The end is so close now....

by punkofnice 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just shows you that Jehovah's Witnesses and their "Chicken Little" message is pretty much a JOKE to most people.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Throw in the recent Corona Virus and a couple of earthquakes and the old end of day mental programing, kicks in.

It reminds me of when you're thinking of buying a red Ford truck (for example), or a friend of yours gets a yellow Volkswagen and suddenly you start seeing them everywhere. It's not that suddenly there are more red Fords or yellow Volkswagens on the road, it's just that for survival reason your subconscious is wired to see patterns and it gathers information that supports pre-existing fear based beliefs or views.

In other words..."Confirmation Bias".

For JW's (and former JW's) , years of systematic programing turns otherwise isolated weather, geological and societal occurrences, into omens linked to a global catastrophe, even though it never arrives.

• Half banana
    Half banana

It's the JW mantra: "The end is close", exactly as they have been saying for 140 years!

It is obviously not true historically, so why for goodness sake persist in believing it now ?

Do you think that it is because to start doubting the wisdom of the Watchtower would send a JW into a pit of despair?

The loss of the life-belt of hope they have been thrown by the organisation would have terrible ramifications. Firstly to doubt is a sin, to leave the org means shunning and loss of family and friends. But worse still the JW becomes a social orphan with nowhere to turn except to confront their own life and secret motivations.... How appalling!

A JW without the org is a poor thing. He or she, perhaps for the very first time, has to become responsible for their own mistakes and have to own up to making a mess of life, or family or work, let alone the frightening new need to make decisions based on private reasoning as opposed to having it all mapped out -- and even one's conscience supplied courtesy of the Org!

Much, much easier to fold the ears close to the skull and keep taking the Watchtower opiates. Believe it's "just around the corner", relax, drop shoulders and sigh with relief........

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

It is so close that you better not buy any ripe bananas. Buy green ones to give you a couple of more days for the end to come and still enjoy your bananas.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

It gets me that it was soo close since the cult started. It was started on the idea that the end was a few years away back in the 19th century. I was a born in but had always felt that they had their feet to the fire with the this gen will not pass away BS. In 95 when they did the scam of changing the meaning of the word generation I was out. Done with this BS I remember telling my wife. Its been a long road to recovery but its worth it.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

As always, with Watchtower it is always a game of semantics. What exactly does "close" mean, especially without a second point of reference. My dear old dad always told me you have to have at least 2 points of reference before you can gain perspective.

So, as I recently learned, remains of modern man have been found going back over 150,000 years. That's what anthropological research has found. Geological research has found that massive, near extinction level events happen on Earth about ever 6,000 to 10,000 years. This is why history only goes back so far. Literally, ever so many millennia civilization is reduced to rubble and ash. So, were pretty much over do for another pressing of the reset button.

That being said, the Judeo-Christian fairy tale of Armageddon is no closer now than it was back in 1872 when Zion's Watchtower preached gloom and doom. In fact, I love bringing up to Witnesses at my door that things are better now than they have ever been in human history.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Questioning or saying you have heard it for 60 years is like wearing a maga hat at the DNC

road to nowhere ...

That is funny.

Rub a Dub

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my end used to be very near--but--these days it seems to be a little further away. yippee.

• Ding
    Ding

It's one thing to be hoodwinked into believing the end is just around the corner.

It's quite another to allow yourself to be hoodwinked half a dozen times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit