What Really Happened (Back Then) With The False Teaching Of 1975 Among Jehovah's Witnesses?

by 1975JWExpert 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

1975 was just swept under the rug.

Hoping the $heeples(victims) would forget about it.

Then the Borg would turn around and pin the blame on the followers for putting too much "stock" in it.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

We had a CO back in the early 1970s who held up a stop watch every time he visited the congregation. He would use it to count off the months, days, hours, and minutes until 1975. Anyone remember Jim Durell?

Anyway even though I was an elder back then, I was skeptical of all the Watchtower's hype for 1975. In fact after the Congregation Book Study one night back in 73 or 74, I told the group that the greatest test for JWs would be "75" coming and going with nothing happening. Got a few dirty looks for that comment.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"He would use it to count off the months, days, hours, and minutes until 1975."

The start or the end of 1975?

"I told the group that the greatest test for JWs would be "75" coming and going with nothing happening."

That was a pretty wise approach. 👍👌

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Like at any local Kingdom Hall, in 1976, and 1977 at Brooklyn Bethel even bringing up the subject and pointing out the obvious would get you labeled as a "BA"- bad attitude or worse...an apostate.

Pointing out the obvious, as any 10-year-old could, has always been thin ice in Watchtower world.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

It’s worth mentioning that the teens went wild in the aftermath, especially getting into 77 and ‘78. Disco was in full swing.

• Samcats
    Samcats

Mann377

Will you tell us more about your experience, opinions of gb, etc?

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Athanasius,

These days, it seems that every man and his dog never fell for the 1975 hype. Back in the day, though, I recall Fanny Adams of the JWs expressing any doubts about it. To have done so would have got you branded “immature” (which was one of the more serious swear words in the JW world).

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I knew of one family who pulled their children out of school in anticipation of the end. They ended up losing a year.

I still do not understand the rationale behind that, as there didn't seem to be anything to gain. I don't recall that they spent their extra time preaching or anything. They probably just stayed home. But they were also young enough that they would not have had access to technical classes that might have helped them build new homes in paradise. Or bury billions of bodies.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

It is quite sad to see attempts to reframe what happened leading up to 1975. Redaction will only work when all those who were eye-witnesses have passed away and can no longer dispute the false narrative that WTC apologists are attempting to fabricate.

I was there and there was certainly direction coming from Fred Franz and traveling overseers that 1975 would be the end of the system. I personally knew JW's who left in 1976 due to failed expectations. They could not be reasoned with BECAUSE as they said, "the society was wrong about 1975 so what else are they wrong about?".

• 1975JWExpert
    1975JWExpert
    Jehovah's Witnesses Are A Cult . . . Pure & Simple!

The wickedness we see prevalent today among the Jehovah’s Witnesses, in an overall sense, can no doubt be largely attributed to the leadership of the organization, the Watchtower Society and it's Governing Body . . . the so-called "Faithful & Discreet Slave" Class. Therefore, rather than completely destroy the entire nation of Jehovah’s Witnesses as most would normally expect, Jehovah The Almighty chooses instead as an option, to “discipline” the nation or people, to bring a “remnant” to their senses. -- 1 Kings 8:46-50

However, bible prophecy indicates that the Watchtower Society and leaders thereof, plus those who stubbornly support the organization to the end, will receive a very special punishment – utter and complete, everlasting destruction! -- (See Rev. 18:4; Also Volume II.)

We must realize that Jehovah God could easily exercise his Almighty power to destroy the entire nation of Jehovah’s Witnesses from the face of the earth with one swipe of His Mighty Hand according to Malachi 4:5, 6. Nevertheless instead, in His mercy and “loyalty” to His promises, His Name, and His covenant with them [Apostate Israel-Isa. 10:6], He chooses to exercise certain provisions within this covenant-contract with the nation, much like the ones Solomon spoke of as found at 1 Kings 8:46-50.

End of quote.

(These words were written down and copyrighted some 30 years ago and put into a book called "The Report".)

For more information on the above topic, please click this link: Jehovah's Witnesses Are A Cult . . . Pure & Simple!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit