Gas or Electric Stove

by just fine 52 Replies latest jw friends

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Watch the popular cooking shows hosted by professionally trained chefs.

How many use electric ranges?

There’s your answer.

• just fine
    just fine

Good point, except I don't ever watch those cooking shows 😜. I actually like to cook and experiment with new things. Because I have always had electric appliances, I was torn about which way to go. Now I know.

• Incognito
    Incognito

If being usable in a power outage is a concern, I don't believe standing pilots are permitted any longer so almost all now are equipped with electric spark ignition. Check the various models to see if it is possible to override the spark igniter, so as to manually light burners with a match or BBQ lighter.

• just fine
    just fine

You are correct they no longer make the "pilot" light kind of stoves. We have a generator so power outages aren't really an issue.

• compound complex
    compound complex

"CoCo -- what's your FAV gas cooktop that is installed on countertops? I'm not much of a cook anymore -- let's just say I don't cook anymore and my kitchen has never had the big range like you pictured but I've had the best Euro/gas ones that are set in the island part of kitchen. I'm redoing my kitchen but will still be same layout for cooktop. Thanks." -- LV101

Thanks for asking, LV101!

Apart from loving the WOLF, which I use on occasion, I really have no preference.

Much of my simple cooking, at my own place, is in electric skillets or a crock pot. My use of fancy ranges, including Thermador (too many bells and whistles and attendant issues), is during house sitting jobs. I truly have no preference as they all cook pretty much the same.

My deal -- as written already -- is cleaning ease. The WOLF is a cinch. White or black Corning tops, Thermador, and Jenn-air electric (way too many parts to take apart and reassemble) I would never have.

Maybe I'm just a lousy cleaner?!?!?!?

• atomant
    atomant

l prefer electric oven for my pavlovas and mouth watering roasts and gas for cook top.

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks, Coco - I got it! Appreciate all your info.

You are right about Jenn-air electric. Have one of those grill things at end of cooktop/counter at another residence and it's labor intensive to clean. Grilling steaks, salmon, etc., tastes great grilled on it but just not worth it! I pretend it's broken!

• just fine
    just fine

I had one of those Jenn air ranges with the grill - pain in the ass to clean. Never again on one of those. The last glass top range I had was pretty easy to clean as long as you used the cleaner made for it.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Ever heard the expression "now you're cooking with gas"? The very existence of that expression says it all. Electric is definitely safer from the standpoint of a fire hazard or gas leak, but it lacks the level of heat control that you get with gas.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Gas. Modern stoves are safe, no pilot light, some even have safety valves so accidentally leaving the gas open shuts it down and all the advantages of gas (light it with a lighter when the power goes out, decent broiler in the oven).

Especially in older houses and for many DIY installs electric can be more dangerous than gas, a bad gas install is immediately noticed. You can get ranges these days with both or get a separate hot plate/electric griddle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit