Assembly Dramas:They were so bad.... but.... you waited for them to break away from the monotony!

by RULES & REGULATIONS 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

'

''I told you for the last time,stop stealing the drapes and tablecloths from my house for your dramas!..I can tell they are mine because only overstock.com carries them.Have you looked in the mirror and see what a bunch of clowns you all look like.None of you even match!Why are doing this to me?''

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sitting outdoors from 9:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.[for 4 days]

Us old-timers remember sitting until 9:00pm for 5, 6, 7, or 8 days!!

WTH did they say for that many hours over that many days?? Days of life flushed down the sh!tter that I can never recapture! . . . . Doc

• fokyc
    fokyc

1963 was an 8 day assembly, at Twickenham Rugby Ground.

Living in a tent by Staines reservoirs.

I must have been so stupid!

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Even when I still thought it was God's organization I would inwardly roll my eyes at the disproportionate praise that was lavished on these movies and dramas. It made me think of the way a parent may praise their child's macaroni art as nothing short of a masterpiece.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I remember the assemblies at the Cicero race tracks. They were at Hawthorne and a couple across the way at Sportsmen's race track. Everybody had a mad dash to get seats in the air conditioned "Gold Cup room." Attendants, Elders and MS would get in early and save seats for their entourage before the doors were opened. "Looking out for the interest of others before themselves." Right. It was interesting to watch the horses work out before the assembly. The smell of manure and the hot sun beating down on you was expected if you were resigned to sitting in the outdoor sections. Later, it was moved to Comiskey (US Cellular Field) where everyone was outside. We endured the heat with the plethora of umbrellas clamped to arm rests and downpours of rain that ran down the steps and soaked everything that was stowed under your seats. Miserable. It rained almost all day. One assembly day, we were so soaked that we went to the car in the parking lot to dry off and listen to the assembly on the radio. With the heat on, we all fell asleep in no time and left at lunch time....and we felt so guilty. After the ballpark, we had to truck it out to Rockford at what is now known as the BMO Harris Center. After several years, it was moved to NIU Convocation Center. Now, I am told that it is at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates. Never been there since it was after I faded. We would have driven anywhere that they told us to go. Definitely, the dramas were our lifeline for breaking up the monotony. It was the only time that almost everyone was in their seat or even paying attention.

• blondie
    blondie

Rules, that is right. But just once and then we were switched back up north. Many did not go afraid of the black neighborhood. But at least there was indoor seating for the rainy days. No sitting out in the sun either and there were elevators for my relative in the wheelchair (I was attendant for her). But the food did not compare with Wisconsin.

My first convention was in NYC 1955.

I can only remember seeing a sea of trousered legs and women's skirts and petticoats, hanging onto mother's hand. The odor of people was overpowering.

• Tallon
    Tallon

I took part in two drama's; In a biblical, and a modern day, setting.

It was a good few years back - during the early to mid 90's. I can't remember the actual drama's however, in the biblical one I was the faithful soldier, and in the modern day one, a pioneer ... lol.

I must say that I actually enjoyed it.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    exjwlemming2 hours agoI remember the assemblies at the Cicero race tracks. They were at Hawthorne and a couple across the way at Sportsmen's race track. Everybody had a mad dash to get seats in the air conditioned "Gold Cup room." Attendants, Elders and MS would get in early and save seats for their entourage before the doors were opened. "Looking out for the interest of others before themselves." Right.

My family and all my aunts,uncles,nieces and nephews lived 20 minutes away from Hawthorne and Sportsman Park.We were reminded not to save seats at all the meetings and not place books or magazines on the seats.

We left one hour early every day.By the time you walked from the parking lot to the stadium,all the indoor and air-conditioned areas were all taken.Everyone who had connections would already have indoor seating.( WHAT FRICKIN TIME DID THEY GET THERE ) Most seats were saved even after they were told not to save them.We had no choice but to sit outside with no shade.The smell of horse manure coming from the horse barns was unbearable.

To make matters worse,you would see the main speakers coming from the air-conditioned sections. The Overseers and Bethel speakers would walk to the podium with an usher holding an umbrella over their head so they had shade over their heads while we suffered brain damage and heat stroke.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

kpop, you sound so funny, having to fake tuberculosis to avoid the assembly, LOL!

Back pain is a good one for faking, as nobody can tell whether you're faking that.

Hope you get out of going this year.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

R&R, I not only was at Cicero, Il at Hawthorne Horse Track, I was in one of those dramas with a fake beard on my face. It was a 3-day convention, though. I also remember watching the horses working out and watching the momma duck marching ducklings each day- everyone watched these distractions.

I remember losing the race track and switching to the Chicago White Sox Stadium for a few years. We went through too hot, too cold, too rainy, too sunny, upper seats too steep. That was about the worst place. I think we were there 3 or 4 years. It sure made me miss the horse race track.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit