Thought on “0 hours” reporting

by FFGhost 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

As FFGhost said, "It is now has always been an utterly meaningless designation."

There, fixed it.

Snakes (of the "Never Turning in Time Again" Sheep Class)

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

" I seem to remember in Ray Franz's CoC he mentioned there had to be a "two thirds majority"."

What does the constitution say about that?

Doesn't the organization have a constitution?

• blondie
    blondie

If I remember correctly, if there is a 2/3 majority on the elder body vote, the minority elders must support the majority decision, thus it becomes unanimous. Probably same with GB.

• blondie
    blondie

I do remember in the 1970's a different definition came out about "sacred service" that is more than official preaching. (see 1977 WT p.466 "Thus a woman’s devoted care for her family is a part of her sacred service, since Jehovah has given her that assignment. And she should be whole-souled in carrying it out as befits an assignment from God. (Prov. 31:15, 27) The same is true of the husband, for he must carry out his assigned role to provide things needful and to give loving oversight to the family. So wives’ obedience to husbands, husbands’ love for wives, children’s obeying parents​—all should be whole-souled to be pleasing to Jehovah." "It was said that Ray Franz authored this article. Interestingly, the WTS rescinded definition in 1980, about the time Ray Franz was asked to leave Bethel (not df'd though). And the WTS printed the change in 1980 WT 8/15 (21-26) p. 23 "By those words does the apostle Paul mean that all things that we now do as Christians become “sacred service” (lat·reiʹa) because of our having a different viewpoint respecting these things? Why should that be the case? When we eat, drink and sleep and do things that all other humans are obliged to do to live, whom are we really serving? Ourselves, naturally. Yes, when we now do those things, we have God’s glory in mind. Hence, we do not overeat to the point of sickness or gluttony; we do not drink alcoholic beverages to the point of drunkenness; we do not regularly sleep too much to the point of laziness or slothfulness. Yet now when we eat, drink, sleep under the religious name of Christian witnesses of Jehovah, the same as all other humans do under their religious names, does this of itself transform these basic, essential acts of human living into “sacred service”? No..."

• Dagney
    Dagney

I was thinking about this over the last few days. What does that publisher total hours do for anybody? It's not a statistic people talk about or use, I think. Other than at the congregation level a tool for judging "spirituality" of an individual, (rolls eyes), I don't think it means much. Less work for the secretary and service department.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think this will be very interesting. If a JW does NOT check the {Active} box, he/she is making it clear that they are NOT one of JWs. At least not an "active" JW. Up until now, elderly pubs were allowed to report 15 minutes so as to remain an "active publisher". Now one doesn't really have to do anything. Leave a tract in the doctor's office. I even found one in the hospital bathroom stall.

If you can't do ONE thing every 30 days to record your "activity", it's clearly a decision you have made.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

“Growth = God’s Blessing”.

The more publishers, the more they can say they’re blessed.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Reduction in numbers and victims,,,I mean publishers cant mean they are "blessed"

• hoser
    hoser
    Vidiot14 hours ago

“Growth = God’s Blessing”.

The more publishers, the more they can say they’re blessed

They will be ble$$ed. On assembly days when they count the number of publishers x $11.00 per publisher and tell us our circuit has incurred a deficit of $5,264.39 and the contribution boxes are conveniently located at the exits but we’d prefer you donate directly to jw.borg as we really need the money now and it reduces the chance of any pilfering by the local elders.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Growth is a way of indicating that something must be worth checking out, since other people are becoming a part of it. It's why so many social media sites that allow follower tracking are rife with methods of inflating the numbers. If you've got 100 followers... that's nice. If you've got 100,000 followers... you must be doing something right. And so on.

The WTS might be concerned over the stagnation of the past few years. Once the pandemic was over, they probably expected the numbers to rebound and growth to pick up again, but perhaps that isn't happening. If they can inflate the numbers, they can present them as evidence that they have Jehovah's blessing and perhaps get more people interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit