Thought on “0 hours” reporting

by FFGhost 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I think that's exactly it. This change, and others, would not have got the unanimous vote while Tony Morris had a say.

I was surprised to hear that there has to be a unanimous vote with the GB. Is this a new thing? I seem to remember in Ray Franz's CoC he mentioned there had to be a "two thirds majority". It's a long time since I read it of course, maybe somebody has a better memory than me.

George

• Biahi
    Biahi

I was always a low hour publisher…this change would make me tape a tract to my car window, mark ‘active’. 😂

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    this change would make me tape a tract to my car window, mark ‘active’

LOL.

Any of you old-timers remember riding in the family car on the way to the summer convention, and the excitement when you saw some other car with a Watchtower taped to the inside of the rear window?

There you go, another way to “legitimately” check the “active” box next month.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

In CoC, Ray Franz mentioned that they moved from a unanimous vote to a two-thirds majority of all GB members (even if all were not present). It's possible that they have changed it back to unanimous. But if you did that and then literally removed a dissenter, it defeats the purpose.

More likely, they feared that Morris would become a loose cannon who would undermine what are already a difficult set of changes to implement, which could have led to a schism. And that would have brought the whole mess down quickly. Better to put him in a position where he could wash his hands of the matter but also would not want to speak out, lest he find himself homeless.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    Just get a car number/registration plate with JW in or
    a sticker on the car with JW . org

or--in my case--

No photo description available.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    But the actual amount of real ministry will plummet. All those “20 hour” publishers will now be “4 hour” publishers. All the current “4 hour” publishers will now become “2 minute” publishers..

You act like they didn't do that before and just lie about the time spent... :)

I've seen all sorts of people do this - just squint and write a reasonably plausible number down... 3... 4....7....2. Meh, it's not like they pull you into a back room and audit you. Did they really spend 7 hours "witnessing"? Hell no. But, maybe they showed up to one Saturday (and then drove around and got doughnuts). After that, well, perhaps they wrote letters. Who can know?

They always knew people were doing that. Now they just reduced the lie to a checkbox.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I count time on here. An acquaintance told me shaving makes you " look" like a JW. so does a car salesman outfit. More time. Is trimming my beard time?

The ministry I actually like and practice is good works helping others, both in and out

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Now that 'inactive' JWs can just tick a box because they mentioned their religion to their neighbour in passing for 3 seconds, they can be counted as 'active'.

Look forward to a significant 'increase' in the report for 2024. 🙄 But they have to release the report for 2023 first...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The GB doesn’t require a unanimous vote to change things… if that were the case, there’d be almost no point in even having a GB.

They do, however, require a two-thirds supermajority, according to Ray Franz.

That may have changed since COC was written, of course, but I don’t think so.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    TonusOH - “…they feared that Morris would become a loose cannon who would undermine what are already a difficult set of changes to implement...”

That’s a hard one to argue with.

Everything we know about the guy says that Top-Shelf would have absolutely resisted these two big things, and probably a lot more, too.

Makes one wonder who else on the GB could be regarded as hard-line Old Guard?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit