So What Drastic Money Change is Next?

by OnTheWayOut 78 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sorry that was 3000 properties they intend to sell, I misheard it.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

But when they have been making cuts since 2012 just the fact that theystill need to be selling 3,000 propertys off

quite drastic in itself

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah it’s all drastic. He says they hope that property sales will enable them to transition to a leaner budget going forward. I see a few problems with that:

1. donations are likely to decline not increase, or remain static

2. cuts in organisations rarely bring the savings hoped for

3. JWs are not equipped psychologically, ideologically, or technically to reduce costs in an efficient manner

4. have they budgeted to afford the increasing cost of legal fees and settlements in abuse cases?

Many good reasons to suspect their financial woes will get worse not better.

• millie210
    millie210

I think they will start a university. Use the "wicked" world approach and the need to educate young people in a proper manner.

Their version of a Brigham Young Uni.

Then they can get parents to pay, kids to get 4 jobs and work their way through and most importantly, if they are accredited they can dip in to scholarships, grants and loan programs from the government and multiple private agencies.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    I expect that congregations that are not donating enough each month will be given the amount that is expected to be received from them and thus could be based on a publisher head count just as are the circuit assembly costs.

Yup, I've speculated on that exact scenario. It's simply too easy for them to roll this out as "nothing to see here...business as usual. Brothers, your congregation already commits to a pre-determined amount each month. At the Circuit level you already use a per-publisher calculation methodology; your congregation already uses a per-publisher donation calculation for CO insurance, disaster fund, etc., so nothing has really changed!"

BAM!: Tithing-lite

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

The issue is that no one is buying their product anymore and they can't sell it. Joel Osteen seems to be doing well he doesn't mention money much, he just encourages and empowers people to be their best. Perhaps they should change their message. A CO said to me years ago, "JW's have everything wrong, they need to scrap it and start over".

• Boredposter
    Boredposter

Is it possible congregations that don't keep up with the asked for amount of money would be disbanded? Even if they are considered spiritually healthy in all other ways?

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't abandon all conventions in favor of televised ones instead, but ask for the money to cover the cost of doing so. I know many brothers who would gladly pay not to have to travel miles away and sit on hard chairs for 7 hours for the 3 days.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Three... thousand.

Jeezus H. Christ.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    JakeM2012 - "A CO said to me years ago, 'JW's have everything wrong, they need to scrap it and start over'..."

Yeah, good luck with that.

Ten bucks says he shows up here before too long. :smirk:

Seriously though, there was even a Bethel heavy who was allegedly overheard saying that very thing back in the 90s, I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit