No Bible = No God?

by menrov 113 Replies latest watchtower bible

• venus
    venus

Everyone knows what action of others makes them happy or unhappy which means everyone knows how to act towards others, which means there is no need for Scriptures--a fact God knows--hence did not authorize writing of any scriptures in the world.

If we take the other option that God would use scriptures, there there is greater problem: We have an ocean of scriptures with all their interpretations. Among them, which is the right one? If Bible is chosen after sufficient debates, there is still problem. Among the 66 books that make the Bible, which one is true as most of them contradict each other? So are the case with verses. In one place it would say: "You are dust; unto dust you would return" which is flatly contradicted in other parts (Ecclesiastes 3:5; 12:7). Question about God is even worse--over 2000 years of debate among Christians have not yet finalized who is the God of the Bible!

• Perry
    Perry

No bible = no god? I don't think so.

Every indigenous culture ever studied believed in a Creator or a First Cause, regardless of whether or not the bible was available to them or not.

All things based in the dimension we characterize as "time", have a beginning (Cause and Effect) . It is impossible otherwise.

In Genesis, the very first paragraph has God bringing into existence time, space, and matter simultaneously.

"In the beginning (time) God created the heavens (space) and the earth (matter). - Gen 1:1

Makes sense, but I didn't need to bible to tell me that.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I will believe in a god and their/her/it/his holy book(optional), when they/him/her/it make it demonstrable and totally obvious that they/it/him/her actually do exist.

I'm sick of all this foolish nonsense about 'I have evidence in my head' or 'you just can't feel the vibes'. Oh, give me a break. Let's be rational. (See my pet peeve thread https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5460108927565824/pet-peeve ).

• venus
    venus

Perry,

Scriptures often do disservice to God. For example, Isaac’s wife, Rebekka, was barren. Hence he prayed to God. Rebekka became pregnant. Twins in her womb began jostling each other. When Rebekka inquired of God: “The Lord said to her, "Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the younger."” (Genesis 25:21-23) Writers bring dishonor to God projecting Him as the originator of slavery. Jesus is also depicted as glorifying slavery (Mathew 24:45)

God is projected as initiating suffering in the case of Job. (Job 1:8-12)

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

People believed in gods long before the Bible was every written. I suspect that whether the Bible came into circulation or not, this would still be the case.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone
    All things based in the dimension we characterize as "time", have a beginning (Cause and Effect) . It is impossible otherwise.

Then something must have caused god, it's impossible otherwise, right?

Don't forsake your own logic

• Perry
    Perry

Fred,

Not if God created time.

• cofty
    cofty

This is typical of the intellectual dishonesty of some xtians who resort to arguing for a vague concept of a first cause when what they actually mean is the god who will burn you in hell if you doubt his existence.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hi Perry. Long time no hear. I hope you are well.

God and all that religious stuff - the problem with it all is proving it in a demonstrable way.

No one ever has. apart from wishful thinking, there is absolutely no evidence available.

(See my pet peeve thread https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5460108927565824/pet-peeve ).

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone
    Not if God created time.

What a nonsensical idea. Creation is an action that requires time in which to occur. I.e. It's an act that occurs within time. For god to commit the cause-effect act of creating time, he would need to exist within a time dimension of his own. It's like saying glass was invented by a window, it's meaningless and in your case useless as it's also totally unscriptural. The idea of something existing outside of time is square-shaped circle-level meaningless. Existence requires time

So again, what caused god? There's no sane way of ducking that question, not that sanity has much involvement in Christian apologetics mind you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit