So What Drastic Money Change is Next?

by OnTheWayOut 78 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Okay, they cheapened the product by getting rid of hardcover books. They reduced printing of mags. They drastically reduced the number of pieces of printed paper that members would "place" in people's hands in various ways, the biggest one being that they put them on a cart and don't encourage people to take them.

They cut D.O.'s and staff, they sold Brooklyn properties, they are selling Kingdom Halls. Many conventions are at their own facilities in smaller venues than rented stadiums. They robbed every frigging congregation in the world of their bank accounts.

I am sure I forgot quite a few other cuts or steals. But what is next? Speculate as soundly or wildly as you dare. Tithing? Will they ask that you check your shoes at the door of Assembly Halls to cut down on carpet wear? Maybe they will have you bring your own toilet paper and haul off your own trash as you leave. Perhaps an absolute end to printed materials.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Charging for a subscription to a members section of JWBorg?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I can certainly see some form of tithing being imposed. Weather the R&F will accept and buy into it is another story. I can also see some sort of subscription fee forJW org been imposed. But with this it’s a case of what more important to charge a subscription fee and lose their none charity status, or not.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Oh brother.... you hate me, dont you? Slim saw this thread and passed out from excitement. Hes got 10k words written already. Sigh...

ok that aside, ive long said some for of tithing will come round. They wont call it that, but thats what it will be.. the congregation perpetual mortgage scam is a form of tithe as it is.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I could see them devising a way to wangle a sub fee somehow and calling it something else.

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

Morpheus

Apart from the great info and thoughts on this forum, for me the entertainment is the rival tennis match between you and Slim :-D

• Spiral
    Spiral

I think they are going to figure out some sort of "theocratic" (gag) way to tithe, perhaps by making everyone set up a login to the website, and then guilting them into setting up a monthly contribution. Perhaps they will create a report on the congregation publishers and expect the elders to visit ones that don't contribute and coerce them into compliance.

Many "brothers" here have no money, so I fail to see how that will work long term, but I think the bOrg is worming their way into that requirement.

• Spiral
    Spiral

I can't wait for that elder visit, by the way. No WAY is any more of my mother's money going to them!

• JeffT
    JeffT

A charity can charge fees for services without jeopardizing tax exempt status. I've been thinking for some time that they will try to figure out monetize the web site. A modest fee (even just a few dollars per month per publisher) would generate a good cash flow.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Pay-for-view, yay !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit