Why does the US call itself ALONE"America"?

by JH 71 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Your missing the point here,

Americans think that they ALONE are America.

Ask an American what is the population of America, they think you mean the USA only.

My point was to prove that Canada also is America.

If I said Canada alone was America, now you would get mad, no???

I'm not talking at all about the name Americans, that's something else. Thats a perfect name

I might be wrong, but I think the USA was the first nation to establish it's independence from a colonial power. So I think that maybe a reason the term American is sometimes applied solely to ppl from the USA. I hardly think that ppl from the colonies (before their becoming independent) referred to themselves as anything other than citizens of their native countries.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Oh, and how many people from Morocco id themselves as "Africans?" Seems to me some groups from that CONTINENT just are hijacking the name...

I think we're just going a tad overboard on the world domination theme, lol.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I have an entirely unsupported opinion that the founding fathers (a.k.a. "those traitorous swine" according to my old history teacher) of the United States of America fully intended the entire continent to come under their political sway, and if it hadn't been for the ass-kicking of 1812, they probably would have got their wish.

Expatbrit

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Let's see, too bad the Brits lost so many of THEIR imperial quests..."The sun never sets on the British Empire" was said with such PRIDE at one time.

• Valis
    Valis

Some of us merikans aint as dumb as you give us credit fer... I think I'm starting to see why some US folks have left the forum recently...this mess goes on and on and on, no point, nothing constructive, just crap..yet it is allowed ad infinitum.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ballistic
    ballistic

It takes a lot of effort for us Brits to call ourselves "Europeans". In fact, we just don't bother.

Perhaps this is it.

The questions is: Do you call yourselves Americans because of your relationship to other nationalities who are "american", or just because it is part of the name of your country (an abreviation) or... the other perception that I guess this thread is about, that they can use the name becuase of their size and no one can stop them?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    Let's see, too bad the Brits lost so many of THEIR imperial quests..."The sun never sets on the British Empire" was said with such PRIDE at one time.

Ha! We just went underground to exercise our ABSOLUTE POWER! Underground....sun setting...iIlluminati....see? It's yer classic case of superior British intellect like wot no-one else can understand, see?

Expatbrit

• ballistic
    ballistic

Perhaps I missed something?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

It was the boat, Ballistic.

Expatbrit

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Is this yet another thread about America and Americans??!!! Wow, you people must really love us!

Dana *happy to be in the land of the free and the home of the brave...also known as the land of high fees and the home of the slaves*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit