How can Babylon the Great be the WORLD of false religion?

by BoogerMan 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

During the "Free Home Bible Study" phase of my Indoctrination into the JWs, I recall being assured that "all the world's false religions" could in fact be traced to the ancient city of Babylon.

There was indeed a school of thought called "Pan-Babylonialism", which had a certain following around the turn of the 20th Century. However, that idea has long since been discarded - almost to the point of being considered pseudoscience. There is also Alexander Hislop's The Two Babylons, which advances similar ideas, but which was soundly debunked even during Hislop's own lifetime (circa. the mid-19th Century). Just the same, the JWs used to treat that work of Alexander Hislop as having almost the final say on the matter!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Recently, the Pope went on a Muslim country visit and said, "I am coming as a pilgrim of peace and fraternity," Francis wrote Friday on Twitter. "We Christians and Muslims believe in God, the Creator and the Merciful, who created people to live like brothers and sisters, respecting each other in their diversity, and helping one another in their needs."

And just the other day, Pope Francis says A Catholic priest can bless a gay or other unmarried couple as long as it is not a formal liturgical blessing . How long before polygamy will be blessed?

My bet is on Rome as Babylon the Great (Mystery Babylon)

VII-Congress-of-Leaders-of-World-and-Traditional-Religions-AFP

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sea Breeze;

My bet is on Rome as Babylon the Great

Revelation indeed was referring to Rome, But it has nothing to do with Rome (or the Vatican) now. Revelation was referring to empirical Rome at the time of writing and a hypothetical near-future at the time.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Rivergang:

However, that idea has long since been discarded - almost to the point of being considered pseudoscience.

Correct, apart from the ‘almost’.

The Tower of Babel
    is simply a borrowed myth.

• Sea Breeze
  • Rivergang
    Rivergang

That Pan-Babylonialism is 24 Carat pseudoscience comes as no surprise!

Also during the same “Free Home Bible Study” phase, I remember being assured that all the world’s major languages originated in the ancient city of Babylon. To put matters very diplomatically, this is simply not the case!

Little about the religion of Babylon was exactly original, either. Most of it had been inherited from the earlier Sumerian civilisation.

Hardly the birthplace of either the world’s languages or its religions!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sea Breeze:

(Preterism is false teaching)

Preterism is indeed false, because it (at least in its most common form) interprets parts of Daniel as being in the first century, rather than no later than 2nd century BCE.

Early Christian expectations of Jesus returning within a generation of his death were never fulfilled rather than ‘everything happening in 70AD’.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Partial Preterism makes the most sense to me. Matthew 24:1-35 applies to Christ's coming in judgment on Jerusalem, verses 36 - end apply to His coming in world judgment.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Babylon the Great is clearly Las Vegas!

Everyone knows that! It is a mystery because everything that happens there stays there. John said to get out of her because eventually you will lose all your money and your morals.

I hope this was helpful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit