How to sue the WT over shunning policy. It CAN happen!

by Bad_Wolf 224 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JC323
    JC323

No, a judicial committee doesn't violate any US law. Just as the Canadian Court ruled that only decision-making bodies that have a public interest are reviewable by a civil court.

And the threat of taking away tax exempt status would also be a violation of the US Constitution. Certainly, the US Government can say all religions must pay taxes, but what they cannot say is, if we don't like the way that you practice your religion you will lose your tax-exempt status.

• poopie
    poopie

The u.s. us not the govt im talking about the eu more humane.

• poopie
    poopie

And in the u.s. the violation is freedom of association.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I heard that they may have announce my disfellowshipping to congregations over 3,000 miles away on the east coast of the US because I sent mailings to some in those congregation with my business return address. I sent them copies from the internet with the 8 criteria for thought reform with my return address:

http://www.exitsupportnetwork.com/artcls/mindctrl/lifton.htm

• JC323
    JC323

And that is why France had to grant JWs tax-exempt status because the ECHR said that even if you don't like a particular faith you have to treat all faiths equally.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    JWs coerce their members to shun by threatening them of loosing contact with their entire social and family circle if they don't. This practice is clearly cruel and infringes on the right to freedom of association.

You are undermining freedom of association by appealing to freedom of association.

If you value you freedom of association, then you must allow people to freely join any group they wish - along with the clearly stated rules of the group. They can also leave the group, if they wish.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    If you value you freedom of association, then you must allow people to freely join any group they wish - along with the clearly stated rules of the group. They can also leave the group, if they wish.

That's precisely the problem with religions, children never get that chance. We also often see religions being compared to social groups. That's a faulty illustration. It is common to find people where their entire family and social circle are members of the same religion whereas, it is nearly impossible to say the same about any other social groups such as dance club, bowling club, etc. This is why religions enforcing shunning is actually a cruel and coercive practice that deprive their members from their freedom.

Beside, which other social group type could you imagine that would hold such a practice?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

The Scientology case confirmed that “disconnect” (aka: shunning) is a recognised religious beliefs protected by the first amendment. However, as you have read before, I submit that these cases did not have to render judgment on the right for religions to enforce such belief, aka: coerce their members.

Like the church of scientology, religions who practice shunning do not contend to teach and order shunning, they go a step further: They punish those who do not submit to this order, thus coercing their members.

Yes, you are correct, Government, Parents and employers use their position of authority to coerce. However, they cannot do it in any way they see fit. For instance, in Canada, employers are in fact not allowed to tolerate shunning within the workspace as it is considered a form of bullying! The same would go with parents. Should they actually used this type of mental cruelty within their household, no one would be surprised to see child services intervening and possibly removing the children from such a toxic environment.

JW are very much aware of the “by product” of their practice and actually wish it upon their ex members. This can be seen through their magazines equating such pain as a form of discipline from God. The problem however is that in the end, though it has been presented to the courts as a by-product, it is not. JWs actively threaten members who would not respect the shunning order.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    JWs actively threaten members who would not respect the shunning order.

But didn't these members voluntarily join the group with these rules?

That's precisely the problem with religions, children never get that chance.

Then the parents of these children are to blame. They took their children to the baptism pool knowing the full consequences.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    But didn't these members voluntarily join the group with these rules?

No. The majority of them today did not as they were born in and baptized while they were minors, some as young as 8 years old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit