'You didn't fire a warning shot soon enough!'

by William Penwell 148 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

This is rich. We're in a war over there and Penwell says that we are going to be responsible for the deaths in Iraq.

Weeeeeeell NO SHIT, Sherlock. I see you have a firm grasp on the obvious. What other stunning insights do you have for us?

And "investigated" on the internet? Now THAT one should get you placed in a nice, padded room for the duration.

francois

• Xander
    Xander
    These people are in a country that is being blown up from the ground-up, and in fear they probably tried to get the hell out of the country. I think it's a real shame.

Quite so - they may well have thought the armed men at the checkpoint were enemy forces trying to stop them from leaving.

The point is, if the US is going to take the supposed moral high-ground, and be a 'liberating' force you CANNOT SHOOT at a target unless you KNOW it is hostile.

Yeah, you will lose a lot of people to terrorist attacks that way. Tough. If you really are a 'liberating army' you will do EVERYTHING YOU CAN to protect the people you are 'liberating', including putting yourself in harms way.

Having a Bradly open fire on a van for not stopping at a checkpoint is not the actions of a 'liberating army'. It's the actions of an 'occupying army', and the Iraqis know that.

BTW: funny from the onion:

New Bomb Capable Of Creating 1,500 New Terrorists In Single Blast

• amac
    amac

ThiChi,

Naturally, any quote taken from an article can be said to be taken out of "context." The comments on this thread have not been to blame the troops or sensationalize them as some crazy murderers. Instead it seems that most people regret that this accident happened and some feel the US holds some responsibility for putting our troops in this situation. Please don't white wash the facts. And if you think this thread is, for the most part, being taken out of context, then please specify which comments.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"The point is, if the US is going to take the supposed moral high-ground, and be a 'liberating' force you CANNOT SHOOT at a target unless you KNOW it is hostile."

What nonsense! This requires stringent counter measures to protect our troops. To take your logic to its conclusion, then we are sitting ducks. Lets see, if a Van runs a check point...what to do? WHat would you do?

These "arm chair" Generals really crack me up. Its stupefying.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    I find it highly unususal that a vehicle loaded with Iraqi's of any gender wouldn't obey signs in their language that said "Warning, you must STOP".

as far as i know from BBC news reports, there were no signs at this check point, no soldiers to wave the vehicle to stop, just 2 APC's/light tanks at a road junction. a BBC reporter who was there at the scene who was an eyewitness to what happened, says that no warning shot was fired, contrary to what the US officer involved claims.

£&*kin' good checkpoint that is.

i'm sure family members of the dead have got that 'liberated' feeling none the less.

it might be a good idea to let some real soldiers(british) who are experienced in these situations to deal with checkpoints, civies etc.

if you dont know what that 'liberated' feeling is, then this is what it looks like...

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/news/page.cfm?objectid=12790727&method=full&siteid=106694

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

PS:

Your shameful use of emotionalism is deplorable! Independent accounts state that not only was a warning shot fired, a volley of rounds were fired into the radiator. The van kept coming....Who knows if this could have been a plot to further discredit the good fight to free Iraq?

Your picture could have been the result of Iraq's Army using this child as a human shield.

AMAC:

I will let the readers decide....!

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    What nonsense! This requires stringent counter measures to protect our troops. To take your logic to its conclusion, then we are sitting ducks. Lets see, if a Van runs a check point...what to do? WHat would you do?

These "arm chair" Generals really crack me up. Its stupefying.

What it takes is putting barriers in the road, the soldiers were stupid not to have done this, and taken up positions away from the check point, an S barrier woulds suffice. A couple of APC's on the side do not make a road block. Funny coming from an arm chair politician.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Sometimes, I truly believe they actually "want" to be killed, so they will receive their "heavenly reward" and it will all be over.

That is by far one of the most hateful and hurtful things I have ever heard. Yes, I am sure most women and children are just lining up to be killed so that the United States will look bad...

• Xander
    Xander
    Independent accounts

'INDEPENDENT'?!?!

WTF are YOU smoking!??!

Let me see, US journalists on the scene reported no roadblock and no warning shot.

BBC news reported no roadblock and no warning shot.

The US soldiers on the scene 'blamed themselves' for not giving 'enough' of a warning shot (could well mean 'none').

Some US general back at the Pentagon claims they 'must have' fired warning shots and had a blockade.

Yeah, I suppose that IS 'independent'. "Independent" as in "has absolutely no working knowledge of the situation".

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    Independent accounts state that not only was a warning shot fired, a volley of rounds were fired into the radiator

if that is true.... again £&*kin good checkpoint.

and who are these that made independent acco unts? no need for links just tell me who they are and whether they were at the scene at the time it happened. and is a BBC re porter not an independent eyewitness? usually the BBC would have a slight bias for the coalition, so why would he be lying?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit