Help with 1975 please

by jhine 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    It might, it could. But they didn't say.

It would be dishonest to make this claim. Like asking: “What does 6000+1000=?7000, right?” Then proving it, then saying they never said the answer is 7000.

• waton
    waton
    final test with perfect humans just like with perfect Adam and Eve. —That has always been the teaching.

Fm: correct, but are wt writers trying to gaslight the r&f by insisting again and again to say the test happens "at the end" and not after? are there factions that push an before the "4 corners of the earth" agenda?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    say the test happens "at the end" and not after?

Doesn’t seem wt is implying that the test occurs during the 1000 years before it ends because the other teachings I mentioned before qualify what they mean. Need to look at the base text that is translated from to see why they choose to use the words they do.

• waton
    waton
    Need to look at the base text

Fm: The base text mentions that the nations are already in the 4 corners of the Earth "whenever" (interlinear) "otav" the 1000 years are ended, and "satan" is released. so,

come 3075 + hat makes it either a square disk or a 3 sided pyramid. where the perfect nations will be after a millenium under wt control.

Wt writer's careful wording is usually not a question of the base text, but their hidden agenda.

• jhine
    jhine

Wow , l seem to have touched a nerve here . Lots of very interesting and damning stuff , thanks everyone.

Jan

• waton
    waton

Jan, sorry to unintentionally have hijacked your thread, but wt printed 1975 in connection with the 1000 years. beginning, and Fm and I are quivelling about the end.

Fisherman, . may be wt is thinking of the light at the end of the tunnel, I am thinking of the 25 foot mark at the end of a measuring tape.

just a quirky expression of one of their past writers that they dare not abandon. They have to tread carefully, they never know what can of worms the ramifications in their story will lead to.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Desirous of change, if that article affected your life, then that falls solely on you. ~ Ratt

Naturally we are all responsible for our decisions. When we trust what some well-tended friend recommends (about a restaurant, a person to date, whatever) and find out we don't share their opinion, it was still our decision to give it a try.

What that Awake! article makes clear to me is that WT/GB clearly have no voodoo hocus-pocus Holy Spirit directing them. It would be impossible to be wrong so many times (1914/1918/1925/1941/1975/2000). However, if you believe the Bible is God's Word then you should heed it's counsel at Deut 18:20-22 --

20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.”

21 You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.

YES they have claimed to be Jehovah's modern day prophet (like Ezekiel).

Even Jesus gave the warning that should be clear that JW's are NOT his (or God's) representative. Luke21:8 --

He replied: “Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not follow them.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Rattigan350, the WT said (in one of their WT's or some other publication of theirs) that the creative days were 7,000 years long, that 6,000 years of human history would be reached in the year 1975, and that it would be appropriate for Christ's 1,000 year reign to begin in 1975, such that at the end of the 1,000 years the 7th creative day (of 7,000 years duration) would end, at which point Christ would turn over the kingdom to Jehovah God. With that line of reasoning Armageddon would have to have ended by some time in 1975, since its end (according to Revelation) precedes the abyssing of Satan for 1,000 years.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Everyone who was old enough to think in the late 1960's & early 1970's was well aware that the JW Leaders (I do not refer to CJ -- LOL) were preaching THE END was coming in 1975 (+/-). There was NO DOUBT about it. My parents were about to purchase the business where he had worked for years. They secured the loan and backed out because THE END was sooo close!

Dad retired still working for others and making them rich and is now dead. THE END (of his life) did indeed come! But still no New World!

• TD
    TD

It was never said that armageddon would happen in the fall of 1975.

You're right. They were never that explicit.

The proximity of the end to the fall of '75 was implicit in the reasoning though:

First: That in order for Jesus to be "Lord of the Sabbath," the millennial reign would need to correspond with the final thousand years of God's sabbath. (cf. Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God p. 30)

Section: That Eve was created and God's sabbath began less than a year after Adam's creation. JW's seem to be amnesiac on this point, but the claim was put into print on three separate occasions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit