Evolution is a Fact #1 - Protein Functional Redundancy

by cofty 291 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    That is your opinion Cofty and your certainly entitled - Makeme

Opinions are of absolutely no value in a conversation about evolution.

The ONLY thing that matters is facts and evidence and 100% of that is on the side of evolution.

I am a rational, intelligent and wealthy person

If you want to discuss the evidence - as opposed to boasting about your wealth - I am happy to do so.

• Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever

The debate has raged for 1000's years. I doubt a conversation on a semi-religious board is miraculously going to solve life's finite beginning.

PS:Opinions rage in science just like religion. There are tons of science debate sites/forums and they cant agree on any more than this board. I know it seems like the world revolves around you Cofty but it doesn't.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogeny. It makes it hard to except evidence.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley
    @ crofty/ enjoyed your opening post... keep them coming. Evidence leads to truth.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Ancient mythological expressions is simple hearsay most drawn out of human ignorance

Evolution is based upon physical evidence and dating of that evidence to create a formative time table of biological evolution.

• The principle of natural selection was discovered by Charles Darwin (1809-1882), and it is the process by which organisms become adapted to their environments. Selection occurs when some individual organisms have genes that encode physical or behavioral features that allow them to better harvest resources, avoid predators, and such relative to other individuals that do not carry the same genes. The individuals that have these useful features will tend to leave more offspring than other individuals, so the responsible genes will become more common over time, leading the population as a whole to become better adapted.

Distinct species diverge from one ancestor and can no longer interbreed.
    • The process that many people find most confusing about evolution is speciation, which is not a separate mechanism at all, but rather a consequence of the preceding mechanisms played out in time and space. Speciation occurs when a population changes sufficiently over time that it becomes convenient to refer to the early and late forms by different names. Speciation also occurs when one population splits into two distinct forms that can no longer interbreed. Reproductive isolation does not generally happen in one generation; it may require many thousands of generations when, for example, one part of a population becomes geographically separated from the rest and adapts to a new environment. Given time, it is inevitable that two populations that live apart will diverge by mutation, drift, and selection until eventually their genes are no longer compatible for successful reproduction.
  • Clambake
    Clambake

If your interest was really science related, you wouldn't be here. Why does every message board on the internet that is theology based seem to have want to be evolutionary biologists.

You know no one on this board is in no position to either argue or disagree with what you posted. We are ex witness and varies people hurt by the watchtower.

Go away. You are spam.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Opinions rage in science just like religion. There are tons of science debate sites/forums and they cant agree on any more than this board. I know it seems like the world revolves around you Cofty but it doesn't.

Opinions rage about some things. About the basic facts of evolution there is no controversy among scientists, only among people who are determined to believe in something other than evolution. Really, it's not even close, even a basic book on evolution would convince anyone who has a greater than room temperature IQ and the willingness to accept truth when they find it.

If you want to believe that God created everything a few thousand years ago, that is your right, but don't try to pretend it is based on facts or science, or that there are any legitimate scientists that support these fantasies. Evolution has been proven beyond all doubt, over and over again. The fossil record, DNA research and multiple other evidence confirm the basic facts. New discoveries verify it every day.

People keep criticizing Cofty for stating that evolution is fact, but not one has ever offered anything approaching proof for their beliefs, not even close, not once in the years I have been reading this forum. instead they offer tired, silly arguments put forth by people who don't know what they are talking about, arguments that have been soundly disproved by legitimate scientists.

This does has a place in a board for former JWs. As Jehovah's Witnesses we we sold a lie by the Watchtower. They used silly, disproved arguments, deception, partial quotes and misquotes to create the illusion that science doesn't agree about evolution. If you figured out that they were lying about everything else, why would you not question their lies about evolution? Why would you not question everything you were taught by the Watchtower?

• scary21
    scary21

Thank you so much for this post cofty. I love learning new things. Just more evidence for evolution

You explained it very well.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I'm not sure what is so controversial about this topic or post. How many time does it need to be stated that Evolution has nothing to do with creation or the beginning/origin of life. Everything in Cofty's opening post is basic biology you will learn at either the high school level or an introductory biology course in college with the exception of the topic Cytochrome C protein molecule. That topic would probably be discussed in General Biology I at least in America as it is a protein found in Mitochondria and I remember it being covered briefly.

Cofty has every right to post this topic as you have every right not to click on it and comment. I can only assume the attacks are made because a logical scientific dispute is too difficult. Here is an attempt, and will note it's not my original thoughts, paraphrased from my poor recall of journal articles i've read, whether my logic is faulty at least it was a attempt vs an ad hominem attack :

In a Evolutionary progression you would expect to see a gradual change and transitional change in structures and differences between species. Such is the argument made and used as proof for evolution with transitional fossils. The same would be expected with Cytochrome C protein. However as has been noted by microbiologist Dr. Micheal Denton the difference between cytochrome C protein in bacteria was more similar to fish than mammal. The opposite should be true to support a transitional change. He further states that there is no transitional or immediate groups, something that should be there to support evolution.

I didn't really make a strong argument but point is one could make one.

I believe Dr. Denton is pretty much an outlier and dismissed by his peers

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/denton.html

• shadow
    shadow

Good examples of classic propaganda techniques by the evolutionary faithful here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit