What Really Happened (Back Then) With The False Teaching Of 1975 Among Jehovah's Witnesses?

by 1975JWExpert 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Here's what happened; I rememeber very clearly. Starting around 1970 when I was 7 years old. I used to count how many years I had left to straighten up and be good so that I wouldn't be killed in 1975 at age 12 at Armageddon. It scared the hell out of me.

When I turned 13 in 1976 and found that I was remarkable still alive, I questioned the whole false prediction with my family and everyone acted like nothing had happened.

Talk about gas lighting.

Looking back, I don't think I ever recovered from that because I never considered my mom or dad or older brothers as anything other than drones after that. The 1975 false flag didn't seem to bother them in the least.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

You must be a year older than me, Seabreeze. In 1976 I was 12 and had just started High School (school system is a bit different here). I met a kid who was a JW. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would have grilled the crap out of him regarding 1975. It wasn't until many years later that I discovered the massive faux pas that was the WT's take on 1975. See the above post linking to my post about "the baby that would never be born" for my first encounter with someone who could verify the whole 1975 hysteria.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@NotFormer

If you were nevera a JW, why are you interested in XJW issues? Just askin.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

To know more about current JWs. I was quite conversant with things WT two decades ago. I stumbled in here after some JWs appeared out of the blue, after some long years of absence. I was rather shocked that they had been ordered by Bethel to halt the door to door work during Covid. I came here to see if there were any other significant changes I had missed over the years. Just in time to see a few unfold before my very eyes.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I was still too young to remember 1975.

But when I ask "people",, they tell me that the "brothers" put too much stock in in 1975. Like maxing out debt,,buying homes & stuff which they could never afford. Even quitting their jobs & other over the top things.

Shifting the blame from the Borg,,back on to the victims.

Typical.

• 1975JWExpert
    1975JWExpert
    Hi Littleleslie,

The thing I was thinking was, how did they come to have two schools of thought if it is Jehovah that is leading them. It shows right there that they don't have any "spirit direction" from Jehovah.
    Precisely!

If the rank and file JW could finally see, there was War/Upheaval going on at Bethel Headquarters (among the Governing Body) which started in 1975 (failed prediction) up till 1980 (when RV Franz was removed), then they would know how greatly divided their GB leaders were. It was like, in 1975 and the failed prediction staring them in the face, they became acutely divided into a "Trump Maga GOP" Crowd vs. a "Biden-Harris Democrat" Crowd, with Knorr & F. Franz representing the latter group. They became the "old guard", the establishment, who had to be ousted. The old guys, Knorr & F. Franz, who had ruled the JW Organization unopposed since the early 1940s.

In the Spring of 1980, everything came to a head. RV Franz got booted from the GB.

The events that happened at Bethel Headquarters, between those years of 1975-1980 absolutely proves there was no "spirit-directed organization" in existence among Jehovah's Witnesses. They were greatly divided. They were fighting between themselves. The GB was at war.

And it all got started with that failed prediction of 1975.

Thus we can see, the Governing Body is a highly political organization in itself. Its politics, at its best.

Which is why Raymond V. Franz said openly many times, since 1980, the GB (including Knorr & F. Franz) don't even consider the bible as a guide at all, in making their "holy" decisions. They never have. This is public knowledge on YouTube for all to see. (JWs don't have to have his books for that.)

Hence we have these ridiculous assertions or "GB Updates" surfacing, about wearing a beard or not, and sisters being permitted to wear slacks or not, and counting field service time or just check a box, and on and on. None of this stuff is scriptural. This is obvious.)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BETH SARIM:

I had read that the rank & file JWs were encouraged do some of the things you mentioned- like quitting jobs, etc.

Since I came in shortly after 1975 (and even though nobody mentioned this fiasco to me) I later wondered if the hateful attitudes I received because I worked was left-over from them telling people to quit jobs because the End was coming(?) Whatever the reason, I’m glad I never listened!

1975JWEXPERT:

Interesting that R. Franz said the GB (back then) “did not consider the Bible as a guide at all when making their decisions”…

Imagine that.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

LHG,,

You never listened?

Good on you!!! Trusting your own intuition!!

Awesome.

• 1975JWExpert
    1975JWExpert
    Is The Governing Body Arrangement A Scriptural One?

A GOVERNING BODY???

At Matthew 24:45-47 we read the following, using the New World Translation:

"Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so. Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all his belongings".

The Watch Tower Society has long taught for many years that the “Faithful Slave” of Matthew 24:45-47 represents the anointed remnant as a composite group upon earth. At this writing, they (anointed remnant) numbering slightly more than 21,000 (as of 2022) earth-wide. This viewpoint was held among Jehovah's Witnesses up to the year of 2013. After that, in 2013, Jehovah's Witnesses were instructed that actually the Governing Body and the "Faithful Slave were one and the same entity. The new viewpoint would advance the idea the "Faithful Slave" would be comprised only, those members of the chosen Governing Body, and those individuals who have unique access and privileges of controlling and disseminating the Watchtower Society's written publications. This is the new definition of the "Faithful and discreet Slave" of Matthew 24:45-47, as of the year of 2013.

However, we cannot help but notice and remember, that the small membership who supposedly made up the “anointed remnant,” for all of those years prior to 2013, did not ever make any decisions for the JW Organization or give any direction at all. No, in fact, the JW Organization back then, was still controlled by a small group of “professed” anointed Christians known as the “Governing Body,” since January 1st, 1976. (Before then, it was controlled by the Corporate President of the Watchtower Society.) Since 1976, it was claimed that the Governing Body arrangement itself, (fully empowered in December 4th, 1975 and where it was divided up into six committees of authority in January of 1976), was an arrangement that more fully harmonizes with so-called Governing Body arrangements among 1st century Christians. But, is that really the case? Let us make an examination of this matter.

AN EXAMINATION OF THE MATTER OF WHETHER THE GOVERNING BODY EXISTED IN THE FIRST CENTURY

It is true that Jesus appointed twelve apostles who had equal authority among his disciples. Later, other apostles were appointed or recognized as such namely Paul, Barnabas, and James the half-brother of Jesus. (See Insight on the Scriptures, Vol. 1. Pg. 1, 252, par. 3; Acts 14:14; Galatians 1:19; 2:9.) However, the scriptures clearly teach that the “apostles” had authority over the congregation and NOT a so-called “Governing Body” arrangement. In fact, the expression ‘Governing Body’ is nowhere to be found anywhere in the Bible. We remember, Jesus appointed an ‘apostolic’ arrangement and not a ‘Governing Body’ arrangement. This thought is confirmed when we examine 1 Corinthians 12:28. Notice the order of authority established in the congregation.

“And God has set the respective ones in the congregation, FIRST, apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; then powerful works; then gifts of healings; helpful services, abilities to direct, different tongues. Not all are apostles, are they? Not all are prophets, are they? Not all are teachers, are they? Not all perform powerful works, do they?”

Also, Ephesians 4:11-16 where it states in part:

“And he gave some as APOSTLES, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers, with a view to the readjustment of the holy ones, for ministerial work, for the building up of the body of the Christ…”

Yes, in both instances, the “apostles” are listed FIRST in order and rank as far as congregational authority is concerned. An apostle could establish congregational procedures and methods. (1 Corinthians 4:17; 7:12) Individually, apostles could issue commands and orders to traveling overseers and congregational members to better expedite important matters. (Acts 17:14, 15; 1 Corinthians 16:1; Titus 1:5) AN apostle could even confer the authority to ‘command’ upon other responsible individuals. (1 Timothy 1:3; Titus 2:15) An apostle singularly, could even expel unruly individuals from the congregation! --- Compare 1 Corinthians 5:5 with 1 Timothy 1:20.

Most Bible students will agree that the “apostles” really had authority in the initial stages of the forming of the congregation, but what about later? For example, around 49 CE when the issue of circumcision surfaced, isn’t it true that the Bible says Paul and Barnabas traveled to the apostles AND older men in Jerusalem regarding this dispute? This is a very interesting question. Let us examine it scripturally.

Article truncated.

(For continued information on this topic, please see this link: http://www.jehovahstruth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47 )

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

1975JWExpert:

I followed your link to that discussion board. It links to something called the YORWW Congregation. https://www.yorww.com/specialmessage.htm :

"The name “YORWW” means "Yah Our Righteousness World Wide" taken from Jeremiah 33:16. This small group originally called TWMC [Two Witnesses Must Come] began back in the Spring of 1991 with sixteen (16) FORMER Jehovah’s Witnesses as founding members, who believed Jehovah's Witnesses were modern-day "Israel" of bible prophecy, ever since their taking the Divine Name upon themselves in the year of 1931. However, it was believed Jehovah’s Witnesses were soon to lose that privilege of carrying God’s Great Name, just as the Jewish nation did back in Jesus' day when God REPLACED THEM with 1st Century Christians because of GREAT WICKEDNESS practiced. In fact, Jesus told the religious leaders of his day, the "Kingdom of God" would be "TAKEN AWAY" from them and given to ANOTHER "NATION," first century Christians. Likewise today, because of great wickedness being practiced, Jehovah’s Witnesses will be replaced by the nation of JAMAICA (first represented by 144,000 Jamaican Teachers of God's Word) who would obediently bear the righteous "fruit" Jehovah seeks. -- See Isaiah 43:18-21; Isaiah 44:3-5; Isaiah 55:13; Matthew 21:43; John 4:23; Acts 15:14, 17."

Seriously, the 144,000 are Jamaican?? 😱🤔 Yours is a newly minted account; are you trying to proselytise here?

Others in this thread have wondered what it is you're pushing here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit