Oh the humanities...my wicked neighbor!

by username 14 Replies latest social humour

• username
    username

I am beside myself. What should I do? I have been given a piece of birthday cake as it was his birthday yesterday! Will I be a human hot dog now?....

....Said my old self!

This just got me thinking of all the stupidities of the watchtower teachings, someone very kindly offers you something as innocent as a slice of chocolate cake but we were supposed to turn it down because that peace of chocolate cake now had horns poking out the top of the chocolate frosting. Not to mention said neighbor now avoiding you like you have just contracted leprosy...Oh, but it gave a good witness and maybe the neighbor would now be so impressed that he would want to learn all things watchtower, and before you know it, not only is your neighbor "one of" Jehovah's witnesses but his whole family were so impressed by your refusal of this good deed they decided to study to!

• Divergent
    Divergent
    The bible NEVER says that celebrating birthdays is wrong. Once again, JW's have shown gross disrespect for the bible by choosing to follow absurd man-made laws which go far beyond what is written (1 Cor 4: 6)
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow...I simply can't associate with you anymore 'username'!

You wicked person....

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    For this one, it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. I have to confess that there have been many Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Halloween, cakes that I have devoured.in my lifetime. Hmmm now I'm scared, I'm shaken. I'm terrified
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

Such BS.

Through work, I saw today a 6-year-old girl, and her 5-year-old brother who were so excited, because they were going to a friend's birthday party today.

Pure, unadulterated joy and expectation in their little faces.

Priceless.

• WireRider
    WireRider

"Special days" and celebration are not evil. I can't decide weather to use the analogy of "forcing people to wear blinders" or "a 100 year whack-a-mole game". Just make WT/JW from mixing with real people. Beat them down - don't allow anything that may wake them up. Same with going to any Christian Church. Control, control, control. No outside truth. No outside truth. Make them feel guilty. Punish, punish.

The way I understand there were two notable figures in the Bible that were beheaded on their birthdays. Must be bad.

It was explained to me by a witness that no one should be raised up over others, even if is only one day. Then I look around and see the hypocritical hierarchy were ever one of them is proclaimed to be always above others.

My born-in-JW friend told me that her Mother always made her feel special and secretly do things for her Birthday. That's were the train left the tracks for me. God would know that she celebrates her birthday secretly every year with her JW mother. So the truth is she does it in secret so "humans will not find out and punish them". That's just wrong. Even "God" didn't tell them, and I thought God and the GB were on a first name basis. Why do they have to spy on people and terrorize people into submission? Why let a big hierarchical structure of humans terrorize people to just hold the "sales force" "and volunteer free workers" together?

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

I think the true purpose the WTS, doesnt want people to be celebrating Birthdays, and holidays, is so they are not spending money on these occasions. Yes there is also the thought of not wanting them to enjoy things and be distracted, so they can continue to control the R&F, but the main reason comes down to MONEY.

Lets face it, if the members are not spending on Christmas, and Halloween, and Birthdays, and Easter baskets, and all the commercial aspects of these holidays, then its more money for the contribution box. Dont give it to your innocent children give it to us "chosen", old men in NY. We deserve it more, and thats what God wants.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think the root of JWs birthday teaching is strictly pure meanness.not even greed, just that Rutherford was a killjoy and a jerk. Like jihadists can justify their hateful agenda. Like men justify racism, slavery and sexism.mean people will find justifications for evil.

• Simon
    Simon
    Through work, I saw today a 6-year-old girl, and her 5-year-old brother who were so excited, because they were going to a friend's birthday party today.
    Pure, unadulterated joy and expectation in their little faces.

It;s insane that anyone can turn such innocent joy into "an evil thing" all because of some made up BS story by a nomad 2k years ago.

I think the root of JWs birthday teaching is strictly pure meanness.not even greed

The video on cult indoctrination someone posted the other day covered this. It ends up making follwers believe more by treating them badly and denying them things.

• WireRider
    WireRider

Perhaps in part. But I do think it is more about total control. It alienates kids from their friends. They feel ostracized. Of course it is planed that way for kids.

My family gathers often to celebrate holidays and each other. We stopped about twenty years ago with the whole merry-go-round of the gift giving thing. No money really. No gifts required. Big meals and we socialize. Of course we all gotta eat - so that's a breakeven cost - or even less expensive in a group. Most religions do not require gatherings to be approved/sanctioned by a Church.

My daughter is now 18. For the last many years, her birthday wish is to spend it with extended family - everyone. My family doesn't even know what shunning is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit