What do you think?

by Tahoe 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hoser
    hoser

The congregation I formerly attended now holds the territory of 3 former congregations. So 4 congregations is now one aging congregation of 50 publishers. I’m not too sure how many attend but I know their preaching territory is over 15,000 square miles. There used to be well over 300 publishers in these congregations.

There is a congregation about 100 miles from that congregation that is on life support from SKE grads that I expect to be closed soon.

The congregation that I am currently marginally associated with amalgamated with another a few months ago. Two former congregations of over 100 publishers each and now the typical Sunday meeting attendance is 40 in person and 30 on zoom.

Today a 70 year old long time elder ran the mike for the entire watchtower study as there are few qualified brothers to do it.

Yes, COVID broke the spell

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Holy shitballs. 😳

• hoser
    hoser

Vidiot:

I made a mistake. It’s actually 5 congregations turned into one! One of the last closings actually amalgamated with a nearby congregation 15 years ago.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

So, how many are left in that town, now?

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

GrreatTeacher, I agree that there is probably nothing coming from HQ to encourage the lessening of shunning; the ranting CO pretty well confirms that. Any change in position would be well documented, accompanied by the obligatory "We've always done it this way" article. You would think that they would consider nerfing the shunning a bit, considering the Norwegian situation and the fact that the Japanese Diet seems to be taking an interest, but WT's default reaction is to double down. The trouble with telling yourself and everyone around you that you are always right is that everyone starts believing it. In life, even the things that you could originally claim to be right about can change, so that you become wrong. If you believe that you are always right, you won't make the necessary changes. Hence the CO tantrum.

The slaves are just tired.The Covid crisis gave them a chance to rest, and they seem to have liked the idea. The CO was using the stick; the WT needs more carrots 🥕. Covid killed the few carrots they had: the JW social life. Resting from the daily grind of Watchtowerism seems to be a very tasty carrot.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I think that it must have crossed the minds of the Governing Body, to closed down the use of Zoom for congregational meetings, now that Covid is basically over. However I think that they are scared of actually doing it, because I really doubt few would return to the midweek meeting anyway ... and it would be to relieving to have meeting attendance officially much lower.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

If you tune into SixSreens on Saturdays,,,, the host Rick says covid19 was the "killer" for the Borg.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

As an outsider, I still shake my head about the fact that they so readily abandoned the sacred door to door work in the face of a bit of government opposition. They proudly sent their own people to jail back in the day. Abandoning the door to door work would be like the Mormons forsaking their hol(e)y underwear. Or the SDAs adopting a Sunday service.

But it seems the R&F were happy for the rest, and aren't too keen on getting back into the grind.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ NotFormer

Some of us suspect that if they hadn’t complied with federal directives and tapped the brakes on the door-to-door work during Covid, the WT’s charity status / tax-exemption might have been at risk.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Some of us suspect that if they hadn’t complied with federal directives and tapped the brakes on the door-to-door work during Covid, the WT’s charity status / tax-exemption might have been at risk."

I wonder? Was there any unofficial communication on the subject between Bethel and government? 🤔

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit