How can Babylon the Great be the WORLD of false religion?

by BoogerMan 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

(Revelation 17:5) “Babylon the Great, the mother of the prostitutes (plural!) and of the disgusting things of the earth.”

BTG is spotlighted as being the principal "disgusting thing" which affects Christians & Christianity, with other lesser "prostitutes" in the background..

(Revelation 18:4) “Get out of her, my people, (Christians) if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues."

The verse isn't saying, "Become a true Christian by joining a different denomination," it's a command for existing & practicing Christians to leave their accepted, controlling, and powerful organizational system of worship.

• Elena
    Elena

It all boils down to the fact that this is a man made religion making things up as they go along. Even if some thinks there is a chance they are correct in their interpretations you would still be wise to hold off until the great tribulation starts. By their own admission you could still be saved if you waited until then. But we all know that is not going to happen.

They can’t have too much new light at once as it would overwhelm the Jdubs. New light that admits they were wrong about 1914 and Babylon the great would be too much and most will ask why has Jehovah’s channel got so much wrong over the years?
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘Babylon the Great’ was Rome. The Roman Empire oversaw various subordinate client kingdoms, each with its own ‘king’. Revelation 17:18 accurately describes “Babylon the Great”—that is, ancient Rome—as a city with a kingdom over other kings.

No superstitious nonsense. No mystery.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

LOL - just discovered the latest Washtowel:

Study Watchtower, April 2024 par. 4, p. 21 - "A second fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy began in 1919 C.E. when Jehovah’s modern-day worshippers were set free from captivity to Babylon the Great."

Don't you just marvel at these self-fulfilling prophecies???????????

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Study Watchtower, April 2024 par. 4, p. 21 - "A second fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy began in 1919 C.E. when Jehovah’s modern-day worshippers were set free from captivity to Babylon the Great."

Ridiculous historical revisionism. The ‘Bible Students’ didn’t regard 1919 as any special ‘release’ from ‘Babylon the Great’ at all, and they held many beliefs at the time (some of which weren’t changed until decades after) that JWs now regard as ‘false religion’.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

If one accepts the Babylon the Great is false religion, the scripture says get out of her "my people"...thus showing his people would be scattered throughout these various false religions ( which includes JW ) and they are to get out of them ...and do what? might come to mind....Jeus told the Samaritan woman it wasn't a place ( not in Jerusalem or that mountain ) but the Father wanted to be worshipped in spirit and it truth. ( whiich you won't have in these false man made religious organizations. One has to be careful not to get out of a false religion just to go back into another( which is what many do) I have been invited by 3 different people to go to their churches (3 different ) but these established churches would be teaching what I am sure is false, so why bother?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

The world Empire of false religion....

(Pretty odd that the old time Catholics called their church's organization 'The Holy Roman Empire,' then??)

As OP says if this empire is just made up of different denominations, why isn't Watchtower just another one to add to the list? Apart from the odd silly term for things, what makes it different if they're not inspired, get things wrong and prioritize money over members?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

A person can, and many have, spend a career trying to decode the work as it is today. In my view that is in a large way because the work is a composition of multiple authors. The final redactor no doubt had contemporary Roman events in mind, but the underlying texts were thoroughly Jewish and likely predate 70CE. I don't just mean the near universal intertextuality of the symbols and idioms, (Ezekiel, Daniel, Exodus etc) but that large sections were complete original works by a Jewish scribe who, like many of his day, saw the Temple and its priests as corrupt. This work/s was adapted by a Christian (likely in Rome), with similar apocalyptic expectations, living a few decades later.

Oddly, Jesus is easily removed from nearly the entire work without altering the flow or straining the meaning beyond what was current in the pre-Christian era. Some time ago we discussed this, and someone asked if we could recover the Jewish Vorlage within the composition. I personally think the task is impossible given the overlap in terminology, but a sample example might demonstrate how the obvious Christian elements often appear redactional and secondary. This is true of even sections that are generally regarded as original to the Christian author. The additional redactional quality of it jumps out. :

Rev 1:1 The revelation [of Jesus Christ,] which God gave [him] to show his servants what must soon take place; he made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,

2 who testified to the word of God [and to the testimony of Jesus Christ,] even to all that he saw.

3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of the prophecy, and blessed are those who hear and who keep what is written in it; for the time is near.

4 John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne,

[5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his blood,

6 and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.]

Rev 1:9 I, John, your brother who share with you [in Jesus] the persecution and the kingdom and the patient endurance, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God [and the testimony of Jesus.]

NRS Rev 11:8 and their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that is prophetically called Sodom and Egypt, [where also their Lord was crucified.]

Rev 12:17 Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her children, those who keep the commandments of God [and hold the testimony of Jesus.]

Rev 14:12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God [and hold fast to the faith of Jesus.]

Rev 17:6 And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the saints [and the blood of the witnesses to Jesus.] When I saw her, I was greatly amazed.

Rev 19:10 Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your comrades [who hold the testimony of Jesus.]Worship God! [For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.“]

Rev 20:4 Then I saw thrones, and those seated on them were given authority to judge. I also saw the souls of those who had been beheaded [for their testimony to Jesus and] for the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned [with Christ] a thousand years.

Rev 22:16 [“It is I, Jesus, who sent my angel to you with this testimony for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”]

Rev 22:20 The one who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. [Come, Lord Jesus]

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Babylon the Great is the world empire of false religion.

That's because the Borg says it is right now. Thats apt to change. The GB makes it up as they go along. If you don't like it out the door you go.

But just wait 6 months. The interpretation of the Babylon could change. Remember they(GB) "are not inspired and can err when it comes to doctrinal matters''.

And no ''apology'' is necessary for not getting it right. Meanwhile affecting many lives adversely. ''No apology."

• blondie
    blondie

There was a time up until the 1950's when the WTS said they were not a religion at all. Then in the 1950's they changed that to "false religion" and "true religion" saying that the WTS was the only true religion. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1951607

"Why has the Watchtower Society suddenly approved the use of the word “religion” relative to the worship of Jehovah’s witnesses?—P. L., New York.

We are not trying to make a new language, but we want to use the language we have to the honor of God’s name, and do so with as little confusion as possible in Kingdom preaching. In the English language the word “religion” means the service or adoration of God or a god, as expressed through certain forms of worship. So the religion may be either true or false, depending upon both the god being worshiped and the form or manner of expressing the worship. If we practice the true form of worship of the true God Jehovah, and if we are speaking the English language, then when discussing our worship we may properly use the English words that will so limit our meaning, namely, “true religion.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit