Suzi Mayhem Outdoes John Cleese

by AlanF 122 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Catabout, what the hell is this?

Btw, there's no such word as "stupider". Better go look it up in your english manual.

Geez, even children raised by wolves know that "stupider" is a word.

stu·pid (stpd, sty-)
    adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
    Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
    Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
    Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
    Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
    Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.
    A stupid or foolish person.

From: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

It is commonly used as "more stupid", Six. Stupider, even though granted, is a word, just sounds... well...STUPID.

Now, to comment on your copyright post:

1) the purpose and character of the use. Seems to be parody, ( http://www.publaw.com/parody.html) with a bit of education and comment and critisism thrown in. Not to mention parody and comment in a discussion forum wherein the pic is linked by the complainer itself. Huge fair use points to Alan.

I don't agree. Criticism in this sense is meant as "Critiqueing the work itself" and that is not what the work was being used for.

Granted, very few judges, if any, would grant damages to Suzy for Alan using her picture in a discussion forum. It all comes down to common sense. But the picture itself, IS PROTECTED by the Copyright law. And that's what Suzy told Alan, and Suzy was right. Now whether she could get a court of law to make it stick IN THIS INSTANCE OF USE, that's another story altogether.

2) The nature of the work. no comment

)the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. Now you see why I was laughing out loud?

I still don't agree with your logic. You're just basically making fun of Suzy's work here. Low blow, Six. I didn't think her work itself was bad, and she DOES have a copyright on it. I think personally that it should be respected, to a certain extent. She WAS polite about it, although granted she is less than polite in her wording of things most of the time.

Let me make this clear: I'm not defending Suzy's usual behavior. I'm defending her right to request that her work not be used without her permission. And even though Alan changed her work (and it was damned funny how he changed it, too!) I agree that he SHOULD have changed it out of respect for her request. And he did so, rather nicely, I think.

RCat

• AlanF
    AlanF

Just a few comments before things get too serious.

Suzi correctly understands that we're just having fun here. Maybe at each other's expense, but we're both thick skinned, just as a lot of other people I enjoy arguing with are. Can't stand the heat, then get out of blah blah blah.

Whether my short use of an altered, and obviously parodied version of Suzi's picture is a copyright infringement or not, I don't know. But since Suzi was clearly bothered by it, I changed it. No sense alienating someone you're having fun with by getting serious, eh?

I'm using threads like these as an excuse to learn Photoshop, which is a really cool program. Gotta sit down with Dave M one of these days.

So Suzi, when can we start on getting me pregnant? I really need some money. Maybe RF can be the midwife and SixofNine can play doctor.

AlanF

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

6o9
    in the words of the great AlanF
    you are not even wrong!!!
    for as much as we mess with him he knows what is up. . .
    Thank you Alan for doing the right thing, does this mean our rivalry is over? F*** no it is too much fun. . . .

6, remember when you and your clan thought that Suzi and I where the same person? you were wrong, see the pics we have posted if you need further evidence
    remember when you thought you knew what you were talking about regarding law? wrong again. . . .

so, go read your links again and follow them to where they take you, pull out a dictionary and do your homework, I will save you some time, about as long as it takes to surgically remove a hymen, you are wrong, do yourself a favor and delete those links before you incur further worldwide embarassment upon yourself. . . .

cause dude you are wrong, just try to understand that you do not know what you are talking about,
    you are very wrong, your links will show you that if you READ oh wait no comprehend and understand that you are fighting with yourself, besides
    fair use was never issued
    again go back and read. . . .why does it always come back to this here???
    Comprehension would avoid so much
    it is synonymous to common sense only problem is that common sense is not common. . . .

geez, why didn't you quit while you could???

RF thank you for your comments

Wendy, for whatever your opinion is worth to you, market value highly disagrees, you like a wigless other have the ability to chime in and spew with needless info, simply our opinion
    try to keep up. . . .

DC

"New Way, What's this about a new way???"---Alex, Clockwork Orange

• AlanF
    AlanF

To Ros:

Larc's comments on Einstein's equation are correct, but I don't think you quite understand them, so let me give it a try.

E = m * c^2

Energy = mass times speed-of-light-squared.

Consider the units on each side of the equation, in the MKS system, which fundamentally involve mass, length and time:

(kg-m^2)/s^2 = kg * (m/s)^2

where kg (kilograms) is the unit of mass, m (meters) is the unit of length, and s (seconds) is the unit of time.

Einstein's equation says nothing about the state of motion of an object. It is a purely static equation that relates "energy" and "mass" by a proportionality constant, i.e., the square of the speed of light. It says that if you have a given quantity of mass, "m", that mass is equivalent in some sense, and proportional, to a certain amount of energy. It also says the converse, that if you have a given quantity of energy, "E", that energy is equivalent in some sense, and proportional, to a certain amount of mass.

While velocity has nothing to do with E=mc^2, it has everthing to do with Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity. The notion that nothing can go faster than the speed of light is bound up in the equations of that theory. For example, the mass of any object m is related to its "rest mass" by the relation, m = m0 * sqrt(1 / (1 - (v/c)^2)), where m is the "actual" mass, m0 is the "rest mass", v is velocity and c is the speed of light. If v=0, then m=m0 which is what we use for everyday velocities. But as v -> c, m -> infinity. Since one cannot make a mass go to infinity without applying infinite energy, the equation implies that no object with mass can travel at the speed of light.

AlanF

• riz
    riz

Why all the hostility towards Suzi? She's a great gal- and very intelligent.

She has the cojones to share her ideas and she gets ripped on. Yet, she takes the criticism and gives it right back. That's commendable in my book. Did you expect her to turn away with her tail between her legs? Was that the reaction you were hoping for?

I read the entrance to the board you made, and have to say I was not at all impressed with your "idea"

Better pack it in, Suzi Seriously, I don't get the vibe from Suzi that she needs the approval of the masses. She was simply sharing an idea she had. This idea opened the floodgates of criticism. I felt sorry for her, but I didn't say anything. Quite honestly, I didn't want the crap flung in my direction that comes with defending someone with a different viewpoint that happens all too often here. I'm sorry, Suzi.

Keep on sharing your ideas, please. I find them refreshing.

riz

• Suzis Ghost
    Suzis Ghost

Riz,
    Yer oh-so-right. And that's all I'm gonna say. I wouldn't want the "masses" mad at me again so that I can show how much I care.

Mommy,
    I've never been very impressed with any of your posts, either. Touche. :) As to the "mayhem" issue, it was my radio name, both in college and commercial radio. The MIstress of Mayhem would show up and it was a guranteed wild time. Although to my knowledge I never "maimed" anyone, be it real life or even on a discussion bored. .. unless yer taking this personally? And as to mayhem and inflicting things, I hear yer real good at a few things.. when you get drunk and go into chat, you're a regular riot, aren't you? I come up with productive reasoning when I'm drunk.

Sick,
    Are you still here??? Geezis onna pogostik. We're all now stupider for being in yer presence.

Alan,
    As per your request, and with full permission from you, I got you knocked up. :) Here's the evidence. I think you'll enjoy being a daddy.... lol

But for the love, don't let Six be the doctor, he'll try to surgically remove your hymen!!!! ROTFLMAO
    (Can I just recommend a C-section? It'll be MUCH easier on you, and you can ask for really good drugs)

RF,

Thanks for being fair. It's a refreshing sight on this board.

Anyone else who may be observing, I'm not a bitch. I'm just vastly misunderstood by the groaning masses. :)

Ciao.

Suzi

• AlanF
    AlanF

To DC:

Still don't know what you don't know, I see.

So that poor Ros doesn't get too confused, I'll try to unwind your confused notions.

: E=MC^2
    : is a conversion formula developed by Einstein in 1905,

That's correct.

: in a nut shell these are the components of the formula. . . . and a very concise
    : history as to its : development. . . .over the course of a few centuries. . . . .

: E
    : Faraday(1800's) found a similarity between magnetic fields and electric currents. . .

Not exactly. What Faraday found was a connection between magnetic and electrical
    phenomena. The most significant thing he found was that an electric current generates a
    thing he called a "magnetic field" and that a moving magnet (presumed to carry along
    with it this "field") could generate an electric current. Faraday formulated a
    quantitative relation between moving charges (electric current) and "magnetic fields".
    Today physicists call this relation "Faraday's law of induction", which states that
    the induced voltage in an electric circuit is proportional to the rate of change of
    "magnetic flux" through the circuit.

Faraday had no idea about deeper connections that were developed by James Maxwell around
    1870, and certainly not about certain similarities between electric and magnetic
    fields. Indeed, it was Einstein in 1905 who first postulated the equations that showed
    that a magnetic field is actually a relativistic electric field, so that "magnetic
    fields" are not real physical fields like electric fields. I.e., while electric charge
    exists in the form of positive and negative particles (electric monopoles), there is no
    such thing as "magnetic charge" (magnetic monopoles).

: and how they cold be converted

Magnetic fields and electric currents are not "converted" in any sense. They simply
    exist. Your fuzzy thinking manifests itself here once again, because you don't specify
    what is being "converted" to what.

: lacking formal education he went against the grain of the school of thought at the time

Not really. Faraday was so far ahead of his time that he was continually breaking new
    ground. There was no "grain of the school of thought" to go against at that time. At
    about the same time that Faraday was developing his ideas in England, Joseph Henry in
    the U.S. was developing similar ideas about induction.

: and proposed circular flow as opposed to simply linear flow of current

This is gobble-de-gook. Obviously, if you wind a wire into a circle, you have "circular
    flow" of electric charge, not linear flow. Besides, current is a flow -- there
    is no such thing as a "flow of current". Current is defined as "flow of electric charge",
    so saying "flow of current" is like saying "flow of flow of charge". Completely
    meaningless, and it betrays ignorance of the field.

: His contribution connected the way the 2 forces

Magnetic fields and electric currents are not "forces".

: were perceived and established a relationship between the 2 which led to the
    : Law of Conservation of Energy

Nonsense. This law was developed independently by a number of people who had nothing
    to do with electromagnetic phenomena. They were working with mechanical phenomena
    and heat and thermodynamics. Julius Mayer first published his ideas on this law in
    Germany around 1842; Hermann von Helmhotlz in Germany in 1853; L. A. Colding in
    Denmark in 1842; James Joule in England in 1843.

: which was taught to Einstein in school and to which he disagreed with . . .

More nonsense. Einstein did not disagree either with the law of conservation of
    energy or the law of conservation of mass, as understood until his seminal papers
    of 1905. He extended and combined them into one law -- the law of conservation of
    mass/energy.

The fact is that your entire exposition above has absolutely nothing to do with
    clarifying Ros's understanding of energy. It seems clear that you've managed to
    pick up a few bits of information and pretty solidly misunderstand what you've
    absorbed.

: M
    : Lavoiser(late 1700's) based on an experiment that involved weighing metal as it
    : collected rust,

Metals don't "collect" rust. Iron simply rusts. It does it when the atoms on
    the surface combine with oxygen and the resulting oxide remains in place.

: he pioneered the way for the advancement of the Law of the Conservation of Mass.

"Advancement"? The proper expression is more like, "establishment on solid
    scientific principles".

: His contribution helped to show that there was an interconnection between physical
    : objects

More fuzzy, meaningless terminology. What is an "interconnection" in the scientific sense?

: and regardless what was done to a substance and how it was disposed of either by burning,
    : crushing etc. it would not disappear, though the object changed physically, somehow the
    : Mass remained the same.

I suppose this childish explanation is not too far off.

: So during the 1800's everyone was taught that Energy was one thing and Mass was another.

Good!

: if you deleted something in either of the 2 realms then something would pop up to replace
    : what was missing. . . .

No. To the limits of experimental error up to the late 19th century, the mass or energy
    would appear in another form. This is very different from "deleting" and "popping up".
    For example, in 1798 Count Rumford presented a paper in which he described how the
    mechanical energy applied to the boring of a cannon barrel seemed to be converted to heat.
    He didn't understand the concepts of "energy" or "heat" the way physicists do today, but
    he certainly saw that something was being converted from one form to another. That
    something is what later investigators called "energy". In such conversion, nothing is
    "deleted".

In the above exposition all you've sort of said is that there is a thing called mass
    that the Law of Conservation of Mass is involved with, and another thing called energy
    that the Law of Conservation of Energy is somehow involved with. Not very helpful with
    Ros's question.

: C
    : this is simply the speed of light 186,000 mps
    : what this means. . .
    : London to LA in .05 of a second
    : why C? as homage to the Latin word Celeritas.
    : During the 1600's science flourished in Italy.
    : Galileo was the first to clearly conceive and experiment with the idea of measuring the
    : speed of light, Cassini and Roemer figured it out correctly though history favors Roemer. . .

So far so good.

: Forward to Faraday. . . late in life he meets a man by the name of Maxwell who in time
    : lfigured out that light "leapfrogged" electricity over magnetic field in a continuous
    : cycle. . .

This is out to lunch. An electric field does not 'leapfrog over' a magnetic field nor
    vice versa. In some way, they seem to regenerate one another. But because the magnetic
    field is actually a relativistic effect due to motion of an electric field, there is not
    actually any regeneration going on. But taking a step back, no one has the faintest idea
    how these fields actually connect with the propagation of light, since light also appears
    to consist of particles called photons. These photons somehow carry a property that is
    mysteriously related to electric and magnetic fields, but how this works physically has
    not yet been discovered.

What you're describing in your fuzzy way are actually two of Maxwell's equations, which
    in differential form and MKS units are:

Curl B = e0 * u0 * d(E)/dt
    Curl E = -d(B)/dt

where E is electric field, B is magnetic field, and e0 and u0 are the permittivities of
    and permeabilities of free space. These equations state that the magnetic field is related
    to the time rate of change of electric field and vice versa. I.e., they are intimately
    tied up with one another and so cannot be described as "leapfrogging" over one another.

The 2nd equation, of course, is Faraday's Law of Induction.

Of course, Maxwell's equations simply describe the overall behavior of electromagnetic
    fields, not the detailed (and as yet unknown) behavior of the photons that actually
    appear to carry electromagnetic radiation.

: because of this effect , light is a physical process that cannot be exceeded,

This is a nonsense statement. What about light cannot be exceeded?

: electricity out of magnetism and then magnetism out of electricity on infinity,

Fuzz, fuzz, fuzz.

: light will shoot away from anything that is trying to catch up with it. . .

More or less.

: Enter Einstein, during the 1890's his professor refused to teach what Maxwell had
    : discovered, though Maxell's contribution was already established and taught as truth
    : . . .Einstein not pleased with his professors approach began cutting class and
    : developing his own theories. . .

Where did you get this information from?

In the above explanation, you've gone off on incorrect tangents about light, and just
    generally muddied the waters of clarity with irrelevant comments.

: will continue on the next window. . . .to finalize the explanation hope this helps
    : so far. . . will be back shortly

I'm sure that Ros was enlightened by this chunk of fuzz.

You should stick to art. Science is obviously not your schtick.

More generally, a smart person is aware of what he or she does not know. The ignorant are often too ignorant to understand how much they don't know. But they sometimes want to impress others with gobble-de-gook.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

LOL, Suzi! You're good with Photoshop.

My wife will get a kick out that, seeing as how she's going through menopause. :-)

AlanF

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Where'd the photo go? Here on the other side of the world, I was asleep when it was posted, now it's gone! :(

Julie in Menopause? Ohhhh boy, are YOU ever in for some fun! lololol
    I haven't quite made it there yet, but I'm sure hubby will probably want to run when I get there. I'm mean enough without it!

RCat

Edited for smiley...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit