Daughter counselled on dating a wordly guy

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

My daughter recieved this email from one of her Witness "friends". She is counseling my daughter (indirectly) about her choice to date a "worldly" guy.

Hey, So, we had a talk recently that was about Love & Respect in Your Marriage. The brother brought out that this was more for us Witnesses rather than worldly people, because it seems that even in the truth now marriage has lost it's correct place. He went on to say that even single people don't want to wait for a good Christian brother or sister...that they're dating and marrying worldly people... And that made me think of some news that I heard recently . See, it turns out that someone I thought was one of my closest friends, despite the fact that we don't see each other that much anymore , has been dating a worldly guy for quite some time now. And this isn't the kind of case where you'd say, maybe she just didn't know better...because she does. She certainly does, because if she thought it was something OK then she would've told me about it. But the fact that she knew not to tell me, shows that she knows just how wrong it is. She knows that I wouldn't, or couldn't, just shut my mouth about it . S ee, she had dated this brother for a while, but things didn't turn out the way she hoped. And then it seemed that all of her friends were getting married, when she had hoped that she would be too. And I know that's a really hard thing to deal with. But that's absolutely no excuse to go and date a worldly guy. What also may have led to this was that she used to be a pioneer, hanging out with other pioneers and strong Witnesses. Then she stopped pioneering and started working, which, isn't necessarily wrong. Some people aren't cut out to be pioneer s . But they can still be a good Witness. But see, she started hanging out with some Witnesses who weren't very strong . And soon, her strong Witness friends stopped seeing her. And when they did see her, she just wasn ' t the old friend they remembered. S o, what do you think I should do? Do I tell her that I can ' t really be her friend, knowing that she's been lying to me for so long? Or because she's been doing things with her life that aren't fitting for a Christian? Or do I stick around, trying to be there for her like I have been, hoping that she'll smarten up and do the right thing? I just don't know what to do because it seems that over the years I've lost a lot of friends to this type of thing. And I try my best to help them and it doesn't seem to work. And then I kick myself thinking "what else should I have done?" But you know what? All of my friends are grown ups, most raised in the truth, baptized because they chose to devote their lives to Jehovah. So although I can be there to try and help them with problems, ultimately, they're the ones who have to make the decisions, whether right or wrong. I just have to sit here, hoping they'll make the right one and stick around so we can be friends forever. And if they've sometimes made the wrong one, then I can still hope that at some point they'll realize what a mistake that decision was and fix it. So, if you want to, let me know your thoughts on this...

• kelpie
    kelpie

God I hate emotional blackmail.

I went through all that with my friends and family when I started dating a worldly guy... now I am so glad I did because he is the best thing for me.

Tell your daughter to please follow her heart and her mind.. do what is best for her... "worldly" men are 10 times better the brainwashed dub men

• SixofNine
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

If you want my comments you'll have to come clean them off my floor, keyboard, screen, desk, clothes, and shoes.

• free will
    free will

well, do you think the boy she is dating is good for her? if so, let her witness "friend" do whatever she feels she has to. if you don't like him, let your daughter know that and the reasons why. i understand, as i'm sure you do, why the friend is putting pressure on your daughter. bad association and all that. but, it has been my experience that there are bad people in the truth too. i married a non witness. and during the jw years - sure - we had disagreements, but, he was and still is a good man. so, have your daughter choose the best person for her. if she wants to be a true blue witness, and wants to be accepted by her peers. she should probably look for a jw.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Daddy????????

kidding, actually this letter sounds almost identical to some of the ones I received. I say tell you daughter to have lots and lots of sex with the worldly guy. I mean NO, sorry I had a temporary lapse in judgement

• myself
    myself

It sounds like your daughter's so called friend is more interested in playing judge, then acting as a friend. She even admitted that she has walked away from many that she thought was close to because she didn't approve of them (more conditional love). She is giving ultimatums and can't understand why she can't keep friends? Drop the "friend", and see how the boyfriend works out.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Two words:

CONDITIONAL FRIENDS.

How sad. We all would be better off with friends that don't judge us like that.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Dear friend,

I have this dilemma, too, you see. I want to help this Muslim girl at school who just started attending some extracurricular activities. She always wears that scarf on her head, and barely makes eye contact with the boys. Her parents are very strict, and they are worried that she will be corrupted by the looser morals of American society. They barely let her out of their sight, and if her grades slip, bam! Curfew time.

Well, lately, as soon as she gets away from home she lets loose a little. She is really very funny. Who could tell under that scarf that she had a sense of humour? I am surprised how much she knows about the shows on television. Don’t get me wrong. She is a very nice, sweet girl. She doesn’t swear, and she obeys her parents to the letter.

Anyways, her cousin is giving her a really hard time. Like, her cousin is threatening to tell on her parents for little things, like eating ice-cream or showing off her ankles. I want to tell that cousin to mind her own darn business. How do you think I should tell her without being offensive?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wow, meow meo. Let's give her a saucer of milk. That is the second bitchiest note I've ever read.

First reaction is what a coward this person is. She has to talk to your daughter only in second person, as if she wasn't there. Second reaction is with friends like this, you're better off with Bin Laden. Yeesh!!!

See, it turns out that someone I thought was one of my closest friends, despite the fact that we don't see each other that much anymore , has been dating a worldly guy for quite some time now.

Okay, so your daughter is one of her "closest" friends but they don't see each other that much anymore. Why? Is your daughter contagious or something?

Do I tell her that I can ' t really be her friend, knowing that she's been lying to me for so long? Or because she's been doing things with her life that aren't fitting for a Christian? Or do I stick around, trying to be there for her like I have been, hoping that she'll smarten up and do the right thing?

This is what's known as a double bind; in other words damned if you do and damned if you don't. Since when does your daughter have to ask this little princess for permission? And how exactly is she going to "be there" for your daugher? Be there with what? A machete? Urgh.

If I were your daughter I would do two things. One I would use the paper that this email is printed on for bathroom purposes only. Secondly, I would respond to this little princess and tell her to Foxtrot Oscar.

Okay. All better now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit