What do you think?

by Tahoe 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Hey Bribie---why not tell a couple of the elders you write comments on this site ? Let us know what happens.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

There were some forms of proselytizing I did not mind, such as conversations with people who had genuine questions when they learned I was a JW. But going door-to-door on weekend mornings --especially in the over-worked territories we lived in-- meant that we were creating a situation where we were least likely to be welcome. And no one cared, because reporting hours was an important metric.

I don't know how many years I went door-to-door. Thirty? I may have had two or three good conversations in all of that time. I had far more useful conversations at work or with friends who simply had a question or two. I don't think I converted anyone, but I was able to discuss issues and even leave literature with them sometimes. Accosting people in the street or bothering them at the worst times is only good for adding an hour to the monthly total. Not so good for actually saving people.

• Teddnzo
    Teddnzo
    BluesBrother10 hours ago

No need to hassle Bribie . I understand completely that letter writing is a deadly boring thing to do. I hated doing it in the past when I needed time. Personally, I never enjoyed H to H ministry, but I have known several who really did . I guess you are one of them.

-

Not many actually write letters, it’s just an excuse to get together for chat. Makes people think they are doing something worthwhile but Zo and I never wrote one letter that was actually sent off, during covid zoom ministry. I think most were the same as us.

Similar story with door to door preaching. These days it’s an excuse to make it look like you are doing something worthwhile but in reality hardly do that much at all. By the time you get there maybe ten mins later “where r we all meeting up for coffee “

this new JWLITE form of zoom or door to door minimalist ministry can be very enjoyable 😆🤩😉

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

ThomasMore,

That "unshunning" is virtually unheard of.

In my opinion it's an excellent sign that something is indeed unraveling in Watchtower Land.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

GrreatTeacher, do you think that there is a secret policy to lessen the shunning being passed down through the ranks, or is it more likely that individuals don't care anymore and are exercising basic human decency?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say no, it's not coming from above as any kind of policy, official or unofficial. In my estimation, policies from above don't liberalize anything. Look at the behavior of tantrumming CO's. They want more, more, more.

I think this might be a phenomenon that's actually rising from the bottom up. People have had a break in their indoctrination via Covid. No door to door and no physical meetings. Remember that successful indoctrination needs to keep you too busy to really think deeply about it.

There's also an element of the person putting much physical effort into it that creates a kind of self indoctrination by means of the Sunk Cost fallacy: "I've put too much of my life into this to give up now. I've given my best years of blood, sweat and tears. I need to stick around for the payoff."

But during the Covid closures, even the most faithful were not going door to door. They were not giving up hours to drive to the hall and back to attend meetings. Some were not getting dressed up in meeting clothes, especially after they just Zoomed in with cameras off. There was finally enough time away to think a little, and maybe more importantly to get accustomed to and enjoy a much freer life.

So, in my opinion, Covid broke the Cult. From the bottom up. No wonder the Org is angry and desperate. They're used to having control from the top down. But, the cat has been let out of the bag and the old pussycat ain't going back in anytime soon.

That's why one "brother" spoke to ThomasMore and that's why I predict more to follow. The brothers have simply finally heard the sound of their consciences and are listening to them.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    GrreatTeacher - “…The brothers have simply finally heard the sound of their consciences and are listening to them.”

Unsurprising, really.

Raise up a “generation” (sorry 😜) of folks on “The Truth”, some of ‘em will actually come to value actual, authentic truth.

Not to mention that all flawed ideologies need regular booster shots.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Zo and I never wrote one letter that was actually sent off, during covid zoom ministry. I think most were the same as us.

I gotta say I received three letters during lockdown and just afterward - one was even signed and addressed!!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

This bit really jumped out at me:

“…He yelled at us throughout the entire meeting because we're not doing enough to stop the exodus…”

Clearly, he knows something they don’t.

😏

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

GreatTeacher:

So, in my opinion, Covid broke the Cult. From the bottom up. No wonder the Org is angry and desperate. They're used to having control from the top down. But, the cat has been let out of the bag and the old pussycat ain't going back in anytime soon.

Good points. I agree!

👍👍

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit