wants all people to honor the Son as much as they honor him. When anyone refuses to honor the Son, that is the same as refusing to honor the Father who sent him.

Good News Translation: so that all will honor the Son in the same way as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

"The Message" Translation: so that the Son will be honored equally with the Father. Anyone who dishonors the Son, dishonors the Father, for it was the Father's decision to put the Son in the place of honor.

New Century Version: so that all people will honor the Son as much as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

1898 Young's Literal Translation: that all may honour the Son according as they honour the Father; he who is not honouring the Son, doth not honour the Father who sent him.

New International Version: that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.

Amplified Bible: So that all men may give honor (reverence, homage) to the Son just as they give honor to the Father. [In fact] whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, Who has sent Him.

New Living Translation: so that everyone will honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. But if you refuse to honor the Son, then you are certainly not honoring the Father who sent him.

English Standard Version: that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

New King James Version: that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

Worldwide English New Testament: He did this so that all people would respect the Son, just as they respect his Father. My Father has sent his Son. Anyone who does not respect his Son does not respect the Father.

New Revised Standard Version: so that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

Holman Christian Standard Bible: so that all people will honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

Also, we should look at how the Greek word "kathos" ("even as") is used in the New Testament, in order to find out the meaning of John 5:23:

Mark 11:3-6: And if anyone says to you, 'Why are you doing this?' say, 'The Lord has need of him,' and immediately he will send it here." And they departed, and found the colt tied up by the door outside in the street, and they untied him. But some of those standing there said to them, "What are you doing, loosing the colt?" And they told them just as ["kathos"] Jesus had commanded. And they gave them permission.

In Mark 11:3-6, "kathos" meant "the same as".

Luke 1:1-2: Since many have attempted to arrange a narrative about the matters which have taken place among us, just as ["kathos"] those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the Word delivered them to us,

In Luke 1:1-2, "kathos" meant "in the same way as".

Luke 19:30-32: saying, "Go into the village opposite you, in which when you enter you will find a colt tied up, on which no one of men has ever sat. Loose him and bring him here. And if anyone asks you, 'Why are you loosing him?' thus you shall say to him, 'Because the Lord has need of him.' " So those who were sent departed and found it just as ["kathos"] He told them.

In Luke 19:30-32, "kathos" meant "the same as".

John 12:50: And I know that His Command is eternal life. Therefore, whatever I speak, as ["kathos"] the Father has said to Me, thus I speak."

Jesus was saying that He spoke the same things His Father commanded Him to speak, so "kathos" in John 12:50 meant, "the same as".

John 15:10: If you keep My Commandments, you will abide in My love, just as ["kathos"] I have kept My Father's Commandments and I abide in His love.

In John 15:10, Jesus was using "kathos" to mean "in the same way as".

John 17:14: I have given them Your Word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as ["kathos"] I am not of the world.

In John 17:14. "kathos" meant "just like" or "in the same way as".

1 Corinthians 11:1: Be imitators of me [Paul], just as ["kathos"] I also am of Christ.

Paul was saying that Christians should imitate him the same as they Paul imitates Christ.

Ephesians 5:25: Husbands, love your own wives, just as ["kathos"] Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself for her,

Ephesians 5:25 says that husbands should love their wives the same as Jesus loves the Church [all Born-Again Christians].

1 John 2:6: He who claims to abide in Him [Jesus] ought himself also to walk just as ["kathos"] He walked.

In 1 John 2:6, "kathos" meant "the same as".

Romans 11:8: Just as ["kathos"] it is written: "God has given them a spirit of stupor, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear, to this very day."

In Romans 11:8 "kathos" meant "the same as".

1 Corinthians 1:31: that, as ["kathos"] it is written, "He that boasts, let him boast in the Lord."

In 1 Corinthians 1:31, "kathos" meant "the same as".

So, I believe "kathos" in John 5:23 means that everyone should honor The Son "the same as" or "just like" they honor The Father.

This is supported very strongly by Revelation Chapter 5, in which The Son receives exactly the same honor, glory, praise, and worship that The Father receives:

Revelation 5:11-14: Then I looked, and I heard as it were the voice of many angels around the throne, and the living beings, and the elders. And the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and a thousand thousands, saying with a loud voice: "Worthy is the Lamb [Jesus] who was slain to receive the power and the wealth and wisdom and strength, and honor and glory and blessing!" And every creature which is in Heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: "Blessing and honor and glory and power to Him [The Father] who sits upon the throne, and to the Lamb [Jesus], forever and ever. Amen!" -and the four living beings said "Amen!" And the elders fell down and worshipped.

Gumby said:

As for Hebrews chap 1. Does not the word for worship also mean obeisance? Can others besides god recieve obeisance without recieving worship as others in the bible recieved such as kings?

Very good question, Gumby.

The Greek word used for "worship" in Hebrews 1:6 is "proskuneo".

Thayer's Greek Bible Dictionary Definition of "proskuneo":

1) to kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence
    2) among the Orientals, especially the Persians, to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound reverence
    3) in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication
    3a) used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank
    3a1) to the Jewish high priests
    3a2) to God
    3a3) to Christ
    3a4) to heavenly beings
    3a5) to demons

Strong's Bible Dictionary Definition of "proskuneo":

to fawn or crouch to, that is, (literally or figuratively) prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence to, adore): - worship.

Yes, it is true that the Greek word "proskuneo" is also used to describe people bowing down, giving obeisance, and showing honor to kings, and it is also used to describe religious worship to God (which only God should receive).

Most of the time, the context of the Scriptures helps to show which type of "proskuneo" is being given, whether it is "obeisance" or "religious worship".

For example, notice the following Scriptures:

Matthew 4:9-10: And he [Satan] said to Him [Jesus], "All these things will I give You, if You will fall down and worship ["proskuneo"] me." Then Jesus said to him, "Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship ["proskuneo"] the Lord your God, and Him alone you shall serve.' "

Those Verses are talking about religious worship, because Jesus said only God should receive that type of "proskuneo".

Matthew 18:25-27: But since he had nothing with which to repay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and everything that he had, and to be repaid. Therefore falling down ["proskuneo"] before him, the servant said, 'Master, have patience with me, and I will repay everything to you.' "And having compassion, the master of that servant released him, and forgave him the loan.

The context shows that in those Verses, it appears that it is not religious worship being given to the master, it is only honor. Or, if it was religious worship, both the slave and the master were committing idolatry.

Matthew 14:31-33: And immediately, Jesus reaching out His hand, laid hold of him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" And when they had gotten into the boat, the wind ceased. Then those who were in the boat came and worshipped ["proskuneo"] Him, saying, "Truly You are the Son of God."

That appears to be religious worship given to Jesus, because of the context. Notice, Jesus was walking on water, and made the wind cease, and then the people on the boat proclaimed "Truly You are the Son of God" and they gave Him "proskuneo".

Acts 10:25-26: Now when it happened that Peter entered, Cornelius met him, and fell at his feet and worshipped ["proskuneo"] him. But Peter raised him up, saying, "Stand up; I myself am also a man."

The context shows that it must have been religious worship that Cornelius gave to Peter, otherwise, I don't think Peter would have said "stand up, I am only a human".

Revelation 3:9: Behold, I will give those of the synagogue of Satan, those who say they are Jews and are not, but they are lying--behold, I will compel them to come and worship ["proskuneo"] before your feet, and they shall know that I have loved you.

Now, there are two ways of looking at that Verse:

(1): God will compel them to bow down and give honor to the holy ones, OR
    (2): God will compel them to come before the holy ones and give religious worship to God.

But, I definitely do not believe God would make people give religious worship to other humans, which would break God's own Law on idolatry.

Now, let's discuss Hebrews 1:6, which reads:

Hebrews 1:6: But when He [The Father] again brings the Firstborn [Jesus] into the world, He says: "Let all the angels of God worship Him."

Hebrews 1:6 is quoting the Septuagint Version of Deuteronomy 32:43, which reads:

Deuteronomy 32:43 (Greek Septuagint): Rejoice, you Heavens, with Him, and let all the angels of God worship Him; rejoice you Gentiles, with His people, and let all the sons of God strengthen themselves in Him; for He will avenge the blood of His sons, and He will render vengeance, and recompense justice to His enemies, and will reward them that hate Him; and the Lord shall purge the land of His people.

So, since Deuteronomy is talking about religious worship being given to God, I am pretty sure that Hebrews 1:6 means that religious worship should be given to Jesus.

Also, notice the context of Hebrews Chapter 1, and see what else it says about Jesus:

Hebrews 1:1-5: God, who in various ways and in many ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by the Son, whom He has appointed Heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the Effulgence of His glory and the Exact Expression of His Substance, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty On High, having become so much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent Name than they. For to which of the angels did He ever say: "You are My Son, today I have begotten You"? And again: "I will be to Him for a Father, and He shall be to Me for a Son"?

Notice, it says that The Father created all things through Jesus, and Jesus is the Exact Expression of The Father's Substance, and that Jesus is better than all the angels, and that The Father never said to any angel that He would be His Father and that the angel would be His son, which proves that Jesus is not a created angel.

Hebrews 1:8-13: But to the Son He [The Father] says: "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your Kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your companions." And: "You, LORD [Yahweh], in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, and the Heavens are the work of Your hands. They shall perish, but You continue; and they all shall grow old like a garment; and like a cloak You will roll them up, and they shall be changed. But You are the same, and Your years will not fail." But to which of the angels has He ever said: "Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet"?

The Father calls Jesus God, and The Father calls Jesus Yahweh, and The Father says that Jesus created all things in the beginning.

So, I believe, according to the context of Hebrews Chapter 1, that in Hebrews 1:6, The Father is commanding all angels to give religious worship to Jesus Christ, because Jesus is Yahweh God the Creator.

I hope this information helps, and if you have any questions or comments or different ideas or opinions, please post them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit