My letter to Bethel about the flood

by Cornbread 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

Though I am a believer in the flood

Just curious, how do you reconcile 400,000 years of geological history from ice core samples indicating a global flood could not possibly have happened with your beliefs?

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Sir82- As someone who questions everything, I get my kill when archeologists come up with dates based on a simple science test called radio carbon dating. For example, they find a fossil in a rock of some fish they have never seen before. They carbon date the rock and bingo, it's 230 million years old? Where on earth do they come out with these figures?

History can only be counted back in thousands of years by means of evidence such as writings etc. Before that it was prehistory. For me, believing archeologists estimates in years based pn carbon dating would be like believing the overlapping generation teaching

• bohm
    bohm
    TruthExplorer: "As someone who questions everything, (...) They carbon date the rock and bingo, it's 230 million years old? Where on earth do they come out with these figures?"

Hi truthexplorer. It is good that you question everything, but you got to start by questioning your own assumptions. For instance nobody has ever carbon dated a rock because you can't use carbon dating on rocks.

For me, believing archeologists estimates in years based pn carbon dating would be like believing the overlapping generation teaching

You are right the historical record only goes back so far (and is largely constructed), but that's why scientists have tested carbon 14 dating against a great many external sources of verification representing very diverse chronological processes. Are you aware of that literature?

Here is a graph i made a few years back that shows the agreement between C14 dating and more than 10 external datasets offering more than 10 sources of independent confirmation of Carbon 14 dating for the past 10000 years.

• sir82
    sir82

I get my kill when archeologists come up with dates based on a simple science test called radio carbon dating.

Ice core samples have literally 0 to do with carbon dating.

I'd still sincerely like an answer to my question.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe
    Great thread! Marking.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

StarTrekAngel - "...He needs to have witnesses to the power of destruction as well as to the miracle of salvation. Noah had to be visibly doing something out of the ordinary and the salvation witnessed by either side of the story. This proved God power in front of every eye..."

Yahweh's all about the drama.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

There are so many dating methods and they are all used to confirm (or not) the validity of the other methods...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_methodologies_in_archaeology?wprov=sfla1

I'm quite sure everyone who shouts something about carbon dating rocks to millions of years old shows his own lack of knowledge on that subject, and is automatically disqualified on the topic. Especially when they try to dismiss just a single method with no valid theory or evidence on why that method is flawed, or how the other methods are wrong as well.

Why do I say that? Carbon dating is used on organic materials (not rocks) up to 60.000 (not millions) years old. If you can't get these basic facts correct, your understanding of the topic is failing big time.

(Look up the Dunning-Kruger effect)

Guess what: thousands of scientists eager to make a breakthrough discovery by proving existing methods wrong work their whole lives on refining these methods. They can be wrong, sure. But what is more likely: after years of research and verification by other researchers the methods they come up with somewhat work? Or you and me, without any knowledge, truly know the methods wrong from behind our kitchen table?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

This is a really good thread.

My understanding (from my Intro to Physical Geology course) is that the dating of ice cores is achieved by counting layers which represent the change in seasons -- not unlike counting rings in a tree gives you the age of the tree. Has absolutely nothing to do with radiocarbon dating.

So, yes, that must have been tricky for Jehovah: no rain/precipitation until 4000 years ago; then lay down what looks exactly like 400K years of snowfall (including seasonal differences) in less than a year.

He just loves to test our faith!

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    believing archeologists estimates in years based pn carbon dating would be like believing the overlapping generation teaching

Just imagine every religious book on the planet teaching the overlapping generations. And any religious leader (including non-JudeoChristian) teaching it. And any honest non religious scholar on a relevant subject (e.g theology) would confirm the overlapping generations as well.

That's what you are dismissing when thoughtlessly dismissing dating methods.

• bohm
    bohm
    So, yes, that must have been tricky for Jehovah: no rain/precipitation until 4000 years ago; then lay down what looks exactly like 400K years of snowfall (including seasonal differences) in less than a year.

BoC: You know more about this stuff than me, but do they really believe that?! I.e. the part about no rainfall? I thought they had not mentioned anything about this for something like 40 years and it was considered old light?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit