Before You Actually Stopped Meetings, How Many HATED Being There?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong
    I had a hard time staying awake.

I always had a hard time staying Awake! during the Watchtower.

(Ok I could hear all the groans at that very bad joke)

• JH
    JH

Honestly, I always hated to spend 2+ hours sitting down without moving.

I MOVE ALOT.

I considered meetings like a sacrifice I had to do in order to please God. I never liked having 5 meetings a week + 2 or 3 times in the field service a week. That seemed so unreasonable.

1 meeting a week of 2 hours + 2 or 3 times in the field service a month would have been ok with me. Not more that that.

I especially hated to be dressed in a suit and tie. I hated that, HATE HATE HATE.

The moment I got home, I didn't waste 1 second and took the whole thing off, and back into my everyday cloths.

My parents who never were JW's found it weird that I became a JW. They said, "that's not you". You are just the opposite of what they are. Don't get me wrong now, I am a good guy.

I never liked being different from others, and being a DUB, you are different in every way.

• gumby
    gumby

I don't think there was one person who wasn't happy if the speaker didn't show for the talk and it was a short meeting. I doubt many enjoy meetings.

I personally am with Francois......they were as boring when I left as all the previous ones.

Gumby

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Why do you think hubby took his laptop to meetings with goodies downloaded on it!

And I took CoC under a bible cover so that I had good reading material and could ignore what was going on!

j2bf

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Cheers to you, joy2bfree! How on earth did you slip your reading material past the nosy elders? Would've loved to take a laptop but surely would have been censured for that.

Our meetings were dull and boring with no respite and no opportunity to sneak off to a video game arcade. The KH was in a residential area with nothing to escape to. No windows to look out of either.

I'm so glad to be outta that!

• berylblue
    berylblue

I always hated them, even when I believed everything I heard. Or half heard.

Rosemarie

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

When the weather was lousy, attending meetings was still a pain, but, when the weather was fine and you couldn't wish for a better day, it was totally unbearable to gaze out of the window and realise what a waste of time it was being at the KH. Towards the end of my 'sentence', I would arrive at the meeting for the song, and then go walking until it was time to return for the final song. By that time it was fairly evident to all that my 'devotion' had waned. And yet, not a word from the elders. I think by that time they were looking forward to my eventual 'final exit'.

cheeses - who now enjoys everyday away from KH confinement.

• minimus
    minimus

Nothing was worst than having to go to the meetings on a holiday weekend. Or having a convention! It can be like serving time, Cheeses. I remember going to Yankee Stadium when I was a kid. There was no air conditioning, of course, and people would just faint from the heat. I think they were 12 hr. sessions in those days. Now, I can't take 1 hour.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I guess I was fortunate enough to stop attending in my early 20's. Before that I was just going with the flow. And I only went because I was married, and we both knew that it was expected.

Had I been single, and having moved from my original area, I would have stopped long before.

Yes, the meetings sucked, and I learned nothing new from one to the next. There were so many better things that I could do with my time.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I was at the point where I felt like I was going to go crazy if I ever had to go back. That's when I left. Yes, the hatred for me was complete.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit