EU Court Ruling Against WT on Data-Protection

by cofty 113 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Splash
    Splash

I wonder if there will ever be a letter read to the congregations to explain this ruling and what that means for future door to door note taking.

My guess is that it will just be ignored and everything will go on as usual.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

They not formally handed over to the elders. That’s what I meant (and what I said)

You used the word "access" and applied your own definition. Just wanted to clarify that personal notes are indeed "accessed" (aka looked at, used) by fellow congregation members, including elders, when organizing the territory data.

In regards to the statement "they are not formally handed over to elders", this is also not completely true. Perhaps in Europe it is a practice that WT is trying to discontinue in light of this new law/litigation, but in much of the world it has been and continues to be common practice for publishers to turn in registry and householder notes so as to be archived with the territory slips.

• StarryNight9
    StarryNight9

Could someone explain how this ruling will affect JWs in the EU? Thank you in advance!

*I'm not familiar with EU data laws.

• Doubter
    Doubter

Fair, sanchy.

• Half banana
    Half banana

It could be suggested that publishers make a private note on a scrap of paper seen only by themselves and return an other time. But hell who are we to tell JWs how to waste their time more effectively!

Going door to door is only a JW custom, hardly anyone in the Western World responds anymore, except the desparate, friendless and mentally unstable. The real reason for going door to door is no longer to find the mythical sheep but is to comply with HQ's demand that you obediently spend a certain time performing this particular ritual.

Get a proper life JWs!

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

I know quite a few brothers and sisters who lost their call books over the years and these could have fallen into anyone's hands.

Also, calls are regularly passed on to other publishers and elders, etc. (I.e. sisters handing over male route calls or studies to a brother).

• Alive!
    Alive!

The point is that personal records/notes are kept, very personal information are sometimes kept in notebooks, regarding a persons life, circumstances, hours of work etc. Say a particularly detail orientated JW left their HH/study book on a bus, dropped on pavement etc?

I know in the past, very detailed and exposing notes were often kept.....

• menrov
    menrov

JWs are assigned to a congregation, the congregation assigns the territory for field service. On the map, the so-called not callers are shown. Individuals will have their own list of people not at home and will also make use of those from others. Re-visits are done in pairs so info is shared. WT cannot prove it does not have access to personal notes nor show a firm policy that prevents the public sharing of notes among members. All this is not in line with the new laws. Who knows, first step to stop door to door work.

• Doubter
    Doubter

Alive!

Well, if that’s your rationale, make it illegal to store information on computers connected to the internet.

Cyber identity theft has never been higher. You have an exponentially greater chance of having your information hacked than lost in a jw notebook that was dropped in a train station.

That’s not a strong argument.

• StarryNight9
    StarryNight9

Doubter: "Well, if that’s your rationale, make it illegal to store information on computers connected to the internet."

It is actually illegal to store certain information on computers without putting specific protections on it (USA laws). Medical data is one type I can think of.

*these laws apply to businesses/organizations, not individuals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit