How to sue the WT over shunning policy. It CAN happen!

by Bad_Wolf 224 Replies latest watchtower bible

• steve2
    steve2

Fair enough Bad Wolf. I had forgotten that the Canadian case was about loss of clients. I also thought the organization's lawyer was not well cross-examined when he presented a watered-down account of normal relationships remaining in place and only spiritual contact stopping.

Would you be prepared to seek legal advice and pursue legal action against the organization over its shunning policy? That would be the clearest way to find out.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    Fair enough Bad Wolf. I had forgotten that the Canadian case was about loss of clients. I also thought the organization's lawyer was not well cross-examined when he presented a watered-down account of normal relationships remaining in place and only spiritual contact stopping

I would LOVE to be in a lawsuit and the JW lawyer does that, then have them read a recent article or the daily text of today, which says. "Despite our pain of heart, we must

avoid normal contact with a disfellowshipped family member by

telephone, text messages, letters,

e-mails, or social media."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The real long standing problem is how does a mere private citizen with limited funding go up in a court of law against an organization that has millions to spend on its legal support ??

Unfortunately the American government created laws that gave too much power and unregulation to religious institutions including freedom from taxation for organizations like the WTS/JWS to use, exploit and build upon.

When its realized the WTS was a pretentious commercialized fraud that created doctrines to allure and mentally subdue people to their own control, means and sustenance it becomes a probable factor to why the WTS created a shunning policy to problematic dissidents..

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

"Unfortunately the American government created laws that gave too much power and unregulation to religious institutions including freedom from taxation for organizations like the WTS/JWS to use, exploit and build upon. "

Perhaps the way to go is to sue the individual Elder or Elders who made the decision to DF you and/or read your name aloud in front of the congregation.

I don't know if the "society" would back them up. It seems to me they'd get thrown under the bus just the way Publisher are, by claiming they acted of their own accord.

• Della Street
    Della Street

I have not yet read the posted article...

I could see this becoming legal from the stance of promoting hate. The protected class that could pursue this would be the LGBTQ community. From those foundational arguments, it isn't a stretch to say that ALL shunning is religious persecution since people are either choosing another religion, or choosing to believe something else entirely. It is also true that the JWs could be seen as interfering with an individual's right of freedom of assembly and association since individuals are not free to join or leave a group without social consequence.

• blisterfeet
    blisterfeet

If there was a class action lawsuit against the orginization I would sign my name up, but this is not something I would peruse on my own.. maybe it’s laziness, maybe it is some crazy sense of loyalty to my own brainwashed family, this to me seems more like a power in numbers thing. For the record I do not agree with the shunning doctrine and it is distrucrive for individuals and families. It just seems like an uphill battle that would dig a lot of emotions and pain out of the closet.. while I do like to read articles and keep up with the exjw “news” so to speak, I really do feel like I have moved on with my life. My family was a part of my life, and now they are not. Like an old job I have no ill will towards.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I don't see a lawsuit being successful in the US because the Courts give great tolerance to the separation of Church and State & Freedom of Religion.

In Europe where the are laws on speech based on "hate crimes", I think there could be some successful lawsuits in the future, but these maybe suits from the Government against the WTS for their lack of religious tolerance.

Policy will quickly change if it starts to affect the WT$ cash flow.

Image result for broken piggy bank

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

A case about loss of clients, in a lawsuit seeking money damages, makes more sense than this emotional stuff you guys are talking about. He can show proof that he made x and lost that specific opportunity. It's easy, and he still lost. Trying cases seeking money based on emotion because someone won't talk to you? Good luck.

I look forward to your cases. I'll cover it on my podcast and hope you succeed but the hope here seems purely emotional.

• steve2
    steve2

but these maybe suits from the Government against the WTS for their lack of religious tolerance.

I've more than a hunch JW organization would love it if this happened; it would be seized upon as proof that worldly organizations are turning on Jehovah's people for upholding the "truth". Ridiculous I know - but that's how it would be - and indeed, has been - framed.

• Simon
    Simon
    This is a very good document from a law school ...

So effectively, a trade body promoting services of their members ...

There is a lawyer somewhere that will tell you that any case you can imagine is worth pursuing. What they won't stress is that it's mostly worth pursuing for them, not you.

If winning the case would require that the whole fabric of society and family interactions be turned upside down, then it's not going to happen.

Save your money, spend it on something positive because unless you have a genuine claim based on some crime being committed or right being denied or violated, there is no case. Someone's family choosing to follow a belief system, however much we might think they shouldn't, is not something that a court is going to get involved in.

It comes back to the issue of whether the government should be involved forcing families or other members of a group to associate with each other. I can't think of anything quite so terrifying. The closest thing that approaches that would be child custody / visitation rights and look at what is involved in all that and how involved it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit