How can Babylon the Great be the WORLD of false religion?

by BoogerMan 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LeeMerk
    LeeMerk
    Believe me the scholarship you are talking about brings plenty of bias. But of course I'm sure if you don't agree with it then it must not be proper.
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro

🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

• LeeMerk
    LeeMerk

🙂🙃

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Feel free to present some verifiable facts at some point.

• LeeMerk
    LeeMerk

Lol, you're funny

• PioneerSchmioneer
    PioneerSchmioneer

"Argument from authority" or claiming your view is "based on sound scholarship" is not "sound scholarship."

I used to tell my religion students this all the time, and it was the hardest habit to break for them--most never learned to do this.

It is your methodology that proves your argument, not the scholars you cite or copy in your arguments. That is why you have to study well. If you can't or don't study how to research a subject according to sound and approved academic methods and principles, your conclusions cannot be tested by another indepent source and verified. You have to do the work yourself.

Only when your view is independently verified by testing--not by whether you cited or copied the view of another scholar or academic (anyone can do that--even the Watchtower does it)--do we know you did your homework.

Otherwise you are just a copycat.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

My views on the subject are consistent with scholarship, but not dependent on those sources.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I don't know if you Jethro or LeeMerky is funnier, but both of you seem to be suffering from the, "My. dad is tougher than your dad" fallacy

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Since I haven’t relied on some other authority, no, that doesn’t apply. Well, not to me anyway. You may be right about LeeMerk though. Or whoever Jethro is.
  • PioneerSchmioneer
    PioneerSchmioneer

It doesn't matter if your views are consistent with scholarship. Your views have to stand on their own, as if no academics had ever existed.

In other words, your methodology has to stand the test without being able to be consistent with scholarship--because it is your methodology that counts, not if what you say matches anyone else's.

Critical analysis is a method that follows rules, and just like in sports or any other game, you are tested on how well you follow those rules, not if your views are consistent with another's.

That is the way academia plays the game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit