Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• committeechairman
    committeechairman

Oubliette - you're busted! "Let's review: It's a cult!" automatically posts with every one of your posts, right?

:)

CC

• titch
    titch

To begin with, I'll admit that I HAVE NOT read through ALL 21 pages of responses to this thread. However, if you look up the word "cult" in a dictionary---any good, reputable dictionary---the definition of the word "cult' is,basically---a religion. Just that---a religion. It doesn't use any modifying verbs, such as a "bogus" religion, a "phony" religion. Just a religion. Period. That's all. And, if you look at the word further, it says that it comes from the original Latin word "cultus", which means, "to till". That's right, to till, like using an implement of some kind to till the soil. (In other words, "improving" the soil, to get it ready for planting crops in it.) And from the word "cultus" you get the word "cultivate" and "culture". I remember, back in elementary school, when we had to write reports on different countries, we had to describe the country's "customs and cultures". (In other words, its refinements and improvements) So, if you look at the basic meaning of the word "cult", you can say that ANY religion is a cult. Now, am I defending the belief system, the belief structure of the Witnesses? No, not at all. I'm just saying, Look up the word in a dictionary. It is STILL a high-control religion. Very much so. Now, I don't know if anyone else touched upon that, but, as I mentioned, I have not read through all the pages of the thread's responses. Just my thoughts, Folks.. Best Regards, all!

Titch

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Richard C B9 hours agoThanks to everyone youve actually convinced me that its NOT a cult, @ secret,, sorry dude you wound me up making fun of me, i was out of line.
    Take care guys, thanks again.

Convinced 'not a cult'?

Confirmation bias will do that. If you don't want it to be a cult it won't be...and vicky verky.

I hope RCB hasn't hit and run, that would be a shame. He/she sounds quite young and probably indoctrinated by the watchtower mind control to believe they are easily defended.

I think a bit of research will convince RCB that the WBT$ is not a good place to be.

RCB - What did you make of the Australian Royal Commission and Geoff Jackson?

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

Some in depth background information into the origin, original and current usage of the word cult might be useful here..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

What is a Cult?

The Cult Information Centre (CIC) defines a cult as a group having all of the following five characteristics:

1. It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members
    2. It forms an elitist totalitarian society.
    3. Its founder leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma.
    4. It believes the end justifies the means in order to solicit funds and recruit people.
    5. Its wealth does not benefit its members or society.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

GodZoo - There are some better quoes from the WBT$ but I don't have them available to me....

What is a Cult?

The Cult Information Centre (CIC) defines a cult as a group having all of the following five characteristics:

1. It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members

*** w07 1/15 p. 19 However, if you yourself are to remain steadfast in serving Jehovah and are to avoid becoming a victim of Satan, you must do more.

2. It forms an elitist totalitarian society.

*** w86 4/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

Why have Jehovah’s Witnesses disfellowshipped (excommunicated) for apostasy some who still profess belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ?

....Approved association with Jehovah’s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses. What do such beliefs include?

... Following such Scriptural patterns, if a Christian (who claims belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus) unrepentantly promotes false teachings, it may be necessary for him to be expelled from the congregation."

3. Its founder leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma.

-- w10 9/15 p. 13 par. 8: "Similarly today, a Governing Body composed of spirit-anointed Christians contributes to the unity of the worldwide congregation. The Governing Body publishes spiritually encouraging literature in many languages. This spiritual food is based on God’s Word. Thus, what is taught is not from men but from Jehovah.—Isa. 54:13."

4. It believes the end justifies the means in order to solicit funds and recruit people.

WT 15 Nov 2013 - "At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. (4) Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking. The elders must stand ready to help any who may now be wavering in their faith."

5. Its wealth does not benefit its members or society.

Well, they’re not admitting much about that but Sofia not buying an ice-cream comes to mind.

• GodZoo
    GodZoo
    Yup Punkofnice.. they qualify completely. Thanks for the quotes.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai
    My hats off to Richard for helping us to clarify, quantify and understand what a cult is. We have seen a classic textbook case of cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias from our friend Richard who didn't want to look at the facts that we kindly put before him on a silver platter. People like Richard deserve to be in a cult. They have to learn the hard way. Sometimes you can't convince someone that the fire is hot. They have to touch it and be blistered by it in order to understand. Oh well, at least other lurkers can benefit from the "resonings" (sic) on this thread.
  • Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The new meeting arrangement at the Kingdom Hall

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

er...dictionary

definition of a cult:

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object. eg
    "the cult of St Olaf" or ahem.."the cult of the fds" proof of which is seen by the fact you will not be disfellowshiped if you express doubts around the exsistence of God but you will be disfellowshiped if you say the faithfull and discreet slave is not Gods representative on earth. That to me is worship of the GB/fds.

Most religons/Christians would say that a cult is anything that denies the basic tenets of a faith/ Christianity. For Christianity this would include the JW's as they deny the deity of Christ & preach that salvation is obtained not by faith alone (ergo by Christs sacrificial death)but by works.

I personally also think the 2 tier system of the saved (fds & great crowd) is also antithecal to Christianity.
    A cult has undue influence over its members forcing otherwise rational people take decisions they would not normally make. By the standard and my own definition the wbts is a cult.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

His comment that we have somehow proven it is not a cult to him is a simple demonstration of this cult mind protection mechanism:

An awesome video was posted here Richard and everyone should watch.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/505320002/explaining-cult-mentality

This may be one of the deepest and most critical things for an honest version of Richard to grasp. As a Jehovah's Witness you have been conditioned to put critics into a no-win position. Until something cracks this and gets inside, no proof, no rational, nothing will matter, the Cult will be right regardless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit