Came out as apostate to my "friends" today

by cappytan 59 Replies latest members private

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I was thinking about the way that people reacted to you Cappy. It wasn't just a rumor as to how things were being handled with talk of a judicial committee or your disassocating through the letter, that stuff is what all of those people want. They cannot stand the thought that you might not get in "trouble" over even something like what you said originally. You must be punished. They want you punished. I saw it in my own family when I just saw my DF'ed brother one single time. They were mad at me and wanted me punished. Not helped, as they would see it, but punished. They revel in it. No wonder they can't wait to see billions destroyed at Armageddon. It makes them feel superior. See, they didn't falter. They were good and you can't be good too because you're not like them so you need to be dealt with and punished to prove the difference. They need it to prop up their JW ego.

Ugh, I'm so sorry about that stuff. I think it is nice how the actual elders reacted to you, so long as it stays that way, but I'll be curious to see how everyone else treats you. In our case we were shunned instantly and the bastards ran around warning everyone about us. Funny that nobody cared to help, but man did they want us punished. So I wonder if your family and former friends will come around and talk to you as per usual, or if they'll just keep shunning you. Again, in our case there was shunning and no real steps laid out to regain anyone's favor. It makes them feel better about themselves to look down on others. Keep us updated on how things go. I hope they go better for you than for us and others, though actually it helped push us to just DA and end it all and that has proven to be freeing and the best decision for us. I hope it ends up the best way possible for you and your family, however that happens to be.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hi Anders Andersen:

Thanks, but I really am FREE being as I am a fifteen year "fader". What I was referring to are the couple of JW friends I still see once in a while. They know I have issues with the religion about attitudes towards women.

But, they don't know that I know the REAL dirt about the religion. They couldn't deal with that. They both take meds and I'm not about to send somebody over the edge by pulling the rug out from under them about their religion. The Truth About The "Truth" is not for everybody, in my opinion. I include the very elderly in this category as well.

Personally, I'm not on a mission to pull anybody out of the religion who is seemingly content unless it was a younger relative of mine...Then, I would feel morally obligated to tell about my bad experience.

It would be a different story if another person opened up to me about "doubts". Then I would give them a few tid-bits.

Quite frankly, I'm just grateful that I AM out of this religion!!

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Cappy,

Congratulations on breaking away completely free.

I don't know how many of your "supposed" friends cut you off without even allowing for an explanation. It just goes to show how deeply indoctrinated these people are and yet they don't even stop to ask why. Here you spend years with these people sharing laughs, movies, dinners, special moments, etc. and yet they drop your friendship in a matter of seconds. Definitely not worth having as friends. These former friends can reason and justify their actions by believing they are remaining on God's side by shunning yet you have not committed any sins except to refuse their Organization. Therein lies the problem.

The Organization's hold on a member's mind is incredibly powerful. But exactly how does the Organization manage to attain this hold? How can they make a rational person suddenly and without hesitation or so much as a second thought, forget that a person exists?

The Organization manages to attain this by continually bombarding the member and using propaganda techniques, neurolinguistic programming language, and fallacious arguments. But this isn't the only way the Organization manages the complete domination over the member's mind. A rational person would immediately have called you Cappy and asked you if everything was okay and if there was anything they could do for you, etc. and asking you why the sudden decision. That's being rational in a normal friendly relationship. But the hold on the member's mind does not even allow them this much. The text you received from your friend was probably due to him exhibiting some form of normalcy in human relations. A normalcy that transcends the typical JW indoctrinated mind but something that is completely normal for 99% of the world. Or perhaps you shared some memorable moments or were more close to him. Whatever the case may be, he felt the need to reach out even if one last time.

The fact is that although many members today will internally acknowledge that the Organization has had a number of failed prophecies, they won't contemplate those thoughts further. The won't venture into this cognitive dissonance territory as it is much too painful and extremely disturbing. So how exactly does the Organization manage this False Prophet situation?

Read any article, kingdom ministry, tract, magazine, book, etc. meant for internal distribution and review. The second option is to listen to a talk and you'll find the reason. The Organization is quick to deny divine guidance or even being a spokesperson for Jehovah but yet they bombard and overwhelm members with this connection at every chance. Basically they admit it without saying it. All information originating with the Organization comes from Jehovah. Listen to the way the brethren talk and you'll likely hear the following:

"Thanks to Jehovah"

"Coming from Jehovah"

"Jehovah gave"

"Jehovah provided"

"Jehovah was listening"

"I felt Jehovah's hand"

"Jehovah allowed"

"Jehovah permitted"

"We thank Jehovah for that nutritious spiritual food" etc.

In the member's mind they know Jehovah is not magically writing instructions on an iPad being held by a Governing Body member. So the only other divine option is that Jehovah is communicating with the members by Holy Spirit. So in effect, EVERYTHING from the songs to the talks, comes directly from Jehovah. The Organization is Jehovah and Jehovah is the Organization. Hence the name, Jehovah's Witnesses (Rutherford was a brilliant marketing genius). In a member's mind, the bridge linking Jehovah and the Organization has been forged in steel and cognitive dissonance is their safety apparatus. In the member's mind, they identify Jehovah Witnesses with Jehovah with the Governing Body which equals divinity. Simply speaking, you cannot go against God and win (survive Armageddon, divine approval, etc.)

Take care Cappy and *yes, definitely keep your chin up and move on with true friendships and true worship if you choose.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Cappy

As a non jw, I will never live the experience of having conditional friends shun me just for choosing a different religion or no religion at all. I still struggle with the idea that the JW's that I know, my family and many close friends, would act as they did in your case. It's unconscionable, and yet I read about it time and time again.

Is my JW family and my friends the only ones who would not be as cruel and mindless, or have I become completely deluded for believing that my family and friends could be the exception?

Anyways, welcome to freedom, to reality, to life according to your own design.

Humanity recovered two valuable assets when you wrote that letter.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Is my JW family and my friends the only ones who would not be as cruel and mindless, or have I become completely deluded for believing that my family and friends could be the exception?

You are in a unique position. Why not ask them what they would do if one of their friends decided to leave the organization? I'd be interested to see if they answer honestly or if they act like it wouldn't be a big deal.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Wow...dubstepped, you have described our situation to a tee. We have had a close family member that wants to see us punished, as you posted above. It is disturbing. We were well aware of what this person was up to so we gave this person NOTHING. She/he was fuming mad. Pretty funny to watch but, as I mentioned, disturbing at the same time.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well written Tenacious!

Great comments indeed!! Spot on!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Congratulations Cappytan and congrats to your wife.

Excellent letter.

I remember your post about panic attacks at work as you wrestled with the mental and emotional challengers you had to deal with learning TTATT. That was just a year ago.

You sound stronger and in control. You must have a great wife to make that journey with you. Sorry she had to hear that stuff from her parents.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

This is all too familiar. Although most are genuine as to serving God they fall short in allowing the publication that's studied on Sunday's to overshadow God's word itself.

I know I've done the same for many many years.

Currently pondering exposing what I now know to be truth as well. Such a difficult deal. I don't wish it on anyone. The organization has become a juggernaut where even those in charge have bought into their own rhetoric. As such I wouldn't say the de facto emotion is anger but rather disbelief. Perhaps even embarrassment that you were so duped into believing things that are not strongly supported by scripture but at best could be categorized as a guess.

Sadly some of these "guesses" require strict adherence and a failure to do so gets you shown the door. Best to focus on leading a valued life, while helping others who are accepting of the help.

For each person it's different though and as such no one should judge another for how they handle exiting this dangerous set of rules and regulation that are posed as coming directly from God. Deal with it best you can while mitigating the damage you yourself and your family and that is about all you can do.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    Thanks stuckinarut2.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit