For those without mothers

by Lady Lee 59 Replies latest jw friends

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Emma and I at her 3rd Birthday Party.

There are many touching posts here. Enough that I sat here for a long while and cried, in fact, still crying. The best goddamn thing to ever happen to me was certain people in my life. My two mothers and the gift of being a mother myself are beyond anything I could ask for.

And to never have had the love of my mothers, well... I know this... Life was worth living because of how much the truly LOVED me.

For mothers that are f**k ups, I have pity for you. Pity for the lives you hurt, pity for your mental instability to be so seriously screwed that you cannot love the very little person that you carried and gave birth to.

No religion, no God, no army, no man, no NOTHING will EVER take my bond away that I share with my daughter. Ever.

I am one of the fortunate ones, and I owe EVERYTHING for who I have become because of my second Mom. No matter what I did, no matter the mistakes me or any of her children made, she loved us without conditions. Despite her personal problems, she put our needs above her own. I truly feel people on this earth are a direct result of thier mother figure, as she (and in some cases he) is the most powerful influence on thier lives.

This month has been a year since my mother's death and 21 years since my first mother's death. I miss them both so very much, and yet, I consider myself lucky to have been touched by them.

• Prisca
    Prisca

(((((((((Katie)))))))))) Here's the hug that you need (I could do with one too, so thanks for the hug)

I hope that your Mum doesn't have cancer, that the lump is benign, but if it is, then it's not too late to tell her how much you care about her, and that you want to remain a definite part in her life. I know it's hard living a long distance from your family but we have the telephone and the internet that help bring us closer together. You said you were worried about her brief emails - is she like that in her phone calls too? The internet is only one dimensional, it's easy to misinterpret things. I'd suggest that you call her, at least for your own peace of mind. If she does have cancer, she'll need all the support she can get, and a loving daughter such as yourself is a precious thing to have. Make the most of your time with your Mum, we only get to have one Mum in our lives.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I'm really scared, concerned and so sad about this!

Katie I am so very sorry. If I'm reading correctly, even though they haven't got the biopsy results back, it doesn't sound good.

I think it's okay to be scared as well as sad. You've missed out on a lot and now you're facing the prospect of losing her. I totally understand you when you say she is stoic, Nina's mother was like that. Her family came from Greece near Sparta and yes, they were VERY spartan. But perhaps if you made an overture to her, do you think she would receive it well? Especially at this point in time. We always knew to get worried with Nina's mother when she wouldn't talk about a doctor's visit. Everything else was drama queen squared meets the last scene from Camille, except when there was a real problem.

I don't want you to reach out if her possible rejection would cause pain to you. Gee, this is tough.

Sending you all my best Katie. Be well and good luck.

Chris

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Katie, I enjoyed your post and I could just feel the pain by the way you wrote it. I am so sorry you are going thru this hard time,,,,,,,,,,so here is another hug for you, you are a sweet, sweet woman, and you are much loved by us all here.........(((((((((((((((((((((((Katie))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Fantastic picture Moe! I love her eyes. Very clear and bright.

No religion, no God, no army, no man, no NOTHING will EVER take my bond away that I share with my daughter. Ever.

As it should be. You're a great mom and a loving person.

• Nikita
    Nikita

((((((((((((Katie)))))))))))))

Myself, thank you!

Well, her religion be damned - she's having a Mother's Day this year and she's going to know that it's a Mother's Day too. No pretense

DFWnonJW, good for you! Hope it's a very special day.

Leslie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You all are awesome people. Your stories break my heart. Thank you all for finding ways to express your pain, sadness, fears, hurts and regrets. I never expected such out-pouring. I hope it has been as healing for you to write as it has to read.

My relationship with my mother has never been an easy one. She got pregnant with me before she was married. Her plan was to give me up for adoption. She would often tell me it was the nurses in the hospital who convinced her to take me home. Before long she had more babies and was living with an insane man who beat her especially when she was pregnant. When I was 9 she left him and me. I didn't know where she was for 3 years. During that time I was sexually abused by my father. Eventually he was arrested and the police found my mother and I went to live with her.

She and her common-law husband were studying with the JWs. When she discovered him abusing me she sent me into foster care. For another 3 years I never heard from her. I ached inside. I wondered where she was, what she was doing. How my brothers and sisters were. Did any of them ever think of me.When I was 16 I went for a visit for the summer... and I stayed. The old boyfriend was gone and I took up caring for my brothers and sister and for her. I was her confidante, her friend, and her maid.I was also her whipping post, the one she blamed for her miserable life, and all her problems in life and with her kids. I got my last beating from her when I was 17 years old just before she found a new way to get rid of me. Within 2 years she found another way to get rid of me. She married me off to a newly baptized brother whom I barely knew.

When things were really bad after only 3 months I begged her to let me come home and she refused. She never wanted me back, not then not ever. I lasted in the marriage for 15 years and when I left and was DFed she finally had her way out from me. She has used that to keep me away. It works for her. She can say she can't talk to me because of the DFing but deep down I know it is an excuse. She has spent my lifetime pushing me away, leaving me behind and forgetting me.

I don't understand how she can reject a child over and over. I ache that I don't see my girls more often. Sometimes I wish I hadn't moved so far away. I remeber how hard I tried to get her to love me. I wahsed her clothes and raised her kids, Made her supper and cleaned her house. I gave up my dreams and joined a cult. I married a man and stayed - all to make her happy. But nothing was ever good enough. ever.

Over the last few years I have come to terms with the fact that my mother is a sick woman. A friend of mine asked me if I ever considered that my mother might be mentally ill. I had never thoguht of it. We all acknowledged that my father had major problems but my mother seemed so good in comparison. That makes me really sad. She looked good in comparison to him. But we all knew he was dangerous. Her hurt was deeper. The scars he caused were easy to identify. Hers weren't. Abuse in the guise of love.

I hate it when people say "She loved me the best she could" Sadly I now believe my mother doesn't know what love is. How sad because I was so willing to love her. But it was never good enough. Reality is that she never felt good enough to accept it..

She is a hard woman to love. I don't know that I do. I do know I wish she was different

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

my god... I have to stop reading this thread tonight. I am so very sorry to those of you who never felt the love of a mother. I simply cannot convey how sad I feel in reading some of this. A person can endure ANYTHING if they know they are loved. Without love, why... what else is left?

• Nikita
    Nikita

Lady Lee, I just wanted you to know that I literally ache for you. I am just dumbfounded that a mom could be so cruel. I look at my daughter and think, "how can a parent be so cruel to their own child?' I felt the same way for Big Tex. Hugs to you.

Leslie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thank you Nikita I am awestruck at the pain in here of those who have lost a parent in death but even more by those who have lost a parent because of abuse and/or the Borg

Thank you to Simon for restoring this thread

For those who have posted pictures - wow they all got me teary eyed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit