Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cappytan
    cappytan

Poor kid. I was him once.

Hey Richie: not all on here are disfellowshipped. I am the son of an elder, served at Patterson bethel for a time. I am not disfellowshipped or disassociated. I have simply stopped going to the meetings. The only way I could keep family talking to us is by moving more than 1,000 miles away and pretending to be a JW when they call.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Richard C B :- 4. Can you identify the true religion?

Which religion bases all its teachings on God’s Word, honors God’s name, and proclaims God’s Kingdom as mankind’s only hope? Which group practices love and shuns war? What do you think?

this is telling... cults always think they are special.

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, Miz. Give us summa dat shizzle. xx

Bazinga! :D

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    You know what, let him knock himself out with this religion. Go ahead Richard, get baptized. But here's a warning: you will need to learn some self control. Because if you can't curb your language even when upset, you probably aren't going to have much self control in general life, and you too could lose everyone you know who is in the cult, who will be happy to judge you at the drop of a pin, because it makes themselves feel better about themselves, when everyone feels they have to MERIT their salvation based on their particular interpretation of the scriptures and the fluctuating whims of a group of men, and puritanical pointing of fingers is what they thrive on. Knock yourself out.
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B
    hey i was debating you made a judgement and tryd to make fun of me. Thats very helpfull of you isnt it? Im out of here dude. Ill let you take over the discusion.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Richard C B2 minutes agohey i was debating you made a judgement and tryd to make fun of me. Thats very helpfull of you isnt it? Im out of here dude. Ill let you take over the discussion.

You'll learn sooner or later kid, whether a JW or not, you'll recognize bullshitters. I recommend you look in the mirror now and get acquainted.
  • cofty
    cofty
    hey i was debating...

No you were preaching and ignoring every fact that you found inconvenient.

Instead of arguing with people who know better than you why not research the big world of ideas that are only a click away.

Have a browse on Youtube for educational science videos. Search for theological debates, history of religion, evolution etc. Check out Bart Ehrman, Sam Harris, Michael Shermer, Christopher Hitchens and follow the links.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Godspeed, Richard. I wish you only the best things in life...including freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But especially, freedom.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The basic definition of cult is simply a religion with its rites.

"a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cult

However, people tend to think of a small crazy group in a commune. Due to this range of perceived definitions, the word cult has lost its usefulness. For that reason, the term used now in such discussions is whether a group uses "undue influence." That way the discussion can focus on the way the group operates, and the affect on the followers, rather than the collapse into a debate on doctrine.

Watchtower complies with a lot of the practices that are considered undue influence, in particular not being able to question the leaders, and shunning.

Jehovah's Witnesses vary greatly in how strictly they follow the rules and internalize the doctrine. For many that just hang in there for social reasons, it does not hold much influence in their life. For those in Bethel, it is very much like being in a small cult commune. Once they move to Warwick, that will become even more evident. When I was in Sydney Bethel, which is in a country setting an hour from the CBD I felt like I was trapped in a cult commune, and found it oppressive and depressing.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I smelled WTBTS troll on page #1. Nothing but justification and CogDis on page #2. I didn't even have to read anymore after that.

The nice thing about Trolls is that they come here thinking that they will be the ONE to win over the minds of "unbelievers." They simply aid those waking up from the F.O.G of religious charlatans. Thanks, TROLLS!!! 🍺

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit