Will YOU Ever Leave The Watchtower Org.?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

After being a "captive of a concept" for nearly 6 decades, I left mentally and emotionally about 8 years ago. I'm not even sure that I believe in god any longer. No fs and just a few meeting to appease my wife and mother in law. I've completely left the organization but have kept my foot in the door because of my family and friends.

I'm not at all concerned about "bringing reproach on the borg, but I am concerned about my family being scorned. Most of those that I call friends have been life-long friends, 50 plus years. I completely zone out when I do go to a meeting except when I hear some new bs and I mention it to my wife on the way home--in a kind and loving manner of course!

I still love the people, it's just the organization that I now detest. I know that others on this site have compared the wtbts to North Korea. I agree! Why don't the North Koreans just flee to the South? Their family and friends that's why.

just saying!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

what Summer Angel said...+1.

when i quit i must have assumed my wife would follow suit. she didnt. i would go along to the occasional meeting and nisan 14--but no door knocking--praying ( hated that ) or assemblies. that went on for the next 10 years. been totally free of it 36 years now. one son is totally out. another son and daughter--plus their kids--- still in it.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Long Hair Gal, & are you serious....

Yep, as LHG said, they covered the mirrors to make us sisters 'get outta there faster'...

I went to the Cow Palace, in San Francisco... probably around 2005..

I had something in my eye, I needed to check it, I went in the bathroom, and they had a little "protector clone" in front of the mirror (she was about 20) "Sorry sister, the brothers don't want us to use the mirrors" (smile, stare)

"Well, what if we have something in our eyes? and we need to see it, and what if our makeup is running down our face?" I ask.... She just repeats... I tore a corner off, right in front of her, and checked my eyes.......

Then, I went to every single women's bathroom in the whole stadium and ripped alllllll the paper of every single mirror!

Then I went downstairs to the whatever department (with another elder's wife beside me, to help keep me calm) to tell them how wrong that was.

Whew! You know? I don't think they ever did that again whilest I was going... Left in 2012.

• Sliced
    Sliced

I think some personally stay on the inside to help those on the outside- and for that I am grateful... because I still have family in and I want to help them GET OUT!

• Sorry
    Sorry

If I could afford to be out on my own, I would've left a long time ago. But, one sweet day, I'll have my freedom.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

I've wondered this every day. For the past 5 years.

It's mostly about the girl I've been married to for 23 years. She's still a true believer. My version of slow dripping isn't working. Not sure if anything will. She's brought me a lot of happiness in my life. She's beautiful and easy to live with.

2018 will be my transition year. Not sure what's going to happen with the girl I've loved most of my life.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I have been out over 30 years and just recently I was told by a family member (elder) I was too stubborn to come back. He told me you know it's the truth, you are so stubborn to admit you are wrong.A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and there are a few in JW.org...

• krismalone
    krismalone

I would leave in a new York second if I wouldn't be shunned by my family and lose my marriage. Those bastards know how to keep you in the cult by emotional blackmail.

• kairos
    kairos

I walked away, lost everyone, except my still in dub wife.
    Had to do it.

Recovery is not easy, but well worth the effort for freedom's sake.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

My parents were critical believers. They would regularly get together with two other couples, send all the kids out to play, and then criticize every single part of being a JW. Us kids heard a lot more than our parents thought we did.

When I was growing up, while the other JW kids were having home studies (I remember this being a recommended part of our lives in addition to all the freakin' meetings and service) my dad took us to the library and made us look up outside sources and write up critical thinking papers about our own beliefs.

My mother saw the light and believed herself to be annointed since before any of us kids were born. I can tell you that long before new light came out talking about how women and mentally ill people couldn't be annointed, my mother made a huge distinction between Jehovah and the very fallible humans (men) who were the Governing Body.

My father was a scientist. He became a scientist after he became a JW. He spent my entire childhood going through college all the way up to his doctorate. He learned Greek so that he could read the original Greek scriptures to understand them better. His critical comments became real questioning in my early teens.

And yet... we still went to the meetings, and in service. Part of cognitive dissonance is muscle memory and autopilot. A big part of cognitive dissonance is engaging in your normal patterns of behavior even when your mind is questioning things.

I was introverted, shy, and super submissive. Even with that, I knew that the men in the congregations I was growing up with were domineering misogynistic arses. But they were also Elders and Brothers with capital letters.

My father's family were all Catholic.... which has a lot of the same themes as the JWs. They are mostly nice people. But they are religiously conservative. We didn't have a lot of contact with them. My mother's family are almost all JWs. And her side of the family is German-American. Men are precious people, and women are dirt. Another recurring set of themes.

Even though I was submissive, shy, and introverted I still had eyes and ears and I knew when things were, Just. Wrong. I watched all the kids of the critical parents as they were treated with disdain, refused baptism over and over again, shunned for no reason sometimes, marked for no reason sometimes, and eventually forced to leave or kicked out for no good reasons. They were the children of non-conformists... people who voiced opposition. They were dangerous.

I didn't leave because of all of this. It kept me from going back. But it isn't what initiated my departure. The one defining moment for me was when I asked to get baptized. I had put in a mountain of time and effort and anyone who knew me saw it. The elder I went to told me no right away. He didn't even consider talking to the other elders. Just... no. What I didn't know was that both my sisters had made the same request at the same time. The elders apparently thought we were doing it as a game. But, it was still their responsibility to talk to us and find out if that was the case. They didn't. What I knew was that I was another kid who was being denied because my parents talked about things they shouldn't.

I was the first of my siblings to get baptized. I got baptized at the very next summer convention at the Vet Stadium. I think it was 1992 or 1993. I actually can't remember now. And it was the first and biggest act of defiance I had ever engaged in. My parents approved, as did my siblings. I didn't ask the elders again. I didn't answer any of the questions. I simply went to a convention that wasn't my own, sat with the other candidates, took the vow, and then got dunked. I was having my period, I had bronchitis and a fever of 102 but I was damned if the ignorant elders in my congregation were going to keep me from getting baptized. At the point where you are dedicating your life to the organization, I swore to Jehovah that I was devoting my life to him and not his clearly dysfunctional organization.

Then I went back to my congregation and notified the elders that I had gone and gotten baptized. To this day I wonder if it was complete shock that made them announce it from the podium to the entire congregation. And that was the beginning of the end.

I didn't even realize it at the time. I defied them in a HUGE way and nothing happened... I truly believed that God was on my side. But I also lost all faith in the organization. It was then that I started changing my life. I still struggled for a couple of years in the cult. I was still in high school. I had big problems to deal with in my personal life. But I continued to operate on autopilot.

I stopped going to the meetings when I started experiencing panic attacks so bad that I would lose control over my body and literally couldn't walk into a Kingdom Hall. It was the PTSD that finally stopped me from operating on JW autopilot. And it was the PTSD that got me thinking... but not until much later when it got better.

It was being away from the cult and leaving the guilt behind (at least a little bit of it) that made me leave mentally. It was also the fact that my little sister started a rumor about me that caused my entire extended JW family to shun me that made me leave. The rumor was a lie. No one even tried to find out from me what happened. I didn't even know my sister had done that. I was just suddenly shunned. So... I took a couple of days to think about how I wanted to live my life and I made the decision to be true to myself. My mental connection to the 'truth' ended in that moment. I went home and told my immediate family a truth about myself. My dad and my older sister were on their way out and they didn't receive the news well, but they didn't shun me. My mom and my other two siblings did. And I just never even tried to go back after that.

I mentally snapped out of it, just like that. But I still had PTSD and recovery to go through, which took decades.

So, why did I write all this out? Because leaving a cult, or a religion isn't simple. You can ask a question like you have like it is super easy, black and white, and completely illogical to stay... but that isn't how life works. We aren't just brainwashed by the cult. We are a product of our heritage, our cultures, and our societies. We are the product of our backgrounds. Then you take the fact that we were taught what we were taught... akin to the earth is flat and now we have to re-educate ourselves and figure out what is real, what is not, what we believe, what we don't and learn to find a new equilibrium and that is a massive undertaking. Nothing in life is as easy as you just made it out to be..

And, shame on you for trying to make people feel like it should be simple to sift through, figure out, and deal with all of that on top of the very real threats of losing their families and being shunned! Give people a break. That they are even questioning is huge! That they are here... is a big deal. Don't invalidate that. It isn't your place. It will take the time that it takes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit