Why does the US call itself ALONE"America"?

by JH 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess
    I also sometimes call Pepsi Coke

That's a Texas thing. My husband enlightened me early on that coke is any kind of soda in Texas.

• Maverick
    Maverick

We are AmeriCA the rest of the two continents are the AmeriCAS. I know this subtle difference might be lost on our foreign friends. But they are spelled differently! I didn't make this up, OK! And the sun rarely sets on our carrier battle groups. And nowhere is too far for our stelth aircraft and nuclear subs. And our satellites see y-all taking a dump anywhere on the planet. And our flag is planted on the surface of the moon, for over thiry years! Maverick

• one
    one

Some day a citizen of one of those American countries will sue the USA, maybe a class action...

• one
    one

An asian island was named (re-named) USA ( not U..S..A.) for marketing purposes

A new American country may be born and, you guess it...or an old American country may decide to modify or change its name and, you guessed it again...But do they actually have to be in America to do it? One of those Arab countries may just like the A merica. They invented the decimal numbering system so they may just as well adopt the whole alphabet for any disputable purpose..

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Well, the USA does have the word: America in it.

And well, it's one of those things that is so internationally and globally identifiable.

When I was in the U.K. people would often start with: "Are you American?" or that if you were from North America, you were: American.

As a Canadian it made me realize how little most Brits knew about North American geography as a whole.

The accent thing, yes, we're close linguistically speaking.

Aztec: it's Canuckistani

Francois, if you think Chretien is bad for facial anomolies, Mulroney and the giant ski-slope chin was a real winner. My least favourite Canadian politician, EVER! (1984-1993) good riddance to that prick.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Why does the US call itself "America"?

Because "Canada" was taken.

It's pronounced "Merka." Just ask any good ol' boy from the South!

Damn straight.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have always wondered that too................but we aren't the only ones who call us Americans. Most of the world calls the U.S. America.

When we were in Poland, at the conventions in 1989, I had USA. on my name tag. A Polish brother came up to me and read "Ooosa?". I should have said "America".

• Soledad
    Soledad

funny, the "official" names for Mexico, Peru, and Ecuador are "Estados Unidos (Mexicanos)(Peruanos)(Ecuatorianos)

neat huh? there is more than 1 Estados Unidos Americanos

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hey just2, are you a history buff too? I may not always have all my facts completly straight but I was damn close...LOL! Rayzor, Canuckistani, my apologies. I was close though eh? ;) ~Aztec

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

what would you have us called? United Stations? United Staters? The only real 'yanks' are the ones from north of the Mason/Dixon line....

When I hear someone say North American---it makes me think they are from Canada or Mexico since the US is just 'american'.

Is there another country that does not lend itself well linguistically to identifying its citizens with its proper name?

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit