Counting time

by Emma 59 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    True for pioneers. Regular publishers don't get that perk. (Counting time, travelling and using a skilled trade at KH)

It is truly amazing what counts as a "perk" in this organisation.

• sir82
    sir82

It is truly amazing what counts as a "perk" in this organisation.

LOL.

Don't forget "privileges"!

Only in JW-land is cleaning an assembly hall toilet counted as a "privilege".

"May I join the crew that cleans the toilets, Brother Fullofyourself?"

"That privilege is reserved for exemplary publishers, Sister Lowselfesteem. When you bring your field service average up, then come talk to me."

"Oh thank you for the kind, wise, loving counsel, dear brother."

• bemused
    bemused

It's like working for a sales organization where you are rewarded for how many hours you chat on the phone rather than for how many sales you make. It would make more business sense (where the business is selling religion) to reward JWs who get new people to the Kingdom Hall, rather than reward those who record many hours and harass those who record less time.

Mind you, I guess returning a 'converts sheet' showing zero success month after month could get a bit demoralizing.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember when you couldn't count anything less than half an hour. Then they changed that rule to let you record 15mins. And lo and behold the number of hours shot up... it doesn't take a genius to realize that all those 15mins add up!!

Even when i was in i saw through that.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The most amazing part of this is that the majority of them still believe Jehovah is blessing their service, or what passes for it these days.

• Zaccheus
    Zaccheus

I loved it when we worked a distant rural territory, and someone would take us to their in-town territory to knock on a door or two "to start our time." Supposedly we couldn't count our drive time unless we "punched in" with an official ringing of a doorbell.

I always started my time when we pulled out of the KH parking lot.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Supposedly we couldn't count our drive time unless we "punched in" with an official ringing of a doorbell.

I remember the "scandal" when the elders discovered that a couple of pioneer sisters in the congregation were in the habit of doing one "return visit" before the meeting for field service, so they could start counting their time early. What sneaks! Is that allowed? The debate raged on with a feeble persistence of people with nothing better to talk about.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I was told many times by elder "former" friends to count my time when I helped my mom or other needy ones in the hall. It was for them to show more hours and so my low D2D hours wouldn't reflect poorly on me or the congregation, and bring down the congregation average. I never did it though.

I'm still amazed at the cart witnessing. But it makes sense. And I've heard the same thing, those that qualify to get a cart are thrilled with this easy time reporting. There was a couple outside a Trader Joe's. They were sitting on their electric wheel chairs next to the trolleys having the time of their lives.

• Emma
    Emma

NewYork 44M, "I, on the other hand, am jealous. Why did I not think of that trick when I was trying to "get my time in."

I know, I was such a diligent pioneer. It was impossible for me to keep it up. How about just taping mags in the window and count time endlessly.

• blondie
    blondie

I learned from other pioneers about starting time before meeting with the group, that would take 45 minutes before we left. Do 45 minutes d2d, stop for break for 1 hour, then do a rv on the way home...count 3 hours.

I remember the sisters that kept their time going using cellphones in the car, 3 at one time, thank goodness the driver did not do the same.

Taking 3 sisters on a bible study with one person....could have had 2 go d2d and one on the study.

Or the book study conductor who would meet, make car groups and then take off with the MS to make shepherding calls. My husband was that MS and he said they got oil changed on car, picked up dry cleaning, swung by to pick up meds at pharmacy etc. and gossiped to my husband about confidential matters in the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit