Suzi Mayhem Outdoes John Cleese

by AlanF 122 Replies latest jw friends

• mommy
    mommy

Oh my! I guess you overlooked parts of my post haven't you? You yourself stated that you were on an all night dringing binge, and you were fuzzy the next morning, when you thought of this. This fact alone does not impress me with your intelligence. I essentially overlooked the rest, so I couldn't even tell you what your point was.

As far the rest of my post I said I admired that you did not lie down, you continue to stand up for yourself.(this is a compliment) Why I even commented on this thread, is to ask why you, a person who has shown herself able to take and give slams to others are so upset over this thread? So then I proceeded to look up Mayhem on dictionary.com. Again this definition does not fit a person who would be whining over a little thread like this that was a joke anyway.

Therefore I made a comment, and observation of you. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers...I did not think it was so easy to do.
    wendy

• ros
    ros

Hi, Alan:
    Thanks. Most of the stuff was way over my right-brain head, but I think I understand an important point about the equation that I have always misunderstood. I took "speed of light" to mean mass traveling at a speed the square of light-speed is energy. What you are saying is that mass is not traveling that speed; rather, the speed of light is just the numerical value that is squared. Makes a big difference. Thanks.

Ros

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well, one thing is for sure, none of the participants in this argument are working solely on principle, as evidenced by our silence when poor Mr. Vallejo’s copyrights where being so viciously infringed on this very db.

Rf, you said,

Stupider, even though granted, is a word, just sounds... well...STUPID.

Why didn’t you just say so, lol. You said, “ Btw, there's no such word as "stupider". Better go look it up in your english manual.”. I can’t think of a more stupid way to express the idea that something “sounds stupid”.

You also said:

You DON'T know what you're talking about.

Hehe, uhmm, yeah, I do. Unlike some people involved in this discussion, I don’t take a position of authority on things that I don’t have good knowledge of. That’s why I don’t take a position of authority very often, liq. I think it is safe to wager that I have more understanding of this subject than anyone else on this board, right up to and including DaveM.

I don't agree. Criticism in this sense is meant as "Critiqueing the work itself" and that is not what the work was being used for.

Ok, I’ll bite; how would you characterize the way Alan used this picture?

Granted, very few judges, if any, would grant damages to Suzy for Alan using her picture in a discussion forum. It all comes down to common sense. But the picture itself, IS PROTECTED by the Copyright law. And that's what Suzy told Alan, and Suzy was right. Now whether she could get a court of law to make it stick IN THIS INSTANCE OF USE, that's another story altogether.

So which is it? If a judge would NOT “protect” it, is it protected from this usage? Saying, “…the picture itself, IS PROTECTED by the Copyright law”, is not really saying…..well, anything really. ALL images are copyrighted at the time of their creation. The question comes down to this particular usage, is it “fair use”? The fair use doctrine exist for situations like this. Otherwise, yeah, it would be very cut and dried, ie., the copyright holder says no, so, no you can’t use the picture for anything. The copyright holder in this case seems to be one Mike Bann. It would be interesting to know if he has a contract with Mrs. Mayhem that goes beyond a simple verbal, “sure, you can put my pics up on your website”.
    You're just basically making fun of Suzy's work here. Low blow, Six. I didn't think her work itself was bad, and she DOES have a copyright on it. I think personally that it should be respected, to a certain extent.

Well…..maybe, a bit. (although it seems to just be Suzie’s face, not her work) But hey, we are in an argument aren’t we? Gotta get a jab in here or there, betwixt all the facts. [J] Actually, I kinda like that pic. It’s pretty, it’s graphic, it has a kind of neat blanco obscuro thing going. Although, I must say that if you’re going to crop it that much, why not go ahead and crop so that it no longer begs the “why is she shocked by her armpit” question that Alan parodied.

Remind me who my clan is again, bluster boy*? And then remind them to send in their clan dues. They are getting WAY behind. I thought you might be the same person, since you posted minutes apart, agreeing with, and patting each other on the back, with a very similar lack of substance. As if the person with the loudest insulting comments wins the argument. And then, if TWO people make similar loud, insulting comments, on the same side of the argument, anyone should see that they win the argument, right? Sure bluster boy, whatever.
    Case in point:
    about as long as it takes to surgically remove a hymen,..

Did you forget that I supported my arguments with facts in that discussion, Bluster Boy? Still hurting that you didn’t know everything (or even very much) about hymens? I really have to recommend that you let it go. This kind of obsession could lead to some very antisocial behavior on your part, if you feel you have to keep on…uhm…exploring this issue.
    you are very wrong, your links will show you that

Curiously, you didn’t post anything from those links to support your statement. I wonder why?
    besides fair use was never issued

Now that’s a seemingly stupid statement in this particular discussion. ‘Splain, lucy.
    You further garbled,
    Comprehension would avoid so much
    it is synonymous to common sense only problem is that common sense is not common. . . .

On it’s own, the above is mostly incomprehensible, but since I know your sentiments, I think I understand. The funny thing to me is, that comprehension is where I excel, and common sense is what you seem to lack. I feel sure that you test well.

Riz, you ign…. Heeehheee.

She's a great gal- and very intelligent.

I’m sure she is, latent hostility aside. But this is a discussion board, and if someones sole purpose is to stroke their boyfriend, and vice versa, they can do that at home. As to, “She was simply sharing an idea she had. This idea opened the floodgates of criticism.” Go take a look at the way that “idea” was introduced to the board. I think you will agree that the presentation invited criticism, especially since it was brought in during an argument in the first place, if memory serves me well.
    I didn't want the crap flung in my direction that comes with defending someone with a different viewpoint that happens all too often here. I'm sorry, Suzi.
    IMO, better to just defend or argue ideas, and let people handle themselves, for the most part. I think that is what got the brunt of criticism, her idea. I’ll agree there have been some noticeable exceptions to this on the board.

Alan,

More generally, a smart person is aware of what he or she does not know. The ignorant are often too ignorant to understand how much they don't know. But they sometimes want to impress others with gobble-de-gook.

Well put.

I will now put on a rain coat for the bluster spiddle I expect will be coming my way as soon as I hit send.

I'ma be a freakin' Papist in a John Paul mask-- The Real Slim Sixy, copyright 2001

• AlanF
    AlanF

Howdy SixOfNine:

:: More generally, a smart person is aware of what he or she does not know. The ignorant are often too ignorant to understand how much they don't know. But they sometimes want to impress others with gobble-de-gook.

: Well put.

DC and a number of other posters illustrate this well. DC, for example, during a discussion that had turned towards mathematics, said something like "i is irrational". He apparently meant to say that "the concept of 'square root of minus one' might seem irrational to someone who knows only about the real number system." Of course, saying that "i is irrational" in the context of a discussion where the participants assume that other participants are not completely ignorant of math is bound to provoke comments on how the statement is wrong -- because taken alone, it certainly is wrong. However, DC is so completely ignorant of math, science, language and human relations that he seems to think that other posters ought to be able to read his mind. Of course, he doesn't give other posters that benefit of the doubt. Such blatant inability to think, and total inattention to detail, has resulted in many stupid discussions on this board and on others going back as far as I can remember in online discussions. Once again it comes from posters who are so ignorant that they don't know enough to know that they have not established a proper context for their specific statements, or that the context that is apparent to everyone but them is inappropriate for their statements. In a word, they're stupid beyond belief.

AlanF

• Suzis Ghost
    Suzis Ghost

Six,

By the way, I'm ignoring your every post from now on, since none of them seem to have ANY relevance AT ALL. I followed your links, and maybe you should read what's on them. They support MY case, even in fair use. The issue is settled. Drop it. Ciao.

Mommy,
    how many times do I have to say it? I brought this thread up again, as a demonstration, to show that jokes are made about EVERYONE. Seems a few were getting upset when jokes were made about them, and subsequently I had my account inactivated because of it. Hmmm...
    Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what Alan really thinks of me or my ideas. I have had enough compliments on my "fuzzy thinking" to be able to ignore such things these days. :)

Alan,

LOL. That's all I'm gonna say about the physics aspect. When you're done giving Six a reach-around, feel free to pick up the conversation again. I admit, it's been a while since I had to talk Physics and math. These days I'm lucky if I can keep my programming languages straight. The only thing I request is that you don't argue with Chuck too long over this issue. You both might miss a few good ideas in all your novella word plays.
    AND... I'm getting a lil upset that you two are spending so much time together.. ;)
    So when you due? How's that hymen doing? LOL
    On a serious note, for your wife, have her start to introduce soy into her diet. This will replace some of the estrogen she's losing and even out her mood, and hopefully lessen the discomfort involved in the changes her body will have to go through. Silk makes a great chocolate flavored soy milk, for starters, and I have a kickass recipe for hot and sour tofu soup if you want it, just to show there's no hard feelings. :)

On one last note: I came in swinging because i had been following the thread for some time regarding the physics aspect. I matched the tone of the posters. That was all. Seems a grrl can't be taken seriously til she smacks a couple of thick-headed arguers and says, 'hey!! stop it!" My post was meant more for amusement than insult. Apparently I just have a funny way of expressing myself that some don't find funny. Live with it. I have to. :)

Oh, by the way, I really didn't mean to sound sarcastic with that last part of the post, I swear.. I really meant what I said. I guess I do come off kinda snotty sometimes, especially when you can't see my face or hear the way I say it. Doh.

Night all.

Suzi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Suzi, before you start actively ignoring me, could you just at least try to make your point? Just this once? It sounds like you have already got this figured out, so all it will take is a quick cut n' paste to look really smart.

They support MY case, even in fair use

Just real quick, would you mind posting a "for example" snippet of how they support your case. You can follow my lead in how to do it if you want. Don't worry, you won't be violating any copyright.

Then, if you make your case, you could say something to the effect of, "the issue is settled. Drop it. Ciao." {use a kind of deep authoritarian voice for that part} w/o sounding like an ignorant bitch who runs from an argument.

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

on the subject of derailment. . .

since you obviously were able to disect and interpret what i was trying to say then you understood what i meant and there really was no need to beat a dead horse, ,

six i'm pointing and laughing. we both told you to follow your own links. the proof is in the pudding,
    comprehension quadroon. ., . . .

DC

• AlanF
    AlanF

To DC:

: since you obviously were able to disect and interpret what i was trying to say then you understood what i meant and there really was no need to beat a dead horse

Ah, but there was, dumdum. Again, you're so completely ignorant that you don't realize that the summary I posted above could come only after a good deal of attempting to decipher what you really meant. A clear thinker understands his audience, and understands that he has to set a context, and that setting a wrong context is diametrically opposed to rational discussion. Obviously, you don't understand any of this. Worse, you're either too stupid or too proud to attempt to understand it and thence, to change. If you were raised as a JW, surely you know that refusal to change in the face of overwhelming evidence against you will work against you in the long run.

AlanF

• wasasister
    wasasister
    On a serious note, for your wife, have her start to introduce soy into her diet. This will replace some of the estrogen she's losing and even out her mood, and hopefully lessen the discomfort involved in the changes her body will have to go through. Silk makes a great chocolate flavored soy milk, for starters, and I have a kickass recipe for hot and sour tofu soup if you want it, just to show there's no hard feelings. :)

I'm a tad confused here. At what point did Alan ask you to help his wife through menopause? Did you receive a consultation call from her OB/GYN? Maybe I missed it with all the back-patting and "I'm a gorgeous intellectual person" going on. Having just talked to Mrs. AF, I find her moods to be just fine, thank-you-very-much.

Unless you're there yourself, Suzie, you'd best keep your advice to strange theories of physics.

Wasasister: I am NOT in a bad mood...I'm NOT!!!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    six i'm pointing and laughing. we both told you to follow your own links. the proof is in the pudding,

Man, if you guys weren't such clowns, you would really have me questioning my own intelligence. I really must have missed something. Oh, no I didn't, this is more of that "TWO people being loud and insulting, but without any substance" style of argumentation, right? If two people, especially a boyfriend/girlfriend couple agree on something pertaining to copyright law, it must be right! Right? Perhaps your criteria for feeling victorious is just getting in the last word?

"c'back here! I'll chew yeer leg off!"

Question: Are you two really so stupid as to think I would post a link w/o knowing what is on it?

If the proof is in the pudding, how about humoring me (and everyone else), and spoon feeding us a little of that pudding. Just a little bit? Enough for us to see that it is really pudding and not bullshit? You sound as if you are very familier with the content of those links, so it shouldn't take too much time away from choosing your outfit color for tommorrow. Here, I'll help you out with that. Black.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit