Logical Fallacy… can I get some help here?

by DATA-DOG 154 Replies latest social current

• TD
    TD

I don't think it's a very good analogy, but it doesn't become a logical fallacy in the formal sense until someone uses the alleged similarity to justify additional conclusions.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Anti Vaxers like DD don't seem to care enough about people .

Social restrictions were ineffective to him, even though the evidence is clear to the contrary..

So DD you didn't answer my question if your a practicing JWS who we all know hate those worldly governments. ?????

I guess it comes down to how much social empathy and compassion to others you have.

If your biased toward not having any social restrictions or vaccinations then your probably going to support that ideology.

Some have even said vaccinations are pointless and redundant.

As it is most counties have followed along the line of social restrictions until most of their population is vaccinated and then removing those restrictions .

I guess all those countries were wrong in their intent and direction .

I can only surmise that if DD had to spend a month in a hospital with a oxygen tube up his nose he might have a different opinion on the matter.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I'm focusing, not on the particulars of the illustration you mentioned, but the general logical fallacy.

This is logically fallacious. I have given a significant amount of thought to this particular fallacy and don't know whether it has been named. I started thinking about it back when I was a JW and encountered people in the ministry who would use illustrations to try to prove the Trinity doctrine. I was once working with my long-time JW grandfather in the door-to-door work. He encountered a man who told him that the trinity is like an egg.... there are three parts - white, yolk, and shell - but they make up one egg.

My grandfather was frustrated, and later he asked me "How can I counter that?" After thinking about it, I realized that illustrations don't prove anything; they simply can help people to understand a point one's making whether that point is true or not. The answer my grandfather could have given to the man is "No, it's not like that."

Here is an example of an illustration that's wrong: Many of us might remember being taught in school that electrons orbit the nuclei of atoms like planets orbit the sun. We might remember images like this:

Electrons orbit nucleus « KaiserScience

The problem is, though, that it's simply not true. The illustration is completely wrong. Electrons are not little particles that orbit around in paths as shown in the image. They do not behave that way at all. They are not in any way like planets that behave largely according to classical mechanics. They don't even follow certain paths. They obey quantum mechanics. One can only speak of the probably of finding an electron in a certain place at a given time, and the probability clouds look nothing like the orbitals shown above.

So, the fact that one can produce an illustration to try to prove a point in no way proves that point. The fact that one can say that electrons orbit nuclei as planets orbit the sun proves nothing.

One could simply and easily and logically correctly refute her by saying "No, they're not like drunk drivers."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Is it appropriate to have a healthcare system that utterly fails to address prevention which leads to reacting to crises instead of responding? Is it appropriate for an extra 20 million ( UN estimate ) people in Africa to die as a result of unnecessary lockdowns that stopped supply chains for food? How do you feel about that? Do you know what another lockdown will do to disadvantaged people in 3rd world countries?

I don’t have to be smarter than any government official, although the bar is low these days, I just need to quote someone who is. I’m certainly smarter that Trudeau.

It’s been proven over and over that prevention and early treatment work. You either don’t care, or haven’t seen the information due to censorship. The rampant censorship and money trail should be a GIANT red flag for anyone with common sense. Repurposed drugs have also been extremely successful and saved lives, yet because of greed and politics they have been suppressed and discussions have been censored. It that appropriate?

People die every day for some reason. It could be the flu, Covid-19, Congestive heart failure, ect. People dying doesn’t justify lockdowns and censorship and coercing medical treatments or mandating them, and it certainly doesn’t justify the banning of discussions involving proven experts in the fields of Virology, Micro-biology and Pathology, ect.

There are plenty of experts who aren’t “anti-vaxxers” who recognize that nothing has been handled appropriately from the start of this whole mess. Or, they have been handled exactly the way you would expect if the ultimate goal was money and more power.

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

“Anti Vaxers like DD don't seem to care enough about people.”

That’s just inaccurate. I think you know it.

DD

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

You either don’t care, or haven’t seen the information due to censorship

Yes there is so much censorship around the world, why even China instituted social restrictions and then introduced a public vaccine and they are the epitome of censorship.

Yes DD all government health officials around the world are at fault and blame, who claimed they were perfect in all matters anyways, did they ?

Let it be said though that there were mistakes made in the intent of curbing infections in certain countries which had terrible results.

This pandemic virus problem was a new experience for many including many in the medical community, their efforts by them and government health officials were not in vain although they were certainly painful and annoying for everyone.

So DD are you a practicing JWS ?

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

Since last year Ive been taking all the vitamins recommended when you get covid just to build up immune system along with vitamin d3 and sunshine outdoors. Lost 25 lbs and near target weight for my age (an old man) Taken 2 shots and now go to gym at least 1 time a week and walk the dogs every day. Not much I can do about the world situation, but I can do as much as I can for myself and oh yea stop listening to zoom meetings.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Definition of surmise

(Entry 1 of 2)

: a thought or idea based on scanty evidence…

Well, you certainly did surmise something..

DD 🤔

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

"Dr" is rapidly losing meaning.

Bill Cosby is a Dr.-----in Education---he knows everything----Let's ask him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOu_MsjKp6s

• TD
    TD

An analogy is a rhetorical device, not an exercise in logic.

For example, saying that "Electricity flows through wires like water flows through a pipe" is not correct in the technical sense, but it is not a logical fallacy. It's just a bad analogy.

A logical fallacy occurs only if that comparison is used as proof of a conclusion as in, ".. therefore you shouldn't abruptly shut off an electrical connection because you could burst the wire."

This is a logical fallacy. It's called Faulty Analogy and/or Reasoning through analogy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit