Scriptures That Don’t Fit WT Theology

by Sea Breeze 76 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Here’s a couple good ones: a

Jesus said, “Come to Me and I will give you rest”.

Why did Jesus command us to go to him and not Jehovah?

Why does the Bible say that the name of Jesus is above every name?

Any others?

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Well we don't know Jesus said “Come to Me and I will give you rest”. We only know that a book of the Bible says that Jesus said that. But if Jesus did say “Come to Me and I will give you rest”, I don't know why he didn't tell his followers to go to YHWH/Yahweh/Jehovah God for rest instead. Yes the NT says that God sent Jesus as a means of salvation, but the OT says that YHWH Elohim is salvation and that there is no savior besides him (besides YHWH Elohim).

The modern-day non-Christian Jews (the Jews of Judaism) believe they don't need a mediator between them and YHWH God. Furthermore, they pray directly to God (without saying 'in Jesus' name). Furthermore, even the Lord's prayer (also called the "our father" prayer", which the gospels says Jesus said is the way his disciples should pray, makes no mention of Jesus. Granted according to the gospels Jesus mentioned that prayer prior to his death and thus prior to his alleged resurrection, but nonetheless that prayer does not say to pray in the name of Jesus and it does not say to pray to Jesus. It is a very non-Christian Jewish type of prayer.

Even more puzzling to me is the statement in the Greek NT Bible that the name of Jesus is above every name, and thus claimed to be above the name of YHWH/Yahweh/Jehovah. Christianity started out as a Jewish religion and the Bible of the pre-Christian Jewish religion (the OT Bible) declares that YHWH is the highest and has no equal and that no God existed before YHWH. It also says "YHWH our God is one YHWH". It is largely because of those teachings that the Jews of Judaism reject the idea that Jesus is God and why they reject the Trinity doctrine.

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

Adding the simple word “other” solves this translation obstacle, so after 60+ years with with a parenthesis around this word, the unknown translation committee boldly removed this parenthesis, hoping no one would notice.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.
    1 Timothy 2:5,6
    5 For there is one God,+ and one mediator+ between God and men,+ a man, Christ Jesus,+ 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all*+—this is what is to be witnessed to in its own due time.

Mediator - only for the 144,000?

Who is the mediator for Jehovah's Witnesses? Not Jesus! Though rarely mentioned, Jesus is not mediator to the Great Crowd of Jehovah's Witnesses or for the rest of mankind. The official doctrine is that Jesus is mediator for the 144,000 alone.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/mediator.php

• Ding
    Ding

In Watchtowerthink, come to Jesus = come to the faithful and discreet slave organization.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Abraham was "awaiting a city having real foundations, a heavenly one", which is awkwardly mistranslated in the NWT as "a place belonging to heaven", to leave open the option for his earthly resurrection.

• Konagirl
    Konagirl

@Sea Breeze - Jesus said, “Come to Me and I will give you rest”.

John 14:14 – “If you ask me anything I will do it.”

WT. Kingdom Interlinear Translation - “if ever anything you should ask me in the name of me this I shall do”

NWT - If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Well, that changed the meaning. Obviously, a JW will not ask Jesus for anything in prayer, not even the “144,000”. But if he is their mediator, why can they not ask him “anything”? And we know he is speaking of wisdom, which is sorely lacking in the organization. (John 14:26)

The story unfolds…

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6

He is the mediator for all of us who desire to follow his and obey his teachings.

“But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees—hypocrites!—because you shut the kingdom of heaven before people! For you do not enter, nor permit those wanting to go in to enter. Matt 23:13

So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door; if anyone enters through me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.” John 10:7-9

This surely points to the leaders of the Wt as today’s “thief” of John 10:10

• blondie
    blondie

Matthew 11:28,29 The WTS publications carefully avoid commenting on coming to Jesus not Jehovah. This is probably why. The WTS uses this segue as illustrated in the September 2019 July study article. By saying Jesus first and then saying Jehovah and Christ. "The load that Jesus asks us to carry is different from other loads that we must bear. For example, at the end of a day of secular work, many feel not only exhausted but also unfulfilled. By contrast, after spending time serving Jehovah and Christ, we feel a deep sense of satisfaction. "

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

neat blue dog: Abraham was [@Heb 11.16] "awaiting a city having real foundations, a heavenly one", which is awkwardly mistranslated in the NWT as "a place belonging to heaven", to leave open the option for his earthly resurrection.

In saying, "...'a heavenly one', which is awkwardly mistranslated in the NWT as 'a place belonging to heaven,' you could have dropped the prefix "mis" from "awkwardly mistranslated" above for a more accurate description.

The Greek has a genitive here, literally: "of upon [on] heavenly."

The 21st Century NT reads:
    "one that was from heaven." And Jonathan Mitchell includes this rendering in his version: "one: this is one belonging to the superior-heaven (or, that is, pertaining to the One upon the atmosphere....)"

The work, TCBL says: "The emphasis of the term is on the location--not in the sense of 'sky' but as the dwelling place of the divine."

The translation 'a place belonging to heaven' is thus acceptable, albeit, "awkward." It is finally up to the reader how to interpret this.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Psalm 143:3 Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help. The JW say to put trust in the GB and obey the GB for as was most recently strongly pointed out, they are the voice of Jesus ( you can throw up now! )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit