The Watchtower—Study Edition | December 2023 ...Are you marriage material?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I think Jan might be referring to the picture, and I'll ask the same question: are men expected to keep the Kingdom Hall tidy, or is that the one "privilege" that the sisters get?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

According to that article, I suppose I wasn’t ‘marriage material’ back in the day. Maybe never was.🤣 Not that there were many attractive eligible men in the ‘truth’.. All the good ones were taken.. But, that’s besides the point: I wasn’t raised in the religion, I wasn’t a pioneer and I worked!

Even if I excelled at practical knowledge and managing money, they wouldn’t have considered me ‘theocratic’ enough because I’m too ‘independent’.👍🏻 Please note that I consider these expressions to be hilarious.. When I hear the term ‘Mature Christian’ I want to barf.

Anyway, it was just interesting to look back at the past.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Longhairgal “I hope the ‘skills’ needed to support a wife include a trade and/or well-paying job! He has to be serious about this. They mention ‘employment’ so maybe they are inching closer to reality about this.”

YES they are inching closer to brothers getting good employment. They keep saying if you can’t provide for your family then you are worse than one without faith.

the cost of living crisis means you have to earn more and more just to keep your head above water.

years ago education was frowned upon, these days they are only frowning on really advanced education that takes years, but shorter degrees or higher qualifications seem to be encouraged at least inching that way

• jhine
    jhine

NotFormer, yes that was what l meant . I thought that women were privileged to make the tea and sandwiches and clean up after the men

I know that JW men don't like women having opinions. I once chatted to an elder who was out doing door knocking. I quoted some Scripture and asked some questions . I will never forget how he looked down on me ( literally, I'm not tall ) and in attitude saying brusquely " you have a lot to say for yourself young lady " as if that was awful .

It really shook me , l hadn't been rude to him and was used to talking to men as equals .

This gave me a good insight into gender roles in the Org.

Jan from Tam

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Oh, in terms of cleaning up the Kingdom Hall? I think everyone took part in that, where I was attending. I don't think there was any sort of official stance on it, so it was likely left up to the locality.

• jhine
    jhine

Thanks TonusOH. Although it does surprise me that men do get stuck in . My encounter with the elder may have given me a skewed idea of JW gender attitudes.

Jan from Tam

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    jhine
    This gave me a good insight into gender roles in the Org.

I noticed in this Watchtower article ( written by the mIsogynist Watchtower Society) on how husbands use headship over their wives. The article uses the word ''correction.'' The husband ''corrects'' his wife just like a dog owner ''corrects'' his new puppy. Here is one definition of the word, CORRECTION:

noun

a rebuke for making a mistake

The Watchtower—Study Edition | February 15, 2007

Husbands—Recognize Christ’s Headship

18 Jesus had just stated the divine will​—namely, that he would suffer many things and be killed. (Psalm 16:10; Isaiah 53:12) So Peter was wrong to begin rebuking Jesus. Yes, Peter needed firm correction, as we all do at times. As the family head, the husband has the authority and responsibility to correct family members, including his wife. While firmness may be needed, this correction should be given in a kind, loving manner. So just as Jesus helped Peter to put matters in proper perspective, husbands at times may need to do the same for their wives. For example, a husband may need to point out in a kind manner why some adjustment is needed if her dress or use of jewelry or cosmetics begins to stray from the modest pattern recommended in the Scriptures.​—1 Peter 3:3-5.

• jhine
    jhine

Wow .

Jan from Tam

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I have a well paying Job. Partner in a business and own a couple more. I manage my money well. I spend on quality and investments and don't waste time on unprofitable things. And yet, I am considered a bad spiritual husband.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

You are considered a bad spiritual husband because you are not meeting the Borgs high standards of what they consider to be.

Im sure you are a fine husband and great person,,,despite of what the Borg portrays.

They like to paint everyone with the same brush..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit