Why does the US call itself ALONE"America"?

by JH 71 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

America is 2 continents (North and South). So when I hear that a country calls itself by the name of 2 continents, it sounds as if it wants to look really big.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that is my impression when they say, "here in America"........

For example if you go to China, and say to the Chineese that America is beautiful, well what would they think? Would they think of The US or would they think of the continent as beautiful?

Go to another country and say, that you live in America. They would say to themselves, well where in America?

So that's my reasoning.....

• Francois
    Francois

OR, or, they could call themselves Canucks. And have a prime minister who talks outta the side of his head. Neat trick.

francois

• Aztec
    Aztec

It's just an abbreviation! If Canada changed it's name to The United States of Canada most of it's residents would (still) call themselves Canadians. Or Canuckistans if you're Rayzorblade...LOL! Got it JH? :) ~Aztec

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    And have a prime minister who talks outta the side of his head. Neat trick.

Except it's not always the same side. The retard can't even do the Saddamesque doubles thing correctly. Retard.

Expatbrit

• JH
    JH

Next time I send a letter to the United States of America, I will just put America.

I hope it won't end up in Rio de Janeiro...

It just bugs me to hear that, that's all.....

• mustang
    mustang

"For example if you go to China, and say to the Chineese that America is beautiful, well what would they think? Would they think of The US or would they think of the continent as beautiful?"

JH,

It turns out that the Chinese word for the country "America" (the United States of America) IS MEI-GWO. This is the PinYin or Romanization of the Mandarin or Standard Chinese. Mei-Gwo literally means "Beautiful Country"; the Chinese ACTUALLY DO use "beautiful country" as the name of the USA, not the continent. This comes from the national anthem, "America the Beautiful".

Bad example

Mustang

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I thought our Canadian brothers called their country "eh, MERIC,eh."

eh?

• JH
    JH

Put that on an envelope and see where it ends up....

Return to sender....

• Farkel
    Farkel

It's pronounced "Merka." Just ask any good ol' boy from the South!

Farkel

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello JH,

Well, This may be where two wrongs make a right (or three or four wrongs).

Aztec was close by mentioning cartographer, Amerigo Vespucci. It seems Columbus never made it to the mainland of America, North, South or Central (well, maybe Central). A couple of years after Christopher returned from the Virgin Islands Amerigo sailed west and landed on the mainland. It was established enough 500 years ago that the continent was named after Amerigo (America). Many years later the more populated territories of European colonies named themselves the United Stated of America (Amerigo).

Since then doubt has been raise as to whether or not the cartographer Amerigo Vespucci actually ever landed on the mainland, but the name has stuck. Perhaps it should be The United States of Columbia. Whether America or Columbia the US has been for two centuries the center of social, scientific and economic development in the continent. That may not justify referring to themselves as America, but I'll bet it would make Amerigo Vespucce proud.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit