Celebrities and their stupid comments

by freedom96 63 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Dixie Chicks, playing a concert over seas, announced that they were embarrassed that our President is from Texas.

Why don't they keep their dumb ass comments to themselves?

Why do many of these entertainers think we give a sh*t what they think???

Play your music, act, entertain us, but keep your yappers shut about politics!

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Do you have a link maybe to the full quote? I am curious to read it...

And they are thinking beings themselves, aren't they allowed to have opinions and voice them? You get to voice yours here, and no one tells you to "shut up, go back to work"...doesn't really seem fair.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Don't they know they were meant to be seen and not heard!

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2003-03-14-dixie-chicks_x.htm

You're a man after my own heart!

They might be stars , but they are not the brightest people in the world. Sean Penn sure has'nt come out from hiding since his last "stupid celebrity stunt".

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I guess much like your name (Freedom), those Americans were exercising their freedom of expression, belief and thought.

You oppose that?

They have a forum (their audience) the same way journalists have their audience (forum). Is it wrong for them to use an available forum to express an opinion? From the report they simply stated an opinion. There was no attempt to force that opinion to be held by others.

From your comment, you feel they can hold an opinion but shouldn't have the freedom to express it?

Uzzah

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.q4music.com/nav?page=q4music.now.news&fixture_news=318814

One article's coverage:

14 March 2003 The Dixie Chicks have become unlikely opponents of fellow Texan, US President George Bush after speaking out against the Prez during a recent performance in London. Singer Natalie Maines told the crowd: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

But after several patriotic music fans back in the US urged radio stations to boycott the band's music, the group have expanded on the comment in an official statement on their website. The Chicks said they have been overseas for several weeks and had found the anti-American sentiment "astounding."

In a statement, Maines said: "While we support our troops, there is nothing more frightening than the notion of going to war with Iraq and the prospect of all the innocent lives that will be lost.I feel the President is ignoring the opinion of many in the US and alienating the rest of the world. My comments were made in frustration and one of the privileges of being an American is you are free to voice your own point of view."

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Several years ago K.D. Lang who was singing country music at the time, made a rather stupid statement about not eating meat. Ms. Lang was also a lesbian and nobody seemed upset about that and her career in country music was going great because, among other reasons, she had this incredible voice. Most of her support came from the part of the US that couldn't disagree more on her stance on eating meat, and her country music days came to a screeching halt.

Natalie Maines, the lead singer, is from Lubbock, Texas and, believe me, in that part of the world feeling runs high for George Bush. She has stated that she has the right to her opinion, and so she does, but some of the rest of us have the right not to buy any more of her music. It's too bad, the Chicks were my favorite group.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I don't give a rat's ass what a celebrity has to say about any issue.

The only reason their opinions are ever in the news is because they are celebrities. If they are educated in the area they are talking about (IE: Oprah on Diets) it holds more weight. (no pun, honest)

The problem is that uneducated fans will take what a celebrity says as gospel....I read or heard somewhere that Gen X & Y are getting their news mostly from MTV, Comedy Central, The Tonight Show and Late Night with David Letterman. I like most of the shows on these channels...however, I am not going to believe what they say...even with a comedic spin. They are good for a giggle.

I read the weekly news mags and the daily paper. At least if it is in writing, the likelyhood it is true is higher. I can cross check info....

I think celebrities must be controversial and say controversial things to remain celebrities in some cases.

I hope the Dixie Chicks don't get the opportunity to go entertain teh troops. If they don't support the troops leader, they should not be given the opportunity to sell CD's to lonely GI's.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

http://www.artistsnetwork.org/news6/news271.html

Sean Penn has more dollars than cents..(sense)

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

So are some of you are essentially saying the JW's were right in boycotting the music of known gays and lesbians simply because the performers were gay? they disagree with the personal opinion or lifestyule of the artist so they boycott it.

You have every right to listen to who you want. You say you don't care about what their political opinions are, but yet you would refuse to buy their music because of their political stance.

The right to be patriotic yet hold a contrary opinion and even express it is fundamental to the fabric of the US. People condemn the Elders and the Society for wanting everyone to march in step and now during wartime fervor some of these same voices are demanding other Americans now march in step.

Interesting.

Uzzah

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

That explains it. KD Lang is protien deprived,,,hmmmm maybe I'm on to something. Protein deprived=Gay or lesbianism.

As for Oprah being an expert on diet..ROTFLMAO!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit