No Bible = No God?

by menrov 113 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Perry - I want to go to jolly 'ole England next time.

It rains a lot here. Always wet. If you ever make it to Cambridgeshire, I'll show you around.

the thing about Hawking (who I saw coming out of Marks & Spencer in Cambridge), and anyone that has stuff to say is that I admit they're more intelligent than I am. However, I have to see things on my own terms at my low level. So, I don't really look to any man as an authority as such (not explaining this well). I rely on what makes sense to me and I'm willing to consider other views.

If it turns out tomorrow that god has revealed him/her/itself to everyone (not just voices in my head), then I'll admit I was wrong. I'll reserve the right to ask why god didn't make it obvious though,

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

All the talk of god creating time and lofty (albeit nonsensical) notions, but really all it comes down to is the baby Jesus, it's quite sad really, for grown adults to buy into such obvious baloney

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@perry,

The LDS church has written documents containing eye witness testimony to Joseph Smith's claims. The names of these eye witnesses are even recorded!

These eye witnesses saw an angel and the golden plates, and they heard God's voice testify the translation of the golden plates into the book of Mormon was God's work.

In addition, their testimonies were written and signed by them. Compare this to some stories for which 'eye witness reports' were written decades after the fact by people who weren't even eye witnesses themselves and only wrote down hearsay. (Gospels anyone?)

Do you believe the LDS Church / Mormon claims that the Book of Mormon was delivered on golden plates by an angel and translated by the power of God?

• Perry
    Perry

it comes down to is the baby Jesus, it's quite sad really, for grown adults to buy into such obvious baloney

I don't think that it is far fetched for God to appear in his creation. Lots of artists have appeared in their creations.... reminds me a little of Hitchcock. It almost became a challenge to spot him when watching his films:

Jesus' life displayed a very delicate balance on how an authority can hold onto Law while at the same time, extend mercy under a certain type of circumstance. He showed that the heart of God is mercy, patience and love, but also that he is quite capable of justice. He encourages us to seek mercy, rather than justice; especially when dealing with others.

His teachings were profound. Simple statements stopped the most morally arrogant people on the planet (Pharisees) cold in their tracks. Statements like : It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth.

Amazing.

Anders,

I don't think the Mormons have a resurrection account that in anyway mirrors what happened in Israel with Jesus. Scholars, both conservation and non-believers place the events of the resurrection exactly where they are purported to be.

Lots of other people have suffered died for their belief in something, true. But almost no one suffers & dies for something they KNOW to be a lie. This would have been the case in the 1st century.

Here is a quick review of the minimum of what most skeptical scholars believe about the resurrection:

http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/garyhabermas.htm

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Wait a second I've seen Jesus get resurrected in film once so there is proof of his resurrection.
    I never thought about it that way .

• Finkelstein
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

Perry I am not trying to belittle your beliefs, I wish I had faith in life after death.

If the evidence of Jesus Resurrection is far from Hearsay (for me it is the definition of hearsay) why do only 1 out of 7 people Christian? and why our of those 1 of 7 - are only a fraction true believers and not just nominal?

Why is gods story and the promise of life everlasting so unbelievably unconvincing that the whole world doesn't about it out of hand, and with the people who do - you could not get 2 to agree on exactly what they believe.

I believe that Julius Ceaser lived and was the Emperor of Rome - not because of Shakespear, but because there is INCONTROVERTIBLE and ABUNDANT proof of his existence. There is NO proof of Jesus - if there was we would not have this thread.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Pez - Lots of other people have suffered died for their belief in something, true. But almost no one suffers & dies for something they KNOW to be a lie. This would have been the case in the 1st century.

Non sequitur hour begins............................

However, this is how I'd phrase this one -

Lots of other people have suffered died for their belief in something they thought was true....but we all can be mistaken.

But almost no one suffers & dies for something they think they KNOW to be a lie...but we all make mistakes.

This would have been the case in the 1st century if the stories are true...but we all make mistakes.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The ancient Christians/Hebrews created a god that was more appealing than any other god previously in historical mythology within that time, the Savior Messiah, the light that came to take away all the ills, the sorrows and the darkness of the earth and humanity.

Even if this god was drawn out of fictional imagination, I think it helped mankind to be a little compassionate and empathetic to the human condition, in reflection that this god instructed mankind as his greatest commandment to love one another.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

Perry believes in fairy tales

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit