The Watchtower—Study Edition | December 2023 ...Are you marriage material?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

According to the Elders, I'm evil, Son of the Devil. And All I did was ask questions! Questions lead to more questions. Especially when their don't want to be challenged.

• carla
    carla

Years ago when my jw first joined up with the cult he tried the 'head of the house' routine on me too. I simply stated that anything about a man being head of the house and being able to correct his wife was originally meant for Christians and seeing as I don't consider jw's 'Christian' it doesn't apply to him and never will.

I apply "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" -Life Rules, chapter -All People are Equal 23:3

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

The husband ''corrects'' his wife just like a dog owner ''corrects'' his new puppy.

Many years ago a newly moved in to the congregation that I was in elder came to make a "shepherding" call on me. Scheduled for 7:00 P.M. He and another elder showed up finally about 7:30 P.M. and as we had never met he introduced himself with he words, " My name is ______ ________. I'm sorry we are late, but when I got home from work I found my wife had bought a new cook-book without my permission so I had to take time to chastise her." That was the way he treated everyone in the congregation.

I hated that sorry S.O.B. from then on!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

That makes me think of the movie The Shining:

Delbert Grady (a ghost): Your son has a very great talent. I don't think you are aware how great it is. He is attempting to use that very talent against your will.

Jack Torrance: He is a very willful boy.

Delbert Grady : Indeed he is, Mr. Torrance. A very willful boy. A rather naughty boy, if I may be so bold, sir.

Jack Torrance : It's his mother. She, uh, interferes.

Delbert Grady : Perhaps they need a good talking to, if you don't mind my saying so. Perhaps a bit more. My girls, sir, they didn't care for the Overlook at first. One of them actually stole a pack of matches, and tried to burn it down. But I "corrected" them sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I "corrected" her.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FEDUP JW:

I wouldn’t stay married to that controlling SOB. So I definitely would not have been marriage material in the JW religion.🤣 A guy like that would probably be controlling no matter what religion it was.

TONUS OH:

That was some spooky movie! I can still hear ‘Grady’ saying those things to ‘Torrance’ and trilling those ‘r’s. When he said ‘corrected’ he actually killed his family! 😮 And the poor ‘Jack Torrance’ character got possessed by that guy’s spirit.

• forzaitalia
    forzaitalia

I should say separations and divorce happen because there is enough stress paying bills and in the workplace without spiritual targets also controlling couples. No time left to breathe, really, nevermind romance and fun.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I remember that Jack Torrance does get his chance to "redeem" himself,,,when Delbert Grady expresses his doubts about Jacks ""heart" not being in it. This was when Jack was stuffed in the storage by Wendy after she clubbed Jack on the head.

I cant remember the exact dialog. Grady did have doubts about Jacks intentions though.

One of the greatest movies ever!

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

FedUpJW: "Scheduled for 7:00 P.M. He and another elder showed up finally about 7:30 P.M. and as we had never met he introduced himself with he words, " My name is ______ ________. I'm sorry we are late, but when I got home from work I found my wife had bought a new cook-book without my permission so I had to take time to chastise her."

What a dick! Especially when you consider that she probably bought that cookbook to be a better housewife and mother!

• jhine
    jhine

So , even accepting that the man is the spiritual head of a household what does that have to do with buying a cook book ? Rhetorical question because obviously the two things have nothing to do with each other.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Yes, the "headship arrangement" provides a convenient excuse for certain types of people to act like overbearing jerks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit