Why does the US call itself ALONE"America"?

by JH 71 Replies latest jw friends

• DJ
    DJ

Amerigo Vespucci is why.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I always thought Canadians were Americans, because Canada is in North America - but whenever I ask a Canadian if they are American, they deny it (even vehemently) - and I think that it's very strange - unless people wear red maple leaves or something, I can't tell the difference, so I ask - and they deny (??).

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

When travelling abroad, when someone is asked about their citizenship, if you are from the United States, it is almost a given that you are identified as: American.

When I travel to the United States from Canada, I am asked: 'Are you Canadian or American?' or 'what is your citizenship?' etc., and when you say AMERICAN: it means, you hold the citizenship of the United States of America.

As Canadians, trust me, we KNOW the difference. So do most or all Americans.

When I was in Asia several years ago, I would sometimes identify myself as someone from 'North America' because, as a Canadian, I was from the continent of North America. But to identify myself as an American, given the colloquial terms related to the use of such adjective, would be false. Because I am not an American.

We could debate semantics, but in reality, no matter what most people would say, when you say you are an American: you are a citizen of the United States of America.

If you are Canadian, you reside within the continent of North America. But you are the citizen of the country within the continent.

For you folks from the U.K. do you consider yourselves: Europeans ?

Honestly, just curious as to how you would answer this question. Thanks.

• Mary
    Mary

I think it's just been something that's been passed down through the centuries. When America was first "discovered", Canada as a country didn't exist, and this land was considered part of "America".

"....And have a prime minister who talks outta the side of his head. Neat trick...."

Don't get me started on our Prime Minister.........he speaks his own language: Chretianize...........not even the French can understand what the hell he says.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Here is the real explanation:

Originally--after discovery by the Columbus expedition and further exploration by European explorers, the continents known today as North and South America, were called various names, "Columbia" being popular as many people naturally thought the territory should be named after Columbus.

Meanwhile a rather unknown explorer, Amerigo Vespucci, born in Florence in 1454, sailed with Alonso de Ojeda in 1499, parting with him even before land was sighted in the West Indies. Vespucci, sailing in his own ship, then discovered and explored the mouth of the Amazon, subsequently sailing along the northern shores of South America. He returned to Spain and entered the service of the Portugese and then back to Spanish service where he eventually was made pilot major. Vespucci not only explored unknown territory he also invented a system of computing exact longitude and arrived at a figure computing the earth's equatorial circumference only 50 miles short of the correct measurement.

Vespucci wrote many letters about his voyages including one to Lorenzo de' Medici in which he described "the New World". Several of these letters were rewritten and sensationalized by an unknown author, who published these forgeries as "Four Voyages" in 1507. Of of these forged letters was read by the brilliant young German cartographer, Martin Waldseemuller, who was so impressed with the account that he include a map of the New World in an appendix to his book Cosmographia Introductio, boldly labeling the land "America."

Waldseemuller's map roughly represented South America. When later cartographers added North America the name was kept. Later the great geographer, Gerhardus Mercator, gave the name "America" to all of the Western Hemisphere.

The major reason Columbia did not catch on is because Columbus to his dying day refused to acknowledge that the new land was in fact a previously "undiscovered" country and insisted that the lands were a part of Asia. Spain continued to call the lands Columbia until the 18th Century.

The name "United States of America" was chosen by the colonists to show their unity as independently established colonists into a cohesive federal government against the British monarchy.

During the 18th Century "America" came to be used as a term of endearment to the millions of immigrants seeking a better way of life. Believe me when they spoke of going to "America" for a chance at the brass ring they were not thinking Mexico, Brazil or even Canada!

I believe that out of this era arose the common use of shortening the USA to just America and the strong identity of the name with the US.

Incidently, the Vikings or Norsemen were the first Western European explorers of the Western Hemisphere, mostly notably Leif Ericsson who called the land, "Vinland" for the abundant wild grapes that they found on the East Coast, but since he didn't have a good publicist the name never caught on.

It is also likely that Eastern Asian or Russian fishermen had made contact with the Aleutian Islands and there are settlements in Alaska that predate Columbus.

Not too mention the multitude of "native american" tribes that had long since existed on the North and South American continent while Europe was just a baby. These peoples have various names for the land in their own language.

Getting back to today--get over your envy.

"North America" is Mexico, US and Canada. "South America" from Columbia to Argentina. "Central America" from Belize to Panama.

But just plain "America" is only the USA.

--Eduardo

• rocketman
    rocketman

Informative post Eduardo, thanks.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

when I said 18th century above I was thinking 1800s which was the 19th Century

--ed

• undercover
    undercover

Why does the US call itself America?

Because we can. And who's gonna stop us?

• Gerard
    Gerard

The answer lies in colonial history: In 1823, President Monroe came up with a doctrine later known as Monroe Doctr ine which - in escense- claimed "America for the Americans". He declared that "we should consider any attempt by other European nations to extend their system to any portion of this hemisphere as dangerous to our peace and safety". That line of though still lies in the subconcious "American" culture:

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/monroe.htm

http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/monrodoc.html

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/democrac/50.htm

• outnfree
    outnfree

When I lived in Canada I was always careful to say I was from "the States." That was definitely more P.C. than calling myself an American.

Anywhere else in the world calling myself an American = being a citizen of the United States of America, and "no worries" about any indignation.

I don't know why Canadians are so sensitive to this term, I don't think Mexicans mind...

outnfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit