Before You Actually Stopped Meetings, How Many HATED Being There?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When I listen to ANYTHING at the meetings, it is with a critical eye. I really can't stand going, especially today. Did you feel that the meetings were grating and extremely irritating, just before you stopped going altogether?

• basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

I did.

• Francois
    Francois

No, I didn't think the meetings had grown any more irritating than usual. I think what irritated me most was that I knew it was my own fault that I was there, in the spirit of "one foot in, one foot out" and I hated it, I hated myself for it. And that's one of the things that will get me motivated faster than damn near anything: my ass is in a sling and I did it. Can't tolerate that.

francois

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I would make faces at the kids, people watch you name it

• KGB
    KGB

I had a hard time staying awake. The meeting are so what you might say repetitive. Every meeting exactly like the last one, theres no fire or excitement in there discussions. Drab and boring. But then most all witnesses are drab and boring people because they are not allowed to experience excitement in there lives. Im not talking about worldly excitement but a spiritual one. Down with the dubs.....

• berten
    berten

I was soo bored with them that I sneaked away during the meetings to go play

videogames in a local arcade,and sneak back just in time for the closing song & prayer...

• aojumper
    aojumper

I, like Francois, am very angry that I let them dictate to me when and how my time should be spent, when I became of age. That I sat there, listening to the bull****, wanting to scream if I heard one more Dogmatic, JW concocted phrase come from the stage.

K

• avishai
    avishai

I did!!!!

• rocketman
    rocketman

Basically, from day one, which for me was about35-40 years ago (I can recollect being there when I was quite young) I found them boring. I'd sleep through the talks, and the WT study was murder.

When I was older and started reaching out, I found that handling some responsibilties kept the level of boredom down a bit, since I was at least doing something besides sitting there.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I always, even when I believed the religion lock, stock and barrell, thought that the meetings were usually drab, poorly prepared and a virtual waste of my time. The only times I enjoyed them was when I had a chance to participate or hear someone that could actually hold my interest (which, I speculate, was about 10% of the total time spent at meetings).

Now, when I started to have "hard-core" doubts about the faith, I literally got sick when I wen't to meetings. Tuesdays and Thursdays were depressing for the sole reason that I had to attend a meeting that night. Sunday meetings were also a drag. Basically, all I did was critique what was being said in my mind. I also got more personal Bible reading done there than anywhere else!

When I got home I needed a martini. Towards the end, I had one before and after. That made them tolerable.

Bradley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit